• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New York Times Manga Best Seller List, August 21-27

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anime Remix

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:14 pm Reply with quote
How is Karakuridōji Ultimo #1 previous rank #1, when GX #7 previous rank is #1?

Anyways, I'm really glad that people also enjoy Ultimo. It was a great series, but sadly was taken out of SJ Magazine. Hopefully I can one day just start buying the graphic novels for the series...
clipeuh

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Man, sales must be way low this week if Ultimo #1 can find a way to sneak on the chart. Laughing
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:58 pm Reply with quote
An Excellent list outside of Yu-Gi-Oh! GX,K-ON and Negima! Magister Negi Magi which I'm not to fond of..those 3 in 1 editions are selling quite nicely for Viz no doubt.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:24 pm Reply with quote
I AM THE VAST UNIVERSE wrote:
An Excellent list outside of Yu-Gi-Oh! GX,K-ON and Negima! Magister Negi Magi which I'm not to fond of..those 3 in 1 editions are selling quite nicely for Viz no doubt.

I think it's more accurate to say that outside of 15-20 series, no one is buying manga, Ultimo was released a year ago. I would be shocked if it took more than a few hundred to make this list.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:59 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:

I think it's more accurate to say that outside of 15-20 series, no one is buying manga, Ultimo was released a year ago. I would be shocked if it took more than a few hundred to make this list.

So, K-On is selling that low?
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:26 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:

So, K-On is selling that low?

For all I know the 3-1 are selling really well, but the addition of a year old volume of Ultimo makes me doubt that.
Jaymie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:10 am Reply with quote
Maybe Ultimo is surging in popularity or something. A bunch of Black Butler volumes usually find their way onto the list whenever anything Black Butler-related happens (new volume, new Anime release, etc.), so maybe Ultimo was advertised heavily in SJ magazine or something. Or maybe people are buying it because they can't read it in SJ any more.
baadaku12345

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:18 pm Reply with quote
I wonder why old issues of naruto are selling better than the current one? And GX might lose it's #1 spot once Naruto 52 comes out
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:22 pm Reply with quote
I don't know why everyone's getting so worked up. ULTIMO selling well is cool by me. Not the best series, but it presents some interesting ideas and I def wanna see it finished.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Ashen Phoenix wrote:
I don't know why everyone's getting so worked up. ULTIMO selling well is cool by me. Not the best series, but it presents some interesting ideas and I def wanna see it finished.

The problem is that we don't know if Ultimo is selling well, I question why Ultimo would all of a sudden sell a ton of copies.
nekedo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:29 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Ashen Phoenix wrote:

The problem is that we don't know if Ultimo is selling well, I question why Ultimo would all of a sudden sell a ton of copies.

One word: Borders.
population_tire

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:45 pm Reply with quote
clipeuh wrote:
Man, sales must be way low this week if Ultimo #1 can find a way to sneak on the chart. Laughing

I hope that wasn't an attack on Ultimo, but I do think it's funny/weird as well.

And @ the Border comment: That's probably it considering my Borders had like 15 extra copies they were trying to sell yesterday.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1