• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Starz to Air Richard Roeper Anime Special in December

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eviltimes

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:21 pm Reply with quote
But in all the years of watching him on TV, I get the impression that he doesn't like anime at all!
jgreen

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I enjoy Roeper's show a lot, but he seems like a VERY odd choice for this topic. That being said, though, I'll still probably watch it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Both Roeper and Ebert liked most of the anime films reviewed on their series, but not all of them. Roeper gave both Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle positive reviews, but not for Rintaro's Metropolis. He acknowledged during the Metropolis review that he wasn't an afficionado of anime back then, but his writings have expressed more interest since. His co-host Ebert famously likes most Ghibli films and Metropolis, but was disappointed by Howl's Moving Castle, giving it a rare negative review for a Miyazaki film.
the_silent_child

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:53 pm Reply with quote
I am interested in watching this... but, man... I gotta wait till December?
Yoda117

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:56 pm Reply with quote
I also remember one of them was quite disappointed with "My Neighbor Totoro"

Actually, I believe it was Gene Siskel, who passed away in 1999 (while I might not have agreed with his view on anime, he was a very knowledgable critic within his chosen genres)
crazychild

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:09 pm Reply with quote
IIRC, Roeper gave Steamboy a thumb's up while Ebert gave it a thumb's down.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, I'll be interested to see what he has to say. (Or, well, I would be--I don't have Starz. I'll have to have someone else tell me what he says. ^^; ) I've recently started watching Ebert & Roeper and I have a lot of respect for him--he very rarely seems to bash a film when it's uncalled for. He actually tends to give positive reviews for movies I like, too, which I've been pleasantly surprised by. (It seems like a lot of times the sort of movies I like critics don't like.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Remind us in december too please.
The Shade

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Yoda117 wrote:

Actually, I believe it was Gene Siskel, who passed away in 1999 (while I might not have agreed with his view on anime, he was a very knowledgable critic within his chosen genres)

Gene Siskel didn't like it, while Roger Ebert loved it. Ebert also mentioned that he couldn't understand why Siskel didn't like it, so Ebert made it a point that he was going to take Siskel's kids to see it just to show him what a good film it was.
Yoda117

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Thanks Shade Smile

I even remember during the fade to commercial that Ebert was just shaking his head at Siskel in disbelief at some of the nonsense that Gene had been spouting.

I also remember what a huge deal the event was to the anime community as it was one of the first times that anime had gotten major notice by the mainstream.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:17 pm Reply with quote
The Shade wrote:
Yoda117 wrote:

Actually, I believe it was Gene Siskel, who passed awayin 1999 (while I might not have agreed with his view on anime, he was a very knowledgable critic within his chosen genres)

Gene Siskel didn't like it, while Roger Ebert loved it. Ebert also mentioned that he couldn't understand why Siskel didn't like it, so Ebert made it a point that he was going to take Siskel's kids to see it just to show him what a good film it was.

Best of all, Siskel actually reversed his opinion and changed his review to a thumbs-up after watching it again with his children. My Neighbor Totoro was one of the rare films for which either reviewer changed his review on second viewing. Much props for Siskel for being willing and open-minded to reaccess his opinion, and for Ebert for pushing for it.
Yoda117

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:22 pm Reply with quote
I think that's why I enjoyed the program so much. Both hosts displayed the rare quality of being able to reassess their positions without worrying about how it looked to others.

I haven't seen it in several years, but I hope that philosphy of "hey! We can be wrong sometimes and it's all good..." still prevails.
TheVok

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:55 pm Reply with quote
crazychild wrote:
IIRC, Roeper gave Steamboy a thumb's up while Ebert gave it a thumb's down.

'Steamboy' was visually gorgeous, but yeah, thumbs down for sure.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:09 pm Reply with quote
*blanch* Starz interviewed me at the American Anime Awards for this thing. So you get to see me hazily answering questions under the influence of cold medication, while I was suffering the worst cold of my life. ^^;;
Yoda117

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:45 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
*blanch* Starz interviewed me at the American Anime Awards for this thing. So you get to see me hazily answering questions under the influence of cold medication, while I was suffering the worst cold of my life. ^^;;

so it nothing to do with the fact that you'd been drinking Appletinis for three straight hours?

Razz

Sandy & I missed you at Otakon... hopefully next time Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2