• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RE: Harlock news

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Didn't that bad guy in Doomed Megalopolis use a Star of David as a weapon?

Edit: Anyway, I was kind of surprised that he cared, considering he did paint a sympathetic portrait of German soldiers in the Cockpit. I understood the point of that first segement, but most Jews are so sensitive about the Holocaust-I'm one-that if you showed it in a Synagogue, they'd probably try to have it banned.

"You know, making a movie that attracts crowds who think that white Europeans are the only people who have suffered from hate crimes really makes me proud. I just hope that we can all learn that genocide is bad, only as long as it doesn’t generate any money and acclaim for me.”
Ataru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 5:29 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

Wow, someone else watched that series too. *L* I do belive so. I can understand that they might use the Star of David in bad way, given that when most people of cluts and other evil magic, the Star of David comes to mind. Kind of like the Card Captor cards promation was stoped because people thought it was promating inmoraral ideas. Hopely they when fix it up and go on with TV Series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 6:19 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

Doomed Megalopolis wasn't by Leiji Matsumoto. It was based on a book by Hiroshi Aramata and directed by Rintaro. To the best of my knowledge Matsumoto wasn't involved at all. And as most of us have seen, most Japanese director / authors don't have the same issues as Matsumoto does with potentially offensive religious references.

As for the star in Doomed Megalopolis, it was the 5 point star / pentagram star that is common in mysticism, not the 6 point Star of David.

Ataru wrote:

Wow, someone else watched that series too.

Doomed Megalopolis is a personal favorite.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 6:48 pm Reply with quote
This also kind of reminds me of that Pokemon card that was discontinued in the U.S., because it had a swastika, even though a swastika has a different meaning in Asian culture, and existed long before Hitler used it for propaganda.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 11:58 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

This also kind of reminds me of that Pokemon card that was discontinued in the U.S., because it had a swastika, even though a swastika has a different meaning in Asian culture, and existed long before Hitler used it for propaganda.

That's not quite correct. The Swastika was the opposite of the Bhuddist symbol. But yes, it is sad that the first thing most North Americans and Europeans will think of when they see a legitimate Bhuddist symbol is "Nazi".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1