• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Pon no Michi (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 1:59 pm Reply with quote

Pon no Michi (TV)

Source: Manga (ongoing @ 1 volume, written by IISP, illustrated by Tsukasa Unohana)

Demographic: Shoujo

Animation Studio: OLM (Team Inoue)

Genres: slice of life

Themes: games, mahjong

Plot Summary: In Hiroshima Prefecture's Onomichi City, high school student Nashiko Jippensha was kicked out of her house. Without a place to play with her friends, she learns that the mahjong parlor that her father used to run is now vacant. She fixes the mahjong parlor and turns it into a place where she and her friends can have fun, cook, have tea, and sometimes play mahjong.

Air Date & Platform:
January 5, 2024 (Friday)
Available on: Pending

Episode Count / Runtime: 12 episodes

Last edited by Tony K. on Fri Apr 12, 2024 5:25 pm; edited 2 times in total
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:00 pm Reply with quote
I kind of forgot about this one, but I finally watched the first episode today. It seems like a decent CGDCT where all the girls are colorful and busty with a bit of magic added in thanks to the spirit of Mahjong. There will probably be plenty playing of said game too of course. The first episode did nothing wrong and was amusing, yet it did not hook me either.

Last edited by smurky turkey on Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm, if this doesn't get a legit release soon, I may have to use... other means... to sample. Sure, 'coz I need another show to watch like I need another hole in my head...
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Well, episode 2 just came out, so hopefully you have been able to watch the first one in the meantime. As for the show, it truly is a fun, drama free cute girl anime with some matches of Mahjong taking up about half of every episode so far. I will keep watching, but I doubt I will post about it here all that much since every episode seems to be half cute/half game and there is no real story or anything. it is not a setup that invites a lot of discussion.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Correction, some of the episodes are 90% cute and 10% game time. Episode 3 was basically clearning up the place, getting groceries and cooking a meal with some Mahjong jokes in between. It is all presented rather charmingly/fun.
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
Available on: Pending

Sad this is the status of the only CGDCT/SOL show of the season? Has the popularity of such shows really declined that dramatically?
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:24 am Reply with quote
They tend to be really hit or miss in general when it comes to popularity and even a hit is not crazy popular compared to the big shows every season has.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Another few episodes have gone by and the group is complete. The newest member of the group is the only real die hard Mahjong player, making for some fun moments given how lazy/not fanatic the others are.
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:39 am Reply with quote
Ep 6 - The mahjong game with Izumi wired and the girls trying not to fall asleep was hilarious.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Yup, that was a fun bit. As for episode 7, it is a beach episode, a rather solid one at that and it has been a while since I last saw one.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Good lord man, this week's episode was actually mostly about the gang playing mahjong together.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 3:11 pm Reply with quote
And so ends a real solid slice of life anime. The show does nothing new but the characters are all fun and the animation is a lot better then you would expect. As for the mahjong theme, it is there in most episodes, it takes a backseat to doing silly things though.

As for the ending, seems like there might be more on the way.
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 3:27 am Reply with quote
smurky turkey wrote:
As for the ending, seems like there might be more on the way.

Why introduce a new girl if there will not be a season two? At least I hope that is the case.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1