• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Delusional Monthly Magazine (TV).

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:50 pm Reply with quote

Delusional Monthly Magazine (TV)

Source: Original

Demographic:

Animation Studio: OLM (Team Yoshioka)

Genres: comedy, fantasy

Themes: archaeology, conspiracy, magical items, publication, transformations, workplace

Plot Summary: The story takes place in the town of Most City in a certain country. On the second floor of an old building is a publishing company that puts out a periodical called Delusional Monthly Magazine, a science magazine featuring articles about shocking, bizarre events and inexplicable phenomena that make even scientists throw up their hands in defeat.

Its staff consists only of a beautiful editor-in-chief and her one editor, Taro J. Suzuki, who are joined by grade-school-aged assistant Jiro Tanaka and his dog, Saburo. The editorial department is always empty, and Taro, Jiro, and Saburo are usually hanging out in Rock, a coffee shop on the first floor.

One day, the scientist Gorō Satō visits them for a consultation, and therein lies the beginning of an outlandish new story.

Air Date & Platform:
January 11, 2024 (Thursday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Episode Count / Runtime: 12 episodes

Last edited by Tony K. on Fri Apr 12, 2024 5:15 pm; edited 2 times in total
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Huh, well this is a first for me. No matter how I feel about a show, I usually have at least one positive comment to make, even if it is a semi snarky one. In the case of this one nothing clicked for me, that is not to say that it is bad, it just did not click in any way. Be it the characters, setting, story or constant assault of music (this is a bad one), I see no charm in any of it nor any reason to keep watching.

Hard drop.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:04 pm Reply with quote
I also dropped this one. It's not that it's without its charms, it's just that it seemed a bit too...I dunno, low budget and juvenile and ham handed? The animation had this basic, kid cartoonish quality and the characters' extreme reactions to fear or enthusiasm were Scooby Doobish. At the same time, you've got a character wanting to be a gigolo. But I could see why someone might like this. I often don't watch Shonen or Shoujo unless they've got a certain timeless quality, something particularly creative about the world or charming about the characters, and I'm not even sure this qualifies as Shonen or Shoujo. It's an odd duck, and I wish I liked this anime more, but it didn't do it for me, personally.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1

I'm sad I won't have my good buddies Edjwald and smurky to discuss this one with over the coming weeks, but their decision to drop it like a toilet bound turd reeks of sanity and common sense. Wow, that absolutely had to be the most obnoxious background music I've ever had the displeasure of hearing. It almost forced me to stop watching or at the very least turn the sound off and just read the subtitles. The composer should be taken out and shot along with whatever producer allowed this aural assault to be put in the show. The "humour" is dopey.

So why am I not joining my erudite pals and avoiding this like a leper colony? Good question. Maybe because I so strongly identify with Taro's dream to marry a sugar momma and live in pampered leisure? I did like Taro's transformation into a psychedelic Tiger-Man. And I do enjoy content that deals with wacky science/the occult. But if they insist on keeping that kind of music I won't be able to maintain...
Edjwald

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 4:55 am Reply with quote
I get where you're coming from. The show has a goofy, good-natured energy that makes me want to like it. I just can't get past the other stuff, myself.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:05 am Reply with quote
It just tries way too hard. it tries so hard in obnoxious ways that it makes the whole thing unpleasant and kills any good point it might have had.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:34 am Reply with quote
Granted...

...but other than THAT what's wrong with it??? (Hee hee hee)
Beltane70

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:48 pm Reply with quote
I rather enjoyed the episode, myself. I didn't find the music distracting at all and can't even remember what it sounded like.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:26 pm Reply with quote
How long have you been deaf, Beltane70? Wink
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:31 am Reply with quote
That is something several anime this season have a problem with. I like a bit of music, but please mind the loudness of it since I do still want to hear what the characters are saying.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:45 am Reply with quote
I didn't have any problem with the volume, it was the putrid, almost inhuman sound that threatened my sanity.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:55 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

I'm a little amazed I haven't dropped this, yet. Or rather, normally I'd be amazed but there is something about Winter 2024 that has made me weirdly accepting of virtually everything on offer. Like they say kiddies, drugs are bad, mmmkay? Anyway the goofy "humour" of this show is growing on me a bit... much like mold. Psychedelic Tiger Man continues to be a big draw for me as well. I didn't notice any super irritating bgm this time. Well, let's see how long this plays out. I fully expect to be the only person in this thread...

*listens to the lonely echo..."
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3

That dance number at the end was quite... something. I continue to exult as the only person in the world who is watching this show - YAY, ME!!!
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 1:12 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Episode 3

That dance number at the end was quite... something. I continue to exult as the only person in the world who is watching this show - YAY, ME!!![/b]

Nope! I am also watching it.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:03 am Reply with quote
Beltane70, welcome to the Delusional Monthly Magazine Viewing Club! A club with exactly two members: you and me. It's over-scientific!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2