• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
KONOSUBA - An Explosion on This Wonderful World! (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:14 pm Reply with quote

This Spinoff:

KONOSUBA - An Explosion on This Wonderful World! (TV)

Main Series (discussed here):

Season 01: KONOSUBA – God’s Blessing on This Wonderful World!! (TV)
Season 02: KONOSUBA - God's Blessing on This Wonderful World! 2 (TV)
Movie: KONOSUBA - God's Blessing on This Wonderful World– Legend of Crimson (movie)
Season 03: KONOSUBA – God’s Blessing on This Wonderful World! 3 (TV)

Source: Light Novel (ongoing @ 2 volumes, written by Natsume Akatsuki, illustrated by Kuroune Mishima)

Animation Studio: Drive

Genres: comedy, fantasy

Themes: isekai, parody, reincarnation

Plot Summary: One year before a certain useless goddess and NEET extraordinaire hit the scene, Megumin, the "Greatest Genius of the Crimson Magic Clan," is hard at work. Ever since a life-changing encounter in her youth, the young wizard has dedicated her every waking moment to the pursuit of the ultimate offensive magic, Explosion. (Well...every moment not spent hustling food from her self-proclaimed rival.)

And while the big sister's away, the little one will play. On a routine trip into the woods, Megumin's little sister, Komekko, finds a strange black kitten. Little does she know that this cat plays a key role in unsealing a Dark God's tomb...

Air Date & Platform:
April 5, 2023 (Wednesday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Episode Count / Runtime: 12 episodes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Edjwald

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Well, this one's going on my "Keep Watching" list. With exclamation points and little hearts.

I got my hopes up when Kazuma's voice began the show - it could be hilarious if Kazuma was the narrator throughout - but even if not, I got a lot of enjoyment out of everything that happened after too.

The Crimson Demon Clan is a pretty inspired setting with a lot of comic potential. A whole village of theater majors with destructive spells. What could go wrong?

Even the characters who aren't laugh out loud funny are still amusing. I particularly liked the instructor and the shy Yun Yun's continued function as a comic foil to all of the attention grabbing posers around her.

More, please. And keep it coming.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1

I ain't gonna lie: I'd be happier if this was the 4th season of God's Blessing on this Wonderful World with the whole gang. However, this is a pretty darn awesome consolation prize. It's great being back in this world even if some key players aren't on the scene. I consider KONOSUBA to be one of the straight up funniest franchises of all time and this show doesn't look like it's going to tarnish that reputation one little bit.

The only drag thing for me is that thanks to my garbage memory and the fact that I've only seen all the seasons and movie once, when they came out, for sure I'm going to miss certain references that would add to the enjoyment if I could actually remember their significance. For example, I could be wrong, but I think we've met that character before who Megumin's parents sold that item to. Oh well.

Just hearing Megumin yell out the word "Explosion!" is one of the great joys of my life. So yeah, as the man says, more please and keep it coming.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 5:45 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Episode 1
The only drag thing for me is that thanks to my garbage memory and the fact that I've only seen all the seasons and movie once, when they came out, for sure I'm going to miss certain references that would add to the enjoyment if I could actually remember their significance. For example, I could be wrong, but I think we've met that character before who Megumin's parents sold that item to. Oh well..

I can say with about 93% certainty that we saw the explosion mage at the hot springs city run by Aqua worshippers. It was all very ambiguous at the time.
YourNameIsMitsuha

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 4:13 pm Reply with quote
This episode felt a little slow to me, but I love our younger Megumin character design and her sister is adorable! Can't wait for her first EXPLOSION! I love most of all that the Crimson Demons value being cool above all else! I've been waiting for this since I saw trailers for it and I will be coming back every week to watch her (based on the glimpses from the original series) heart-wrenching struggles to get herself and her explosion magic recognized! Nice bakuretsu! Cool
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 7:34 am Reply with quote
The Crimson Demons are a nice nutty bunch to see in action. I would have also preferred a new season of our favorite group of idiots, but this seems like a decent second choice. Plenty of explosions and cool/cringe to be had.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2023 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Welp, this show may not be Konosuba III, but it certainly isn't just Konosuba-Lite either.

Some things I liked - besides getting a bit more info on how the Yunyun and Megamin
duels evolved - was the way the whole "dark god wreaked havoc" on the village scenario played out. Or the comic promise of the would-be Don Giovanni in the pit. Or the way all of the villagers finish their arch wizard introductions with a mundane occupation like trash collector.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2023 9:09 am Reply with quote
It may not be a Konosuba 3, but it sure is wacky enough to come close. The crimson demons are a bunch a nutcases and they are the biggest danger out there when it comes to keeping their own village safe. Gotta be tough to be the only sane person in the whole village.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2023 3:48 am Reply with quote
There's some saying out there...I can't remember by who...that if you were the only sane person in your society, you would be insane by definition. It's a bit sadistic, but I think it's hysterical that Yunyun's inferiority/shyness comes from being the most grounded in reality.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4

I'm enjoying this, but after 4 episodes, I'm finding it's not matching my level of expectation going in. Don't get me wrong, there are chuckles aplenty for me in any given episode but I'm also often left with a sense of... is that it? No doubt part of the issue lies with the three missing weirdos. I'd really love for the band to get back together. Another thing that lessens my overall enjoyment is when Megumin is mean to Yunyun who I find very sympathetic and adorable. Yeah, I know that's the running gag and yeah, her meanness is balanced out by some nice things she does for her, but... I dunno.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 5:03 am Reply with quote
I know what you mean...it doesn't help that Konosuba is in the title of the show, and I definitely don't like this show as much as Konosuba. It makes me miss Katsuma and Darkness and Aqua. At the same time, when Wednesday rolls around and I have time to watch something, I don't think, "Oh, a new Not-Konosuba episode is out."

But my expectations going in weren't all that high because it's a rare spin-off that is better than the source. I know there have been some, but I'm having trouble thinking of any examples at the moment. The good spin-offs are still usually slightly weaker tea than the original, and the bad ones outright stink on ice. I know there some rare ones that are better than the original, but I'm having a hard time thinking of any at the moment.

I'm trying not to think of Megumin as the main character and more like the lens for seeing the red demon clan. My favorite part is watching this weird social experiment of a village play out. I haven't laughed out loud much, but every episode has been at least a couple of chuckles.

As to Yunyun, I think she's my favorite character. I don't really mind the interaction with Megumin because Megumin has tried to end this weird dynamic between them and just be friends at least two or three times, and Yunyun has had her own part in keeping it going as part of her own weirdness. But my heart did bleed when Funfuru? and dodokowhatever hit Yunyun up for money. In a way, it would have been less cruel if they'd just outright tried to bully her.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 5:28 am Reply with quote
Oddly enough, I wasn't bothered by the money lending thing because that girl's brother really was ill and I didn't get the sense that the girls were being cynical about it. They seemed to feel bad about it but were just kind of desperate. It would have been a whole different kettle of fish for me if they'd been lying about the reason for needing the money.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 2:49 pm Reply with quote
I get what you all mean, but given the name, description and cover of the anime it was pretty clear what it was going to be. A lot of Megumin and since she started off in a town filled with magic wielding weirdos that is what we are getting so far. That said, I do miss Kazuma and the rest of the gang.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Oddly enough, I wasn't bothered by the money lending thing because that girl's brother really was ill and I didn't get the sense that the girls were being cynical about it. They seemed to feel bad about it but were just kind of desperate. It would have been a whole different kettle of fish for me if they'd been lying about the reason for needing the money.

It's the implication that they befriended her with this goal in mind that bugs me. And granted, it's a hypothetical scenario, but Megumin proved that they didn't exactly exhaust themselves looking for alternatives. Yunyun was the easy target.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 3:46 pm Reply with quote
smurky turkey wrote:
I get what you all mean, but given the name, description and cover of the anime it was pretty clear what it was going to be. A lot of Megumin and since she started off in a town filled with magic wielding weirdos that is what we are getting so far. That said, I do miss Kazuma and the rest of the gang.

Oh for sure. I wasn't suggesting that the show was playing a bait and switch. I knew from the get go this was going to be about Megumin and to be perfectly honest if there was going to be a spin-off series featuring just one of them, this is the one I would want most. I guess it's kinda like going to see Paul McCartney solo and thinking, "Man, wouldn't it be great if I was watching the Beatles?" Not fair, but kind of unavoidable.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4