• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: The Third: The Girl With the Blue Eye DVD 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daedelus

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:50 am Reply with quote
Well, I just finished watching this volume, and I must say I really enjoyed it. I'm glad that I didn't pick up any similarities to other shows while watching. Then again, I usually don't look for those kind of things like a reviewer would. Even after reading about those similarities, my mind has not changed.

It has a nice blend of action, drama, and comedy. I like the narration too.

Regarding the second music video extra: You could look at it like a next volume preview like ADV does, except it was longer and set to some nice music.

I'm eagerly awaiting volume 2. Smile
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:44 am Reply with quote
I find it interesting that Theron compared it to Tank Girl and Desert Punk, both shows that I really hated. Maybe it might resemble these series as far as setting but I will say that it does definitely resemble Kino's as far as ambiance goes, Something about it also reminds me of Now and Then, as well as Name of the Wind Amnesia, two really underrated gems in my book. I suppose this is due to the gentle pacing (does this make any sense?) of the series as opposed to Tank Girl and Desert Punk which felt like they were made for the MTV generation. There is also a touch of Makoto Kobayashi's Dragon's Heaven in it for me.

I really like the character Honoka and felt that she is one of the best parts of the series. Due to the relative small cast this is a really important factor and is one major difference between it and Desert Punk whose protagonist I despise. The series also has a cinematic feel to it. I think it might be something to do with the pacing and image framing, or maybe it is the music or small fonts used.
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:47 pm Reply with quote
It's not a bad series, but I don't find it good enough to buy. Visuals are actually pretty good and I like Honoka herself.
population_tire

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Yay, the review came out! I saw the first episode on the Otaku USA DVD. I guess I'll get the first volume, and see if I like it from there.
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:25 pm Reply with quote
daedelus wrote:

Regarding the second music video extra: You could look at it like a next volume preview like ADV does, except it was longer and set to some nice music.
. Smile

that's pretty much how I looked at it as well Wink

I pretty much agree with this reveiw through and through. At first, the narration didn't bother me, but it does get tiresome by the 4th episode. However, I like Honoka far too much for the narration to ruin the series for me Embarassed . Honoka is very energetic and a lot of fun to watch. I also love the fact that she's neither a ditzy, hyperactive spazz nor a hard-ass emotionless soldier, I love that she is such a teenager. The scene where Bogie is explaining to Iks the 'financial situation' and Honoka's 'hobby' while spoiler[Honoka grumbles and stomps around in a circle berfore snapping at Bogie] had me smiling.

The Third themselves, with the whole "technos-taboo" thing reminds me of the Guild from Last Exile, at least that was the first thing that came to mind. Overall, I find it to be quite a likeable series.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:51 pm Reply with quote
the Rancorous wrote:
The Third themselves, with the whole "technos-taboo" thing reminds me of the Guild from Last Exile, at least that was the first thing that came to mind. Overall, I find it to be quite a likeable series.

Ah, THAT is the other series I was trying to remember to reference when I wrote the review. Yeah, it definitely borrows a bit from Last Exile, too.

And frankly, I find the "preview of next volume" argument for the second AMV to be a weak cop-out. They should have just held it until the second volume.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
daedelus

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:36 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
And frankly, I find the "preview of next volume" argument for the second AMV to be a weak cop-out. They should have just held it until the second volume.

Well, when life gives you lemons........ Wink

I can see how a person can be reminded of Now and Then. Future Earth with a desert setting and all. I was also impressed with the seemingly high production values with the animation. Of course, it could be because my PS3 up-converted it to 1080p. Beautiful and crisp. Cool
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

just saying that I merely took it as that. If that was their intent, then they should have labeled it so, or they should have done what you suggested Wink
Gundam Junkie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:10 pm Reply with quote
I saw the first episode on the internet.
It looks good so far, but it was in the English dub, so I want to see the original version first before I form a proper opinion.

Looking forward to it. Very Happy
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:31 pm Reply with quote
The more I think about it the more this reminds me of Dragon's Heaven. Has anyone else seen this? The girl who lives on her own in the middle of the desert. The mecha partner who is fully sentient. Even the doting personality of the mecha seem similar. Of course Dragon's Heaven was super short and didn't have much beyond premise and setting, so I look forward to seeing how Third unfolds.
Toshirodragon

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:15 pm Reply with quote
I like the series overall, but the narrator had me screaming in frustration by about episode 3 or 4. I think because it was telling what I already figured out, so it feels very "talk down to you".

The characters are very well rounded and Bogy is the BEST tank EVER! Cool
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1