• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: The Super Mario Bros. Sets All-Time Global Opening Record for Animated Films

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 10:31 pm Reply with quote
movie ticket prices average over twice as much now as they were just 3 years ago. this isn't a surprise at all. adjusting for normal inflation isn't even enough because ticket prices have moved up so much faster than inflation too
Heishi

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 10:44 pm Reply with quote
As a huge Mario fan, I welcome this news.

The most challenging question is however, can it break a billion and eventually dethrone the Lion King remake as the highest grossing animated movie of all time?
OrangeVision

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2023 3:37 am Reply with quote
To be honest, the fact that mario's opening is 5 days and it's 3 days for most of the rest makes this "record" feel pretty arbitrary.
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2023 6:34 am Reply with quote
OrangeVision wrote:
To be honest, the fact that mario's opening is 5 days and it's 3 days for most of the rest makes this "record" feel pretty arbitrary.

Guess it was Disney’s choice to have Frozen II not open on a Thursday.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2023 8:45 am Reply with quote
Congratulations to the film!
Araki

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2023 10:04 am Reply with quote
I remember someone around here claiming the numbers were "similar to Sonic 2". Lol. It's gonna beat Sonic 2's total run in 6 days. What a stunning success.

Which is totally fair. Unlike Sonic and its "Sonic and live action human partners" approach, Mario wasn't afraid to be a video game movie for fans.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2023 10:31 am Reply with quote
Araki wrote:
Which is totally fair. Unlike Sonic and its "Sonic and live action human partners" approach, Mario wasn't afraid to be a video game movie for fans.

Except Sonic games and other media like the comics and Sonic X have had humans in them before. This wasn’t new, something “fans” should be aware of.

Also, while I liked the Mario movie for what it is, one can easily tell Illumination put barely any effort in the writing department which is typical for them. The movie is carried hard by fanservice. And it’s a shame the new Dungeons and Dragons movie is underperforming as while it also has a lot of fanservice, it actually puts effort into its character development, themes, and story. And also understands the concept of pacing, seriously whoever wrote the Mario movie must have had one too many lattes.

But hey, watcha gonna do? Plenty of parents just want to sit their kids in front of something mindless and don’t care about quality. It’s a cute movie, but it’s HARD carried by the IP, and in terms of the actual filmmaking, only the animation and some of the voice acting (mostly Jack Black, Keegan Michael Key, and Anya Taylor Joy. Also Charlie Day, but the Mario “Bros” movie really underutilized Luigi) actually put any work in.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2023 11:06 am Reply with quote
OrangeVision wrote:

I don't think we should downplay Mario's success, yes, it did help that the movie had a one day head start, but Frozen II debuted in more markets from what I understand, so the initial box office earnings are still very impressive.

Araki wrote:
I remember someone around here claiming the numbers were "similar to Sonic 2". Lol. It's gonna beat Sonic 2's total run in 6 days. What a stunning success.

I'm not sure if the fact that the Mario movie was more faithful to the games was the only reason for its success. Though Sonic has a very vocal fanbase I think Mario is still the most recognizable video game character of all time, we only have to take a look at the games - Mario Kart 8 Deluxe has sold approximately 50 million copies on a single console, while Sonic hasn't even reached 5 million since it became a multiplatform title.
Regarding Sonic's movies "GGI character interacting with humans", I don't know if a CGI Sonic movie would be more popular than the live-action ones. I think the success of the Mario movie was because Nintendo was closely involved with its production, unlike SEGA with the Sonic movie.
@ASAnime6

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2023 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Silver Kirin wrote:
I think the success of the Mario movie was because Nintendo was closely involved with its production, unlike SEGA with the Sonic movie.
so not that mario is like 10 times more popular than sonic ?
NeoStrayCat

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2023 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
movie ticket prices average over twice as much now as they were just 3 years ago. this isn't a surprise at all. adjusting for normal inflation isn't even enough because ticket prices have moved up so much faster than inflation too

For me, not really if your city has a local/independant theather, to which the one I go to usually sells tickets for $5 all day on Tue./Sun., but on every other day for $7 before noon.

But yeah, otherwise, the SMB movie was good. And it deserves its top spot box office praise.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 3:47 am Reply with quote
Jack Black / Bowser's song "Peaches" is catching on, and fans are calling for its eligibile nomination for the Oscars Best Original Song, especially after the --not 1, but-- 2 official music videos hit online Laughing

"Peaches: Mario Movie Fans Can't Get Enough Of Bowser's Extravagant Love Song"

Quote:
In the real world, "Peaches" quickly began climbing the charts, rising to number 7 on iTunes. Its popularity even warranted a music video, starring Jack Black in a shiny green suit and Bowser-themed hat, belting his heart out and dancing around a minimalistic pink room.

The power love ballad has shot up the charts, debuting at #3 on the YouTube trending music charts with more than five million views so far, and snagged more than 70 million views on TikTok and counting.

And yes, Princess Peach's peaches are about her cute ass (remember that when the kids are belting out the song) Laughing

Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1