• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Final Fantasy XIV Game Unveils New 'Dawntrail' Expansion for Summer 2024, Xbox Series X|S Vers

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Now that XBOX brand is basically dying out, it seems Phil changed his mind. YoshiP wanted FFXIV on XBOX for years but Phil wanted separate servers for Xbox players. YoshiP wouldn't allow that so the game couldn't come to XBOX until Phil changed his mind.
BluesPro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Expecting big things with this not-Mesoamerica setting from the creators of Hien "imperialism is great" Rijin.
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Now that XBOX brand is basically dying out, it seems Phil changed his mind. YoshiP wanted FFXIV on XBOX for years but Phil wanted separate servers for Xbox players. YoshiP wouldn't allow that so the game couldn't come to XBOX until Phil changed his mind.

Sounds like made up nonsense to me! You have any evidence for this or did you just have a bad dream.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Guess they'll have to update the free trial spiel. Laughing
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 6:36 pm Reply with quote
ScruffyKiwi wrote:
Sounds like made up nonsense to me! You have any evidence for this or did you just have a bad dream.

Only thing I found

https://gamerant.com/final-fantasy-14-xbox-one/
Covnam

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Looks great. Makes sense for a fresh start with a seemingly lighter tone after wrapping up the multi-expansion story lines that had gotten pretty dark at times.
overlordrae

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 9:53 pm Reply with quote
ScruffyKiwi wrote:
Kougeru wrote:

It is true the cross-platform chat policies were originally the reason why(i don't have a source on this on hand but do recall seeing it)

But they have been working with Phil for quite some time to try to make this happen but haven't had the resources to. Here is the interview from 2021 stating such:
https://www.vg247.com/final-fantasy-14-endwalker-interview-naoki-yoshida
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 3:31 am Reply with quote
Xbox's Phil Spencer admitted there's more work to do with Square Enix, got on a plane again, and bringing the goods. Square Enix CEO thanks Phil for making FF14 on Xbox a reailty and announces plans to partner closely on future games:

Quote:

Spencer: "I remember five years ago, it was, 'when is an Atlus game going to come to Xbox?'. So it was awesome to see three games [at the Xbox Games Showcase 2023]. Capcom announcing a new IP on the stage, also coming to Game Pass, which was great. And I say all of that, and then I can look at my friends at Square [Enix] and say 'ooh... come on!'. I gotta get on an airplane again."

CEO Takashi Kiryu: "Phil's efforts helped make this release a reality, and it wouldn't have been possible without him."

Naoki Yoshida (Yoshi-P): "I am extremely thankful, and we are committed to working with Xbox going forward.”

Spencer: "We deeply respect the rich legacy of Square Enix, and we look forward to building on the relationship that we’ve established in bringing Final Fantasy to Xbox, and partnering closely with you and the Square Enix team on future games."

CEO Takashi Kiryu: "As CEO of Square Enix, we want to continue to deliver fabulous games to fans across the world, and of course we want to welcome the Xbox community as well, and starting with today’s announcement of Final Fantasy XIV coming in Spring 2024, and whenever possible, we are planning to bring our games to Xbox for players around the world to enjoy. We’re really looking forward to working closely with Phil and the Xbox team to make this possible. New plans have been put in place to partner more closely on future games."

Seems after the whole Activision-Blizzard-King merger is almost done with now, Spencer can focus on other things that need to be done
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 11:26 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

The devs stated in the past that they resolved the cross play issue. The only reason they didn't make an Xbox version was due to a lack of resources which I assume Xbox is helping out with.
FeelMyBlade

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 11:30 pm Reply with quote
I've always been interested in the New World since 2.0 based on the few snippets we've gotten about it throughout the game. Also nice to see a potential Corsair-type class.
Los Nido

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 11:45 am Reply with quote
Genuinely cheered when I saw G'raha eat a taco in the trailer. Been waiting for tacos in the game for years. Also, all the El Dorado memes have been fun and fit along with Thancred hitting on the girls in the trailer.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1