• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
New Berserk: First trailer!

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kpk

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:49 am Reply with quote
www.youtube.com/watch?v=p286WtHoK2g

Ugh, CGI.

I must admit... It doesn't look very good. The CGI is too disturbing, and ugly.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:50 am Reply with quote
Good thing I'm not like you, then. 'Cause that looks way better than the crap Oriental Light and Magic put out in the TV series on a proportionately crap budget. Studio 4℃ has a history of attention to detail, so if the trailer's that good, the movie itself will certainly be better, especially in HD.
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:57 am Reply with quote
The issue isn't one of budget. It's that they're using cel-shaded CG characters instead of drawn characters. When in motion, I find them hideous and the movements completely unnatural looking.

Edit: Well, I guess you could say it is an issue of budget. It's cheaper to model 3d characters once with some modifications depending on the scenes then render them than it is to draw everything by hand. But as far as I'm concerned, you get what you pay for, and every use of 3DCG characters in anime has stuck out like a sore thumb.
kpk

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:12 am Reply with quote
hissatsu01 wrote:
The issue isn't one of budget. It's that they're using cel-shaded CG characters instead of drawn characters. When in motion, I find them hideous and the movements completely unnatural looking.

Yup, what he said.

And the action scenes especially seems to be very poorly integrated with that ugly CG.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:50 pm Reply with quote
I haven't watched a whole lot of anime in the last 5+ years. Are you telling me anime uses that much CG these days on just TV series?
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:36 pm Reply with quote
For smaller characters in the background, it is not that uncommon these days. But it still sticks out like a sore thumb. And then are shows like C last season, which used it quite a few times for closeup shots, and I thought it looked atrocious every time. I've never seen CG people done well in anime, regardless of how big a budget is attached. I'd rather they didn't even try.
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:44 pm Reply with quote
kpk wrote:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=p286WtHoK2g

Ugh, CGI.

I must admit... It doesn't look very good. The CGI is too disturbing, and ugly.

Really? I couldn't even tell it was CGI, until was pointed out. It looks more like hand animation with some 3d elements thrown in.
damien007

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:10 am Reply with quote
YYYYYEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSS! My life is now complete!

Edit: Also while im not a huge fan of CG it dosn't look to bad to me and if anyone can pull it off it's this studio. Also it's berserk so id buy it even if it looked like it was animated in the middle ages xD
salukechechzkov

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:37 pm Reply with quote
CGI is disturbing

Last edited by salukechechzkov on Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:25 am; edited 1 time in total
jaredb

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:10 pm Reply with quote
yes, officaly now in my happy place.......hope the complete the story instead of leaving us hanging like the original.
Guren Alchemist4

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Damn, I can't wait for this to be released. I'm a huge fan of the manga and have always held out hope for a continuation of the anime which sadly never came. Getting movie installments will be great, but it will probably take several years to get close to where the manga is it's storyline. As for CGI being used, I don't mind at all. I always put the storyline and content ahead of the visual aspect of a series or movie.
SecretAgent94

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:52 pm Reply with quote
HD with English Subs

I haven't seen the series at all, but I've heard lots of good things. Should I watch it or should I just wait it out for the new anime? I am doing that with Evangelion, and Hellsing Ultimate and I am getting pretty tired of waiting lol. Anyone?
rojse

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:18 am Reply with quote
SecretAgent94 wrote:
I haven't seen the series at all, but I've heard lots of good things. Should I watch it or should I just wait it out for the new anime?

The older Berserk anime is quite good - there's an interesting plot, believeable characters, and it's all rather violent, too, if you enjoy that sort of thing. On the other hand, the animation at times (particularly for large-scale battles) is rather poor - still frames instead of animation - and the show ends in a rather atrocious and abrupt manner, with only the first episode of the anime letting us know that somehow, things get ever-so-slightly better. The show is certainly worth a look, even if you want to watch the HD movies later.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1