• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - Uguu Stocks On The Rise

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 10:10 am Reply with quote
I wonder if the new English translation for Kanon will be patched into the already existing Nintendo Switch release? I personally prefer to play my games handheld, and since most of Key's library has English translations built into their Switch ports, and even in the Japanese physical cartridges, I really hope they do the same for Kanon and eventually Air if that ever comes to the US as well.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 11:11 am Reply with quote
While we’re in an old-timey VN mood this week, the Muv-Luv trilogy for Switch came out in Japan last month as a download (Extra/Unlimited, Alternative) or a ludicrously overpriced collector’s box (with a standard edition physical release coming next month), and it’s got the English translation on it, but for whatever reason there’s been no word of a release for Nintendo eShops outside of Japan.
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 11:14 am Reply with quote
Funny that this stuff comes out 24 years late. While I will be looking into a copy, 99% of the VN fans have already played a fan translated copy. I can't imagine everyone will be looking to purchase.

I would also like to see Air get a stateside release.. but my comment above goes towards that as well.

If only we could get some rereleases of some of the titles Hirameki had.. like Ever 17.
Mikan-box Glasses-kun

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Stampeed Valkyrie wrote:
If only we could get some rereleases of some of the titles Hirameki had.. like Ever 17.

God I'd love an Ever 17 rerelease (and honestly retranslation), it's not my favorite Uchikoshi VN but it's incredible just how many ideas in it would get iterated on in Zero Escape and AI: The Somnium Files. Plus, I really like Tsugumi's route.
yeehaw

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 7:34 pm Reply with quote
I don't know anything about umineko but murder mystery sounds fun, is it good?
Mikan-box Glasses-kun

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 7:47 pm Reply with quote
yeehaw wrote:
I don't know anything about umineko but murder mystery sounds fun, is it good?

Absolutely one of my favorite stories in anything ever, with imo one of the greatest soundtracks in video games. Though obligatory note that it's got some wonky pacing, is really long at about 100-150 hours total, and if you want the PS3 art and voice acting you'll have to mod it in, which is pretty easy to do at least.
Covnam

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Nice to see the new picross game, but with only 6 tracks to represent 30 games, it looks like they're repeating what I found to be the biggest miss of the previous Sega picross game, a lack of representative music -_-
Nekbone

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2024 4:04 am Reply with quote
Stampeed Valkyrie wrote:
Funny that this stuff comes out 24 years late. While I will be looking into a copy, 99% of the VN fans have already played a fan translated copy. I can't imagine everyone will be looking to purchase.

Kind of the problem with VNs for me. They're niche and take so long to be officially release that I've played all the ones I wanted unofficially. I guess it's nice it's 'officially' out but if it also ends up just being the All Ages version then the Adult version will still be stuck in Japan/fan translation only. Also the possibility of it being censored or just in general a bad translation that still makes fan-patches a requirement to play if you do go the official route.
Ebb1993

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2024 5:53 am Reply with quote
Don’t worry, I already watched The Fall Guy, and it was actually pretty fun.
Bertram

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2024 7:10 am Reply with quote
Isn't Steam really draconian when it comes to anime visual novels? I doubt they'd let the R-18 version on there. I thought I remember reading how they even cracked down on the practice of companies releasing the censored version on the platform and then also casually dropping a link to the uncensored patch as well to get around the guidelines.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2024 7:19 am Reply with quote
I was under the impression there were three different Kanon... two different Kanon releases I knew of, a voiceless 1999 release and a voiced... minus Yuichi... 2002 release with the same cast as the anime. The 2003 anime.

When did Sugita come into it? The 2006 anime. The history of the work is almost as confusing as the story itself. I played the 2002 version so I know that one was real.

At least, I think the original work was unvoiced as Yukari Tamura wasn't doing work in 1999. If they cast her before she did anything that would be amazing. Researching... From Wiki:

In the original release, there was no voice acting for the characters, but in the later versions produced for the Dreamcast and PS2, full voice acting was included. The only exception was Yuichi, who was not voiced in either version. However, the PSP release features voice acting for Yuichi, provided by Tomokazu Sugita.[33] Prototype released a Nintendo Switch version in Japan on April 20, 2023.[34]"

As I said, confusing.
FlamingFirewire

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2024 11:27 am Reply with quote
Mikan-box Glasses-kun wrote:
Stampeed Valkyrie wrote:

God I'd love an Ever 17 rerelease (and honestly retranslation), it's not my favorite Uchikoshi VN but it's incredible just how many ideas in it would get iterated on in Zero Escape and AI: The Somnium Files. Plus, I really like Tsugumi's route.

When it comes to classic VN releases, it baffles me why we haven't seen that series make any kind of resurgence. Where's a Kickstarter to re-translate & re-release Ever17? Where's any kind of modern release of it in this current console generation?
FinalVentCard
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2024 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Stampeed Valkyrie wrote:

The phrase "better late than never" comes to mind. I'm loathe to give the Mother 3 crowd any kind of validity, but even folks who've already played a thing are willing to plunk money down for it if it means having an actual copy and/or supporting the devs. Just because I "already" played Breath of Fire II doesn't mean I wouldn't want to buy another copy on a new console (heck, I have Gunstar Heroes across, like, three consoles, between my Steam account, Nintendo 3DS and Switch).

Old games matter too, and folks still love some old games.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2024 6:42 pm Reply with quote
This column should have come with a warning label. Seeing "uguu" in print again caused me almost physical pain. Laughing
Mikan-box Glasses-kun

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2024 7:04 pm Reply with quote
FlamingFirewire wrote:
When it comes to classic VN releases, it baffles me why we haven't seen that series make any kind of resurgence. Where's a Kickstarter to re-translate & re-release Ever17? Where's any kind of modern release of it in this current console generation?

It doesn't help that KID is long since dead and so the rights are sure to be a major headache (I think currently it's with Mages. and Entergram?), but the Infinity series is such an important one to the careers of some absolutely massive and popular creators in the visual novel space that it still sucks to not have the originals available.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2