• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fixed: Video Player Interfering with Navigation on Mobile

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joeydoa

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 12:26 am Reply with quote
This site is slowly becoming unusable. More ads per screen than reading material. Not to mention the videos ads taking up a fifth of the screen on top.
Juno016

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 9:42 am Reply with quote
I've been a long-time user here, but it hadn't been until recently that I can't seem to load the site safely on my phone. Ads will load onto my screen suddenly or change size as I try to click a link or scroll, causing me to click the ad on accident and spend an extra several seconds backing out and reloading the page I was reading. This happens frequently.

Loading pages also takes far longer and eats up more data away from home, limiting my ability to check the site at work on my short breaks. Some embedded ads are also so large that I can't scroll the page anymore and have to reload it to scroll past the ad before it loads up and I can't scroll again. Some ads play sound while they're supposed to be muted, meaning I have to be extra careful at work if I forget to turn my sound off.

Several of the ads also do not have a large enough exit button, meaning I cannot click it without risking hitting the ad itself. I love this place and its staff and peopleーit's one of the few anime-centric places I can get my news from, and it also feels more inclusive and welcoming to someone like meーbut it is definitely becoming more and more unusable. More than a handful of times, I've just closed the site and decided to check news I missed later in the week instead of once or twice a day.

I'm sure there's a reason ANN is relying more on intrusive ads now, and I'm not sure if critiquing them here is helpful, or if finding a solution around them is possible, but I am worried the site will become very much unusable in time, like how wikia/fandom pages have become.
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for fixing it.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 10:13 pm Reply with quote
I'm curious as to when it was considered acceptable to implement hovering auto-playing video ads on every single page load on mobile. To me, it seems like a fantastic way to annoy your userbase, not to mention chew through their mobile data like crazy. Since they were added I almost never get through one or two pages on my phone before closing the tab in disgust. C'mon, guys, you're better than this.
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
I'm curious as to when it was considered acceptable to implement hovering auto-playing video ads on every single page load on mobile.

I unfortunately have to agree, I re-enabled adblock on ANN ever since the video ads started showing up even on PC. On mobile it's particularly unbearable without adblock.

Edit: Like, I feel like this is getting ridiculous
wmderemer
It...it's not like I post for you or anything!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 5:25 pm Reply with quote
joeydoa wrote:
This site is slowly becoming unusable. More ads per screen than reading material. Not to mention the videos ads taking up a fifth of the screen on top.

Yeah, I am reminded of the pain when I access the site on my work PC or another PC where I am NOT logged in to my subscriber account. I agree that it is difficult for non-subscribers, or those who do not use ad blockers to really enjoy using the site.

I never access it on my phone or iPad, so I cant speak to that, just the desktop/laptop experience
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1