• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: AnimeOnline Offers US$1.99 Funimation Video Downloads

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:30 pm Reply with quote
..and it also still requires you to be in North America to even sign up.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Katrak

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:10 pm Reply with quote
So it costs roughly $50 to watch a 26 episode series. That's not too bad.
Praetorius

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:49 pm Reply with quote
No one will buy it because it has DRM. Genius move.
SoloButterfly

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Daang...everyone is hoping on this digital download stuff now. I hope that means it's been doing well for them all so far. I've bought a few episodes from some of these services, but overall I still prefer my DVDs. Definitely a great choice for sampling series though.
Skyhawk

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:50 pm Reply with quote
I would like to download these shows if they didn't have the damn DRM. I run Linux on 5 computers and none of them will run Windows DRM garbage. I guess I will stick with FANSUBS then. And maybe buy the DVD's when they come out, rip them, and put them, without DRM on my Linux Media Center PC.
Basroil

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:09 pm Reply with quote
They could offer them for free and I wouldn't download them with that DRM crap in them.
bakaShin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:43 pm Reply with quote
great for early adopters but for the majority of us its not the best in terms of deal and convenience because of its restrictions and such.
lheiskell
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:13 am Reply with quote
Praetorius wrote:
No one will buy it because it has DRM. Genius move.

Thanks. It is a genius move. Our iTunes download numbers speaks for themselves. Awesome.

Lance Heiskell
Your Friendly Neighborhood FUNimation Guy
mskala

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:00 am Reply with quote
I'll buy when it's available without DRM. Not until then.

I know meta-discussions are unpopular in this place, but I think a significant reason there's so much misunderstanding on this point is that people don't agree on what the questions are. The industry thinks the issue is copying. Hobbyists think the issue is DRM itself. Those two aren't the same thing, because DRM has consequences (for instance, me not buying the product) that don't have much to do with copying (I'd only be buying the products for my own use anyway), and there are ways to prevent copying (for instance, with copyright law) that don't involve DRM.

You don't need DRM. As long as you insist on DRM, you don't get my business. Come up with some other way to solve whatever problems you think exist.
l33tmeatwad

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Skyhawk wrote:
I would like to download these shows if they didn't have the damn DRM. I run Linux on 5 computers and none of them will run Windows DRM garbage. I guess I will stick with FANSUBS then. And maybe buy the DVD's when they come out, rip them, and put them, without DRM on my Linux Media Center PC.

Basroil wrote:
They could offer them for free and I wouldn't download them with that DRM crap in them.

mskala wrote:
I'll buy when it's available without DRM. Not until then.

You wouldn't buy it anyways, because I know you're just like I used to be. Most people that download fansubs and things of that nature always make these "false claims about "buying the DVD when it comes out" but they usually don't unless they really like a show. Based on the fact that you get USED to this "free entertainment" you feel it is wrong for the copyright owner to try to PROTECT what is theirs. If they didn't have DRM, then it would end up on torrent sites right after, and people like you STILL wouldn't buy MOST of the shows. Personally I've cut fansubs out of my entertainment and have been in the process of purchasing all the shows I watched over the years (even the ones I didn't like so much). That isn't to say "I'm better than you," it's a "I want to support the community", which watching fansubs does NOT do...

I respect DRM, but what I hate about it with downloadable files is non-conformity...Apple won't pay to get compatibility with windows media DRM nor will they SHARE their iTunes DRM, so I blame Apple for most of the issues with DRM.
Fiction Alchemist

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:29 pm Reply with quote
This DRM isn't like Sony's DRM (the XCP), right? The one that got them in trouble that time for installing rootkit spyware on computers. I would think that sort of thing wouldn't be allowed anymore, and would hope it wouldn't be. Anyway, it's different, right?

So, what's so bad about this DRM?

Last edited by Fiction Alchemist on Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
angel1234

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:01 pm Reply with quote
How is it any different from recording off the tv with vcr or dvdrw player or tv to pc? I always convert it from my tuner card to my pc, and download fansub eps as well. The amercian license companies change to much of the story of some animes, I find it very annoying. Isnt suppose to be free entertainment anyway, its being aired on TV?. Anyone can record or tivo it or watch on pc.

Another thing anime is expensive as heck, what it is like 30$ for 4 measly episodes?, last time purchased anime, I think i spent about 200$ for a couple of dvds
ac_dropout

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Isnt suppose to be free entertainment anyway, its being aired on TV?

Very Happy No. TV shows are produced and paid for by the networks. The networks then turn around and collect from advertisers and cable/satelite subscribers.

The problem is that people falsely believe broadcast entertainment is free. That actors, writers, animators, translators all work for free. They don't.

Quote:
Another thing anime is expensive as heck, what it is like 30$ for 4 measly episodes?

Well if you want good talent to continue working on anime, then someone going to have to pay for their services. You think people sit in front of the computer animating stuff for free. That good writers pump out scripts for free. That the voice talent shows up at the studio for free.
Royal Devil

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:20 pm Reply with quote
angel1234 wrote:

Another thing anime is expensive as heck, what it is like 30$ for 4 measly episodes?, last time purchased anime, I think i spent about 200$ for a couple of dvds

You're joking right? A couple of DVDs is $60 at most. you'd need around 7 to have more than $200. That's you're own fault for not looking for money-saving deals. It's not that hard to find a site where you can get great deals (25 DVDs for $100, 10 for $50). ANN usually announces them.
l33tmeatwad

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Fiction Alchemist wrote:
So, what's so bad about this DRM?

In LOGIC, NOTHING is wrong with DRM, but in PRACTICE it's ALL f'ed up...iTunes videos will ONLY play on iTunes, iPod, and AppleTV...so you HAVE to buy apple products to play it on ANYTHING but your PC...Windows Media DRM is not supported by Apple, so you have to have devices that support that to play those on the go. Microsoft SHARES their DRM, so I respect them for that, Apple does not, so I blame Apple for DRM being such a pain in the ass.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2