• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: CODA: Anime, Manga Piracy Cost Industry Around 2 Trillion Yen in 2021

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Reminder that piracy equating to "lost" sales is propaganda. It didn't cost the industry a single yen.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Complete bull, you guys need to be more grateful of the fans.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:

All well and good until your fans openly admit to pirating your work.
SaberRider

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:09 pm Reply with quote
I hate this BS that companies always promote. No, it didn't cost 2 trillion yen. That implies that anyone who pirated would have paid. And that's just not true.
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Manga is selling better than eve. In North America most folks pirate manga that either aren’t simulpubed or aren’t available for purchase at all. Apps like Manga Plus are the future but they can’t publish everything.
Pokenatic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Hard to make sales on content when said content is not available in your language. Like what, they expect us to import that obscure manga series that has no chance of getting licensed?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
JoelBurger

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:46 pm Reply with quote
The manga industry is so successful internationally that it led to paper shortages, and losers are still going to pretend that piracy has any tangible impact on the profits of multimillion dollar corporations.
theotheranimeman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Ah yes, I'm sure me reading Jojolands scanlations harmed the industry and not the fact that there is no legal way to read it in english. And I guarantee you there won't be a legal way to read it for years.
theotheranimeman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:54 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Hoppy800 wrote:

All well and good until your fans openly admit to pirating your work.

And if it wasn't for piracy, nobody outside Japan would even know that work existed.
Sariachan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Japanese companies should look more closely at what oversea publishers do with the titles they bought licenses for instead of complaining about piracy. I can't continue collecting the Italian volumes of Re:ZERO (LN) since some are out of print. I also wrote to Kadokawa about this.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 3:00 pm Reply with quote
The replies to this are a little disappointing.

The topic is obviously very nuanced, and industry reports on piracy often neglect the nuance and exaggerate the losses.

But I would hope ANN readers would be more balanced.

Piracy absolutely costs the industry money at this point (in lost revenue).

Certainly there are a lot of anime fans consuming pirated anime for free who would not pay for that anime if it wasn't available in pirated format. These fans include people in markets where anime is not available legitimately, fans who simply can't afford to pay for anime and consumers who like anime enough to watch it, but not enough to pay for it.

But there absolutely are fans who would pay for anime if they had to, but chose not to because they get it for free. Industry reports will over-estimate/exaggerate the impact of these fans, but it certainly isn't a negligeable amount of money.

As for the other two usual counter arguments:

1: "Anime is popular because of piracy." This hasn't been true in the west (North America) since the early 2000s. Yes, the foundation of modern fandom is built on fansubbing, but piracy is no longer needed for current growth in any market where most anime is available for a reasonable price. Piracy certainly is still building a future for anime in emerging markets.

2: "Anime fans who pirate buy merch." There are certainly some uber fans who pirate and then buy a ton of merch, I think this is a small number compared to the number of fans who pirate and spend very little money on the industry. It's also worth noting that the money you spend on Merch goes to merch companies, and the portion of that money that makes it back to the actual anime companies is pretty small.

If you can afford to pay for anime and manga and it is available to you legitimately, please pay for it. I'm very happy that most North American ANN readers are paying for anime and manga (love you guys). If you can't afford it, or it simply isn't available to you, I'm certainly not going to criticize you for downloading a rip or a scalation.

-t
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 3:40 pm Reply with quote
As someone on a fixed income, subscription services are the way to go. That keeps me up-to-date on anime and some manga. Sadly, there's no service for shoujo manga. I can't afford buying individual volumes anymore. At least inter-library loan is a thing. Smile
JoelBurger

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
The topic is obviously very nuanced, and industry reports on piracy often neglect the nuance and exaggerate the losses.

No, it's really not nuanced at all. The only reason the discussion would be in any way nuanced would be if the industry was actually suffering because of the piracy, which it is not. It is more profitable than it has ever been. Thanks for the wall of text for nothing.
manapear

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 5:23 pm Reply with quote
I'm interested in seeing if they ever go extensive enough into a breakdown of what has the most loss in sales due to piracy. As in not just media (manga vs anime), but even between titles/series and such.
SciasSlash

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:

1: "Anime is popular because of piracy." This hasn't been true in the west (North America) since the early 2000s.
-t

in this economy? Come on, you really think anime and manga's popularity is entirely unrelated to the ease of piracy? A lot of the biggest series are even available for free officially on streaming platforms, the fact that there's a free option is literally part of the official sales strategy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4