• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Rurouni Kenshin (TV 1996 + movie + OAVs).

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 9:42 pm Reply with quote

Main Series - Rurouni Kenshin (TV 1996)
Movie - Rurouni Kenshin: The Motion Picture (movie)
1st OAV - Rurouni Kenshin: Tsuioku-hen (OAV)
2nd OAV - Rurouni Kenshin: Seisou-hen (OAV)
3rd OAV - Rurouni Kenshin: Shin Kyoto-hen (OAV)
Remake - Rurouni Kenshin (TV 2023)

Source: Manga (completed @ 28 volumes, by Nobuhiro Watsuki)

Demographic: Shounen

Animation Studio:
Main Series & Movie - Gallop
OAVs - Studio Deen

Genres: action, comedy, drama

Themes: assassins, atonement, Bakumatsu, conspiracy, historical, idealism, martial arts, Meiji, politics, revenge, samurai, Shinsengumi, swordplay, tragedy

Plot Summary: Himura Kenshin is a vagabond with a dark past and sunny disposition. Not a ronin but a rurouni, he was never a samurai, but an assassin of utmost skill in the Meiji restoration, who in the turning point of the war simply walked away. His travels lead him to Tokyo in the 11th year of the Meiji era, where he befriends a female Kendo master, a former thief, a brawler, and a doctor all with their own secrets. Together they fight off the enemies surfacing from the dark past that Kenshin cannot escape.

Air Date & Platform:
Main Series - Amazon Prime, Crunchyroll, FUNimation, HBO Max, Hulu
Movie, 1st, and 2nd OAVs - Hulu
3rd OAV - HIDIVE
----------------------------------

So I have noticed that though there are several specified threads throughout the forum there is no official Rurouni Kenshin discussion thread in the index,which is a complete and total shame. In this thread, please post thoughts, opinions, etc. relating to the anime series.

My thoughts:

Seasons 1 and 2 of the TV show were absolute gold. The character development and fighting sequences were great, particularly relating to Kenshin's haunted past and his battle with a new reality where he is now a peaceful soul.

I also think that the fight sequence between Saito and Kenshin is one of the best-animated sequences I have seen because it is vivid and has great use of color i.e. Kenshin's eyes are this golden-yellow and it is so awesome.

Season 3 was fine for what it was, the inevitable filler. However the ending was terrible.

The movie was fine except for the different voice actors, but not necessary viewing except for the most die-hard fans who cannot bear to miss anything relating to a series.

The OVAs are under more careful scrutiny by audiences for their entirely different feel from the TV series. They are more tragic but also rely on more flashbacks and a quicker telling of Kenshin's past life. Personally I was jarred by the different animation and saddened that Jincuu was never made into a fourth TV season as the production was canceled after the TV show caught up to the manga. I would have loved to see Jincuu animated as a television show.
I have mixed feelings for the OVAs- I would rather have seen the story told through another TV season, but I am glad I got to witness the whole of it at least. And the story really is beautiful with Kenshin's spoiler[wife, Tomoe, giving him the other half of his X]

Just my 2 cents. Please post because an official thread for this show would be good to add to the index Very Happy

[EDIT: At this point, I'm going to assume most, if not all of the people who've posted in this thread are already big fans of the franchise, so I'm going to take out most of the spoiler tags to enable easier reading. -TK]
SalarymanJoe

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 11:09 am Reply with quote
It's been a while since I've caught some serious flak and talking about my favorite shounen action series is where I seem to catch a lot of it. Rurouni Kenshin caught my eye because as far back as I can remember, I've always had an interest in Japanese martial arts and portrayal in film and anime. From Kurosawa's Seven Samurai to anime like Hakkenden or Ninja Scroll/Juubei Ninpucho, I thought this might be in similar vein. However, unlike Hakkenden and Ninja Scroll, this was a shounen action that was more historical fiction than just using a classical backdrop. And I like it that much more for it.

Tokyo-hen (AKA Season One): I still remember the first time I sat down with my friend and we heard Sobakasu play against the action of the first opening. The first few episodes had a very clunky flavor to them; intermittent action as a means of conflict resolution for an episode, like Mito Komon, and then more drawn out fights, such as the one between Sagara "Zanza" Sanosuke, Udo "Kurogasa" Jin'e, and finally the first match against the Oniwabanshu and Takeda Kanryu. After here, the storytelling and development becomes much, much more smooth and does a great job of balancing filler material for extra development and maintaining to manga characters and stories.

Kyoto-hen (AKA Season Two): Easily, the strongest part of the series. It starts off strong and finishes even stronger. I especially liked the split battleground between Shishio's lair at Mount Hiei and the remainder of the Kenshin-gumi and the Kyoto Oniwabanshu at the Aoiya. The additional characters, from a fairly static Saito Hajime to the incredibly dynamic Yuukyuzan "Myouou" Anji are really what made the story as incredible as it was.

Shimabara-hen (First story arc of Season Three): I really liked this arc, almost as much as Kyoto-hen. Like in the beginning of Kyoto-hen, it went a little deeper into specific points of Japanese history which had escaped much of my earlier readings. Sure, it's a little fantastic, but I thought it still provided some dynamic characters one could relate to.

Yuutaro-hen (Second continuing story arc of Season Three): A bit more of historical stretch than it's predeceasing story arcs, some sloppy animation, and kind of a wonky story but not entirely un-enjoyable.

Fusui-hen (Final Story Arc of Season Three): The straw that broke the camel's back. If I thought that the "secret" Sanada Ninja clan was a bit of a stretch on real history, then Chinese geographical magic was absolutely right out. Everything - writing, animation, presentation - was weak and Fuji TV was right to cancel it.

Remaining Season Three fillers were all hit or miss. The one about Tokugawa Yoshinobu's treasures was dreadfully boring, but the one with Sano's dog Notaro had me rolling on the floor. When the question comes up, I always recommend renting them and having other decide for themselves because they're still entertaining and shouldn't be completely avoided.

Ishin Shishi he no Requiem (AKA: The Motion Picture): I thought it was an awesome side-story film. The repetition of the Takatsuki Gentatsu and Himura Battousai did get a little old but save for a scene of awkward animation in the beginning, the animation as a whole was quite fantastic. The story, while hardly a unique premise, was very well played out by the characters and actors.

Tsuioku-hen OAV (Trust and Betrayal) is probably the finest piece of animation for the franchise. The darker tone really shows how Himura himself changed in the 14 years between the OAV and TV series's beginning. It also had a lot of the Shinsengumi and excellent fight scenes in it, which easily makes it a favorite of mine.

Seisou-hen OAV (Remembrance) is probably least liked by the majority of Kenshin fans but, flawed as it is, helped really put a definite ending onto the story which Watsuki didn't want to do. I know I am in the minority of actually liking this OAV.

If I can jump off on a tangent and expand the topic a bit, I want to talk about the music. I feel it covers a wide array of genre and instruments and plays to different strengths. For as many opening and ending themes as there are (3 OP, 6 ED for the TV alone) and all being pop music tunes (Thanks, Sony and Warner!) and the series BGM all being Western classical instruments (brass, violins, violas, percussion) I think the music at all levels ties in with the theme of the Meiji Era - trying to adapt a classic, closed society to the new ideas and culture of the West. It's a tie in that I've not found in many other anime.

In short, I picked up Kenshin on a whim almost. Looking like any other samurai flick or TV series, I was almost disappointed when I saw the era of Meiji mentioned - the death of the classic samurai. However, I was quite please when I continued on with the series in that it wasn't just a period piece but an excellent tale of historical fiction. Because of this series, I became much more interested in the Tokugawa Bakumatsu which led to the foundation of modern Japan. It's easily become one of my favorite topics in Japanese history to read about, especially the Shinsengumi.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 12:37 pm Reply with quote
rainbowcourage wrote:
I also think that the fight sequence between Saito and Kenshin is one of the best-animated sequences I have seen because it is vivid and has great use of color i.e. Kenshin's eyes are this golden-yellow and it is so awesome.

I have to completely agree with this statement. That is still one of the best animated fights I've seen to this day, and I watched Kenshin maybe five years ago. I will actually go back to this disc just to watch the two episodes with the setup for the fight and the actual fight. Saito is my favorite character from Kenshin.

Hmm... haven't watched it for a while. Might be time to drag it out again. Very Happy

I watched the first two seasons of Kenshin, and stopped at season 3 when diehard Kenshin fans told me to stay away from it. I've seen nothing really to change my mind yet. I'm fairly satisfied where season 2 ended for now.
ANBUx3

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 2:03 pm Reply with quote
kyokun703 wrote:
rainbowcourage wrote:

I have to completely agree with this statement. That is still one of the best animated fights I've seen to this day, and I watched Kenshin maybe five years ago. I will actually go back to this disc just to watch the two episodes with the setup for the fight and the actual fight. Saito is my favorite character from Kenshin.

That is still one of my favorite anime scenes of all time! It had incredibly fluid animation, and the blue tones... Ah! I gotta watch it all again.

Also, in the fillers, am I the only one who thought the "Prince Yahiko" and "Kaoru's Ring" episodes were incredibly entertaining? And yeah, Sano's dog was a good one too, SalarymanJoe. Laughing
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 2:42 pm Reply with quote
SalarymanJoe wrote:

If I can jump off on a tangent and expand the topic a bit, I want to talk about the music. I feel it covers a wide array of genre and instruments and plays to different strengths. For as many opening and ending themes as there are (3 OP, 6 ED for the TV alone) and all being pop music tunes (Thanks, Sony and Warner!) and the series BGM all being Western classical instruments (brass, violins, violas, percussion) I think the music at all levels ties in with the theme of the Meiji Era - trying to adapt a classic, closed society to the new ideas and culture of the West. It's a tie in that I've not found in many other anime.

I have to agree about the music, and I would like to say that the song "Heart of Sword" by Yaokae Mae has always stuck with me because of the poetry in its lyrics. It's absolutely beautiful and I always wish for an English version so I could listen without subtitles!

I think one thing that makes the series so great is Kenshin's character. A lot of series start with a normal character and then the audience sees the catalyst that changes that character's life. With Kenshin we start in the middle of his life and are left to peel away the layers and find out why he is either acting like a big goofball idiot who doesn't know how to handle love but can do the laundry fairly well, or a blood-thirsty assasin with the scar on his cheek as a reminder.

I <3 this about him!
SalarymanJoe

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 3:14 pm Reply with quote
rainbowcourage wrote:

I have to agree about the music, and I would like to say that the song "Heart of Sword" by Yaokae Mae has always stuck with me because of the poetry in its lyrics. It's absolutely beautiful and I always wish for an English version so I could listen without subtitles!

The name of the song is actually HEART OF SWORD ~Yoake mae~ by TM Revolution. Honestly, I like the song (and everyone else seems to) but I'm more of a fan of Curio's Kimi ni fureru dake de, Siam Shade's 1/3 no Junjou na Kanjou L'Arc~en~Ciel's the 4Th Avenue Cafe and Niji and Animetal's Towa no Mirai.

TM Revolution's singing voice is decent but I absolutely HATE his vocal interviews. He sounds like a 14 year old girl to me...
ivorymoose

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 12:15 am Reply with quote
I've finally finished watching all 3 seasons of RK plus all the OVAs including the director cuts. The 3rd season is not as bad as fans make it out to be. It is not as good as 2nd season but it is not bad. In fact, I found it entertaining up until the German knights and the feng Shui arcs when I became bored but fortunately, these are the last two arcs.

The 3rd season follows closely the themes of seasons 1 and 2, it is consistent and not damaging. It;s just boring at the end. I am very upset with "Reflections" because the personalities stray not only from the TV series but also from the OAVs 1 and 2. Kaoru turns into some sulking woman, pinning for her husband to come home while Kenshin becomes an irresponsible father and husband leaving his wife and son at home while he wanders all over Japan seeking forgiveness!?! If a man cannot look after an protect his own family, he is unfit to protect the country. The most damaging part about Reflections is that it highlights Kenshin's failure to find inner peace and forgiveness till death. The tone is very pessimistic for someone who fought so hard for his country. It's almost like a shounen turned romantic shoujo.
LightYagami

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 12:25 am Reply with quote
Samurai X - Trust and Betrayal: Is definitely a most have whether your a kenshin fan or not and I still can't think of a better way that that the OVAs(trust and betrayal only) could have been done. After watching the first two seasons I knew that kenshin went through hell and back but I didn't realize it was to that tragic extent. Needless to say I was literally crying after I saw trust and betrayal for the first time. Did anyone else shed at least one tear after watching Trust and Betrayal.
ivorymoose

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 12:31 am Reply with quote
LightYagami wrote:
Samurai X - Trust and Betrayal: Is definitely a most have whether your a kenshin fan or not and I still can't think of a better way that that the OVAs(trust and betrayal only) could have been done. After watching the first two seasons I knew that kenshin went through hell and back but I didn't realize it was to that tragic extent. Needless to say I was literally crying after I saw trust and betrayal for the first time. Did anyone else shed at least one tear after watching Trust and Betrayal.

Hmmm....I love Trust and Betrayal but nop, I did not shed a single tear! I see Tomoe as a weapon used by the enemy and must be destroyed. I know I'm cruel. I'm sure others would have shed some tears.

I like RK as a whole, my favourite scene is the smile Kenshin gave to Tsunan Tsukioka under the moonlight outside the Ministry of Interior Affairs. That is a beautiful smile. Kenshin had ice blue eyes under the moonlight.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 7:18 am Reply with quote
Wow I'm not used to seeing people being so nice to the ill fated season three. I believe I'm still the only person here though who likes this season the best. I think part of the intense hatred for the series ten years ago stemmed from the disappointment in not seeing the final arc in the manga animated. Not being a fan of Kenshin I enjoyed the third season which was the least shounen of the lot. I love the themes of science, religion, culture, and progress, that the first two parts of season three focuses on, and the focus shifting from Kenshin to other characters. The third season also doesn't seem as combat intensive compared to the rest of the series.

I will admit that the third season was a huge mistake for the franchise and the series might have lasted longer and been able to follow the rest of the manga if season three was more like season two. I do understand that this might be part of the resentment people have towards season three. To me season three is what makes Kenshin a little different from so many other Jump anime where the main character must battle a long string of mini boses (along with a rival and sidekick) while acquiring new combat techniques and leveling up before fighting the final boss structure.
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 6:37 pm Reply with quote
ivorymoose wrote:

I am very upset with "Reflections" because the personalities stray not only from the TV series but also from the OAVs 1 and 2. Kaoru turns into some sulking woman, pinning for her husband to come home while Kenshin becomes an irresponsible father and husband leaving his wife and son at home while he wanders all over Japan seeking forgiveness!?! If a man cannot look after an protect his own family, he is unfit to protect the country. The most damaging part about Reflections is that it highlights Kenshin's failure to find inner peace and forgiveness till death. The tone is very pessimistic for someone who fought so hard for his country. It's almost like a shounen turned romantic shoujo.

You are completely right about the OVAs. The characters did stray from their personalities...Kaoru went from an empowered kick-ass bring-the-bacon-home head of the household to this woman who devoted her life to waiting for one guy. Crying or Very sad And the feel of the TV series was that Kenshin was actually making some progress, particularly at the end of season 2 when he is "welcomed home." Then they turn the story around in the OVAs and make some ending that I'm pretty sure was not in the manga (have not read though)

It still brings me pain when I think of the fact that Jincuu was never animated especially since I don't read manga so I don't suppose the real story will ever be finished for me.

I don't want to make this thread a brow-beating of season 3, because that's been done enough. To be fair there were some pretty funny episodes as mentioned above, i.e. Sano's dog, the ring episode, etc. But really, magical taboo?
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Hey, there. Sorry it took so long to reply, but I did manage to notice this thread while lurking during my month-long hiatus, and here I am Very Happy.

Anyway, we dressed up as a Kenshin group at A-Kon 18 this past weekend, which I won't post pictures of, and it was a lot of fun. And just for the sake of things, I also rewatched the Kyoto arc for the 5th time on DVD beforehand to get a feel for our characters.

Needless to say, for those of you who don't know my passion and fandom for this franchise by now, I'll say it again: this is my favorite and most cherished anime/manga series ever.

Yeah, yeah~... it's all just a matter of personal opinion, and some of us may or may not be on the same wavelength when it comes to Kenshin or shounen series in general. But as many shouen titles as I've seen, this one stands out to me the most fulfilling.

The characters, themes, plot, and presentation all have this rich sense of value in them, nothing like I've seen in any other title. Some argue that Kenshin isn't all that "deep" compared to some of the more mature, non-shounen titles, but for me, personally, this is the deepest shounen title I've ever seen.

The themes on making mistakes, repenting for sins, overcoming grief or adversity in the face of death/depression, ideals of life and their contrasting natures, or whatever you want to read into: this series has so many things going for it. And of course, it's all brought to light by some very intersting and well-written characters.

Himura's strength in overcoming his guilt and trying to repent, his power of speech and charisma to save and change those he meets, Kaoru's tenderness and compassion to keep Kenshin grounded from straying away and wandering again so that he can attain his own happiness, Yahiko's befriendment (is that a word?) and idolizing of Kenshin to give Himura a reason to stay, Sano's realiziation of revenge for the Sekihoutai and grips on reality, Megumi's similar journey of repentance for her days of drug-making and her finding hope to meet her family in Aizu someday...

I could name all sorts of moral and philosophical themes from this series. Point is, Watsuki did a masterful job in constructing a wonderful story with so much depth in the characters and their interaction with one another. I mean, some of you even have to admit you can understand Shishio's logic, depending on your outlook of the world and all, right?

I don't even know where to begin analyzing this franchise. But should anyone want to debate, compare, constrast, or breakdown elements of the series, then feel free to do so. Of only the 3 shounen anime I've ever rated Masterpiece, this by far surpasses even the mere thought of categorizing and into my #1 TV series of all time as well.
Kyuriko

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:31 am Reply with quote
The first time I watched Rurouni Kenshin was when it was first beginning to air on Toonami; in fact, it was the first episode. I originally passed it off as "just another new anime". I would never have imagined that I would be so drawn in to a point where I can confidently state that Rurouni Kenshin is my most favorite anime and manga series of all time. If there was one series I would want to own in its entirety, Rurouni Kenshin is the one I'm willing to shell out the money for.

Story. One of the things I admire the most about RuroKen is definitely the story. It's difficult to find a shounen series that emphasizes themes other than friendship and teamwork and carries them out so effectively. I love how the series "shows, not tells" the themes not only through the story, but also through the characters themselves. Not to mention, I'm impressed at how fact and fiction are intertwined so well. Watsuki, I believe, has a gift of story-telling and it's the main reason why he's my most favorite manga artist of all time as well.

Characters. I think this is the series that made me realize just how important characters can be in an anime or a manga. Without good characters it is difficult to tell a good story, and I like how Watsuki spends so much time on each individual character -- there is no character that doesn't have a purpose or at least some depth. I even found a majority of the villains to be just as likable as the main characters.

Music. I would have to agree with SalarymanJoe; the music has always been one of my other favorite aspects of the series besides the story and the characters. It certainly has the widest selection of genre I have seen not only in the soundtrack, but also for the opening and ending themes, which have wonderful lyrics. My favorite thing about the music though, is the soundtracks by Noriyuki Asakura who has become my favorite anime composer; I would go so far as to say he has spoiled other anime soundtracks for me and I have not considered buying many other albums since RuroKen save for a few series. I think the music especially shines in the Kyoto Arc, because it really sets the "dark" tone at that point in the story. Departure and Omoi: Odorenai Waltz (Strings Version) are my personal favorites.

As for the theme songs, I enjoy It's Gonna Rain, Towa no Mirai, The Fourth Avenue Café, Namida wa Shitteiru,and Sobakasu the most. It's Gonna Rain is probably my absolute favorite, though.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:18 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad to hear so many people appreciate the music. While Tokyo used a lot more rock and synth work, the Kyoto soundtrack just blows me away. Asakura does a great job combining those Western instruments and fusing them into the parallel emergence of Japan out of isolationism (the whole East meets West thing).

I get gooesbumps everytime I hear the strings part of Warriors Suit that's also a tribute to The Magnificent Seven. It gets me to thinking about "taking decisive action!" and all that. I wish he'd venture more into anime music. Though, I have to say I like his Tenchu albums just as much as they retain a lot of the same sound to Kyoto's music.
Stellarleen

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Hello fellow Kenshin fans Very Happy
I first watched Kenshin about a year ago and I completely fell in love with it. I am currently re-watching it; I'm about 1/3 into the Kyoto arc. The first time I watched it, it was dubbed. Going into it the second time around I knew Kenshin's Japanese VA was a woman, but the first time I heard his voice a couple weeks ago when i started re-watching, I was really.... surprised. The more feminine voice definately took some getting used to. Now, I don't know if that's because I watched it dubbed first and was used to hearing him with a more masculine voice or if I would have been surprised either way. It took me about 10-15 eps to get used to it I'd say. Did anyone else have a similar experience?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 16