• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hiromu Arakawa's The Heroic Legend of Arslan Manga Enters 'Final Decisive Battle'

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:36 am Reply with quote
It really is another one of those periods where it feels like every manga is ending.
-Matthew-

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:40 am Reply with quote
Finally I can read the whole manga adaptation of this amazing novel. Good news!
KutovoiAnton

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:24 am Reply with quote
So, does it mean that manga won’t cover Part 2 of the novels?
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:48 am Reply with quote
How far does this manga adapt the novels?

Even so, it's amazing how much she's worked on this.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:57 am Reply with quote
Wow, almost hard to believe it's ending.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Part 1 ends with volume 7 and the manga should be in it right now. The anime ends with volume 6 and the manga only caught up last year. So volumes 8 to 16 are off the table then but it would take another decade to adapt them with the current pacing and she always does 2 manga at once so the release schedule can´t move up. There is no way the manga´s ending can work as a conclusion unless someone else picks up the baton. The new LOGH manga is still ongoing btw and already much longer despite starting 2 years later. It will 100% cover the main plot with some of Gaiden.

The novel´s release schedule collapsed after volume 9, a 1992 release, with volume 16 finishing off the series in a controversial way in December 2017.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fluwm

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:34 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
Part 1 ends with volume 7 and the manga should be in it right now. The anime ends with volume 6 and the manga only caught up last year. So volumes 8 to 16 are off the table then but it would take another decade to adapt them with the current pacing and she always does 2 manga at once so the release schedule can´t move up. There is no way the manga´s ending can work as a conclusion unless someone else picks up the baton. The new LOGH manga is still ongoing btw and already much longer despite starting 2 years later. It will 100% cover the main plot with some of Gaiden.

The novel´s release schedule collapsed after volume 9, a 1992 release, with volume 16 finishing off the series in a controversial way in December 2017.

I have a lotta faith in Arakawa. Even if the novels end poorly -- even if the point in the novels where the adaption concludes is, well, inconclusive -- I imagine she'll still manage a satisfying ending. Even if she has to deviate from Tanaka's original story a bit to do it.

I'm definitely not gonna be holding my breath for a different artist to pick up where she left off.

Anyway, have you read the new LOGH manga? I really need to check it out someday. But if you have, right now I just gotta ask, does it reuse the mechanical design from the OVAs or DNT, or go off in a new direction? Because if there's a third version of the Brunhild out there somewhere, I need to see it.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:16 am Reply with quote
The 2015 LOGH manga looks just like Shiki as his manga for that novel is what he is known for. (The anime mostly adapted it.) The CG ships look similar to the reboot anime but the characters are highly stylized and look like no other version. Most of the designs are great, Reuenthal got the longest ponytail of all time and the scale is insane:

Last edited by residentgrigo on Sat Jul 08, 2023 9:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SHD

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:58 am Reply with quote
Not commenting on Arakawa's Arslan because it was a huge disappointment for me, but as for this...

Fluwm wrote:
Anyway, have you read the new LOGH manga? I really need to check it out someday. But if you have, right now I just gotta ask, does it reuse the mechanical design from the OVAs or DNT, or go off in a new direction? Because if there's a third version of the Brunhild out there somewhere, I need to see it.

I've been reading Fujisaki's LoGH manga since it started, and I love it to bits. I think it's a really good adaptation of the novels, much better than DNT, as far as I'm concerned - sure, it does its own thing and has a bunch of changes and deviations, but it at least does its own thing and has a concept along which its changes and deviations work, instead of merely emulating another adaptation (and failing at even that, IMO). Also, Fujisaki is a huge LoGH fan, and this comes across from the manga, even with all the changes it's very true to the spirit of the novels and the characters. Hell, if it wasn't for the OVA I'd even say this is probably the best Reinhard in all adaptations, and definitely one of the best versions of Reuenthal (next to the OVA and the Michihara manga).

It's gotten a lot of flak for its character designs, and sure, I can't say I'm entirely on board with all the designs, but as far as the main characters go I think everyone looks really good, the world design is amazing, and as posted above, the visuals in general are great. I wish this had gotten an anime adaptation, instead of DNT.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1