• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: U.S. Nicktoons to Air Monsuno, Jakks Pacific to Sell Toys

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
malvarez1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:44 am Reply with quote
So after Nicktoons gets Avatar, Dragon Ball Kai, Voltron, Iron Man, Power Rangers, and Speed Racer, this seems like a step down. Sound generic.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:56 am Reply with quote
Quote:
tells a boys' action story centered around "re-awakened Monster DNA that finds its way into the unsuspecting hands of adventure-seeking boys."

Sounds like a knock off from Monster Rancher, Digimon and a little bit of Poke'mon.

Considering that Nick got Dragon Ball Z Kai though, this does seem like a significant step down. This series looks very generic and very predictable.
machetecat

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Sounds like they're trying to do the Digimon thing.

I'm not really complaining. These types of shows are usually somewhat interesting. Nickelodeon's starting to become a bit cool again. Anime hyper
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm not really complaining. These types of shows are usually somewhat interesting. Nickelodeon's starting to become a bit cool again.

I wholeheartedly agree. They've especially redeemed themselves when they aired House of Anubis (which, for once, is NOT A SITCOM!!!). Heck, if we're lucky, maybe they'll even air Digimon (which will likely never happen, but Disney doesn't air it anymore so who knows?) or go back to airing anime! Very Happy
Jessica Hart

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Is this real anime (That old Speed Racer X thing they aired years ago) or a self-made wannabe anime (Avatar)? I never heard of this show before and I like to think I'm well versed than most in obscure children's anime which never came to the US Razz

Last edited by Jessica Hart on Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
pantsmca

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
tells a boys' action story centered around "re-awakened Monster DNA that finds its way into the unsuspecting hands of adventure-seeking boys."

This might be awesome actually. Definitely seems like a throwback to the staple shows of my youth. I'll definitely give it a shot.
Emerje

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
This series looks very generic and very predictable.

Well yeah, it's geared toward six year olds. It's a rare show that can aim for that demo and still be fun for adults or vice-versa. Gotta keep it simple for those first grader brains.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ShindoW

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:28 pm Reply with quote
machetecat wrote:

Then they should get the rights from Disney and bring over Xross Wars, not fakime crap like this. Reminds me of Ben 10 mixed with Digimon Frontier.
Primus

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Jessica Hart wrote:
Is this real anime (That old Speed Racer X thing they aired years ago) or a self-made wannabe anime (Avatar)? I never heard of this show before and I like to think I'm well versed than most in obscure children's anime which never came to the US Razz

It's real as in its directed and produced in Japan, but is paid for by Americans. See maybe Afro Samurai, IGPX, Bakugan, etc.

ShindoW wrote:
machetecat wrote:

Then they should get the rights from Disney and bring over Xross Wars, not fakime crap like this. Reminds me of Ben 10 mixed with Digimon Frontier.

Disney does not have any rights for Xros Wars. In fact, they shouldn't have any rights to anything Digimon anymore.

Anyways, licensing a series is not what Jakks wanted to do. You see, the entire reason they started this franchise was to get away from relying on licensed goods, and instead produce their own brands. If they were to pick up Digimon, they'd have to continually pay both Toei, and Bandai in Japan. With this venture, they pay no one except the production houses.
Jessica Hart

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
It's real as in its directed and produced in Japan, but is paid for by Americans. See maybe Afro Samurai, IGPX, Bakugan, etc.

Oh, that makes a bit more sense then. Though only the second Bakugan series and beyond were like that; the first was just a one-shot thing in Japan and oddly enough became more popular here than there so Nelvana ordered more seasons.

Those kinds of shows always seem iffy and range from good to bad. Guess we'll have to wait and see.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Actually, this reminds me of that Canadian animated TV series (whose name is slipping off my mind at this time) about a group of 4 kids using crystals or stones to turn into elemental (air, water, etc) monster warriors............ or something....... I forgot........ Laughing

Last edited by enurtsol on Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
MrHatandClogs

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Jessica Hart wrote:

Seeing as how this is the first news of this, and it's not airing until next year, I don't see how you would have heard of it....

Sounds interesting enough, will have to check it out.
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:18 pm Reply with quote
As long as Nick gets One Piece I'll be happy.
Primus

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Jessica Hart wrote:
Primus wrote:

Oh, that makes a bit more sense then. Though only the second Bakugan series and beyond were like that; the first was just a one-shot thing in Japan and oddly enough became more popular here than there so Nelvana ordered more seasons.

Those kinds of shows always seem iffy and range from good to bad. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

Actually, Bakugan was always produced for North America. Spin Masters (a Canadian toy company) paid Nelvana (a Canadian animation company) to make them a series in the vain of Beyblade. This is why Nelvana announced the series months before a single episode aired in Japan, and why the show aired in Canada weeks after it debuted in Japan. Wink

Jakks is literally doing the exact same thing Spin Masters did in 2005/2006.

enurtsol wrote:
Actually, this reminds me of that Canadian animated TV series (whose name is slipping off my mind at this time) about a group of 4 kids using crystals or stones to turn into elemental (air, water, etc) monster warriors............ or something....... I forgot........ Laughing

Are you talking about DI Gata Defenders, or Magi-Nation by any chance?
R.G.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Daimao Raki wrote:
As long as Nick gets One Piece I'll be happy.

You'd probably be the only one.

While I personally wouldn't mind one way or another, it doesn't look like anyone else would share your feelings regarding Nickelodeon.

Last edited by R.G. on Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3