• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tearmoon Empire (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2023 1:57 pm Reply with quote

Tearmoon Empire (TV)

Source: Light Novel (ongoing @ 14 volumes, written by Nozomu Mochitsuki, illustrated by Gilse)

Demographic: Shoujo

Animation Studio: Silver Link

Genres: comedy, drama, fantasy

Themes: aristocracy, atonement, politics, redemption, reincarnation, royalty, time travel

Plot Summary: Surrounded by the hate-filled gazes of her people, the selfish princess of the fallen Tearmoon Empire, Mia, takes one last look at the bleeding sun before the guillotine blade falls. Only to get another chance as a twelve-year-old.

With time rewound and a second chance at life dropped into her lap, she sets out to right the countless wrongs that plague the ailing Empire. Hard work and Mia don't mix, so she seeks out the aid of her loyal maid, Anne, and the brilliant minister, Ludwig.

Air Date & Platform:
October 7, 2023 (Saturday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Episode Count / Runtime: 12 episodes
----------------------------------

Sounds like a neat twist of time-traveling reincarnation. I'm getting Groundhog Day (1993) vibes, but with a one-shot redo, instead of a loop. Depending on how well-written the characters, themes, and world are, this could have a lot of potential (already at 14 light novel volumes!). It's like what Sweet Reincarnation already is, only we don't have to be disappointed by its broken promise of actual sweets-making.

Last edited by Tony K. on Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Gotta admit, I'm getting a little reincarnation fatigued (not to mention fantasy setting fatigued) so I don't have high hopes for this one. Will check it out, though, coz ya just never know.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2023 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Oh boy, is upcoming season going to be rough for you. I think it is a record-breaking season in how many fantasy anime it has (15 or so).
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2023 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Last week, I counted 19 on MAL, but it might actually be closer to 23.

Last edited by Tony K. on Wed Oct 11, 2023 3:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2023 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Good lord...

...but let me clarify: I am fantasy setting fatigued FOR SHOWS THAT ARE MEDIOCRE, GENERIC or JUST PLAIN BAD. I'll never be fatigued for good fantasy set shows like Goblin Slayer, for example. I can watch those all day long.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2023 4:41 am Reply with quote
I sort of enjoyed the Marie Antoinette getting a second chance set-up. Watching her rolling up her puffy sleeves and trying to dig deep into political reform could be fun.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 3:50 pm Reply with quote
I love a good redemption story. I'd like to see more occasional flashbacks of her old life to see just how shitty of a person she was, and how her current-past self will respond to it. In addition to the personal arc that Groundhog Day was, I feel this'll probably have a larger narrative scope that affects the kingdom itself a la Terminator (changing the future for the better, but minus the killer cyborgs).
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2023 3:25 am Reply with quote
Welp, looks like this anime is going to be a light little souffle, but that's alright. Some of the last few anime I've seen about women moving into a position of power with a doom hanging over their head had lots of crying and agonizing (the one about why so and so...Irina? moved into the Duke's mansion for example) and I like this one better.

I do wish they'd spent more time working on kingdom fixing (the solutions seem awful obvious and easily accomplished) before moving into an academy situation that will probably turn into a reverse harem. But I thought the first two episodes were fun.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2023 1:13 pm Reply with quote
I kind of hate to do it, but this is a drop for me. It is not a bad show at all, but it has also not drawn me in and my anime time is already fully booked with 30 shows every week. Maybe I will revisit it in a calmer season (I hope we still get those sometimes).
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2023 4:39 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

I didn't comment on this, but I think that was one of my Favorites of the season. I would say pretty confidently that I found it the funniest of the season, with Mia kept accidentally being amazing, while usually being a bit selfish or a little dumb. But despite that bit of selfishness in her character, she continued to actually be a very likable main character, all the while feeling different from a number similar heroines.

Despite its humour, I do enjoy the other parts that have the good kingdom management thing. Or with Sion's character really focusing on a realisation of stereotypical justice type that sees things in black and white being pretty limited without nuance.

My rating will be Very good (8/10), don't miss it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1