• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
An idea for AnimeNewsNetwork.com

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
molloaggie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Here's an idea that I'd like to see AnimeNewsNetwork do!

I'd like to see ya'll contract with Amazon and do the reviews and information on the anime dvds for them. I think that would be a great idea because I find your reviews so very helpful and true. And it could be great publicity if they let you put a link on your review!

I wonder if they would let Mr. Encyclopedia have access to the Amazon database to pull infomation off of that.
RantingOtaku

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 11:46 pm Reply with quote
hehe yeah, that does sound good. Amazon is so messed with their info Razz while you guys are top notch
Dark Nero

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 1:37 am Reply with quote
This should prolly go on the talkback board...just a thought....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number
vash94

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 5:57 pm Reply with quote
personall I think that they should have a Section just for people to talk you know a lounde where there are no rules. this world is made of LOOOOVE AND PEEEAAACE, LOVE AND PEACE, LOVE AND PEACE, LOVE AND PEACE. *pose*
king_micah

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 6:33 pm Reply with quote
The problem with that is it does nothing to help ANN, and only encourages bad behavior and poor grammar. That is why rants died a very very quick death.
Delthayre

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 6:52 pm Reply with quote
So that's what happened. I remember seeing that forum pop up, and then returning not to much later to find it gone.

I considered asking someone, but I wasn't convinced it hadn't been a figment of my overactive and disturbed imagination.
SkullKnight

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 8:03 am Reply with quote
Its disturbing to me how bad someone can be at grammar. How do I know? Because I am horrible. It became quite clear in my media writing class that what you think is right, isn't right at all. I'm humiliated. I"m going to stand in a corner now. Crying or Very sad

That's seven references to myself, oops 8, in first person. Rolling Eyes
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 11:49 am Reply with quote
vash94 wrote:
personall I think that they should have a Section just for people to talk you know a lounde where there are no rules.

is that _all_ you guys want nowadays? an unstructured free-form environment? it's been done before. The results aren't pretty. I have no qualms kicking users who abuse this forum, and under NO circumstances will we make a "no rules" forum. We've established rules to help ensure intelligent discussion.. or at least well-structured discussion.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Delthayre

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 3:20 pm Reply with quote
I like ANN's standards (which may well be labeled high by a lazy populace). I find it painful beyond belief to read or type grammatical shattered pseudo-sentences full of mind-numbingly sloppy misspellings, random capitization, noisome barrages of increasingly meaningless abbreviations, and single letters being used lazily in place of actual words.

Yeah, yeah, I'm a linguistics student and we're supposed to be descriptive and what-not, but screw it. If it hurts to read, I don't want to see it. There's no reason the internet should be an incomprehensible wasteland and I'm glad ANN resists allowing that.

If such a place existed there would be too much risk that the inevitable nonsensical vitriol of it would overflow and taint the saner boards on this forum.
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Delthayre wrote:
Yeah, yeah, I'm a linguistics student and we're supposed to be descriptive and what-not, but screw it.

As my historical linguistics professor says...
"Linguists may be linguists, but linguists are human, too."

:)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Big K

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 7:10 pm Reply with quote
If I could stray from the talk about bad grammer and no-rules forums, I have a non-forum idea to toss in. Remember that site Anime-net? That's the one that offered customized anime recommendations based on user ratings. Well, since that's gone, perhaps ANN can integrate the same kind of system with ANN's encyclopedia system.

Just a thought.
Emerje

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Cookie wrote:
is that _all_ you guys want nowadays? an unstructured free-form environment?

Good god no, I can go anywhere for that. It's structure and rules that keep this forum worth visiting daily.

Emerje
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1