• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Teh Rules

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blahblahblah

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 8:26 pm Reply with quote
From "Teh Rules"

Quote:
10) Users may not request or link to bootlegs, fansubs, scanilations, active fan-translating groups, peer-to-peer networks, timed scripts, or websites that house these groups or products.

Yet, ANN the site does exactly this in the case of linking to Anime Castle, which has an abundant selection of bootleg H.K. DVDs, OSTs, posters...and God knows whatelse (I got kinda disgusted looking at their catalog).

Way to stick it to 'em ANN!

P.S. Did I just violate "Teh Rules?"
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 8:30 pm Reply with quote
No, you didn't, and yes, we know about that. Yes, you and several dozen other people out there HAVE already pointed that out, and our policy IS changing.

We now reject new advertisers who sell HK products.

I don't think I can say anything more on the matter regarding AC specifically, though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blahblahblah

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Well, forgive me as I am a first time poster here, if I didn't already KNOW it was posted several dozen other times. Smile

As to the policy changing, I'll be happy to witness that when it happens.
gnollman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Cookie wrote:
I don't think I can say anything more on the matter regarding AC specifically, though.

A contributor to the website, evidently....
RantingOtaku

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 10:20 pm Reply with quote
H.K ... who is that? so I know what not to buy
gnollman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 10:28 pm Reply with quote
H.K. = Hong Kong. The great majority of pirate DVDs come from southeast Asia, and Hong Kong takes the majority of that.
cookie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Blahblahblah wrote:

You can witness it now, if you'd like: Start a company. Sell bootlegs. Then try to buy ad-space.

Oh, you sell bootlegs? You're rejected. Sorry. Have a nice day.

There you go.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blahblahblah

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Cookie wrote:
Blahblahblah wrote:

You can witness it now, if you'd like: Start a company. Sell bootlegs. Then try to buy ad-space.

Oh, you sell bootlegs? You're rejected. Sorry. Have a nice day.

There you go.

How about I simplify what I meant? If you are a reputable news outlet that is here to support the legal anime industry, Anime Castle should be dropped immediately, even if it means giving back however much advertising $$ they give you guys. I doubt they can complain too hard, as they are violating U.S and international law. Of course, this is also forgetting that you even need a new policy of not promoting illegal bootlegs instead of having one in place at the beginning.

Furthermore, I e-mailed you guys months ago, stating the same point, and actually got a response saying it was going to change, and lo and behold, nada.

I do find it infinitely humorous that even though ANN apparently didn't even look too hard into whose money they were accepting, I can get a completely facetious response.

I hope people keep bothering you guys about this until you finally take it down. But I guess Anime Castle can be grateful they got in "under the wire" on your new policy.
cookie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 12:31 am Reply with quote
Blahblahblah wrote:
Furthermore, I e-mailed you guys months ago, stating the same point, and actually got a response saying it was going to change, and lo and behold, nada.

I do find it infinitely humorous that even though ANN apparently didn't even look too hard into whose money they were accepting, I can get a completely facetious response.

Contracts can be powerful things.

Additionally, when we first started hosting Anime Castle ads, they hadn't begun selling HK DVDs.

And, as I implied before, we now DO inspect companies to make sure that they do not sell HK DVDs.

Tempest will comment further. I cannot.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 12:46 am Reply with quote
Blahblahblah wrote:

ANN's policy has changed, but policies only apply to new contracts (I've refused half a dozen advertisors in the past year over this). So if a multi-year advertising contract was signed a while back, and we changed our policy (or rather cemented our policy in writting) after this, there is nothing we can do about the older contract till it comes up for renewal.

That's the law, nothing you or I can do about it.

As for specifics regarding any of our contracts with any of our sponsors, it's not something I can openly talk about. In private I probably already told you a lot more than I am willing to write here. You have a valid concern, unfortunately the only answer I can give right now is "wait a few months." I know I've said that before, but now its a "few less months."

Sorry.

-t
Blahblahblah

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 3:18 am Reply with quote
Hey, I'm just gonna be happy when it finally happens... Call me idealistic, but I'd just like to see a news resource (which i respect) in a positive light... I am simply hopeful it'll reach that point (which I hope is a change in the calendar year)... My initial reaction is quite simply: frustration.

Or maybe that's just the time i spent at bar in between posts Laughing

Anywho, I am appreciative that I even got some kind of response.
And I am happy I got some kind of response, but I'm touchy about art-related "ownership" issues (which I know you have been in support of in terms of various editorials)

Thanks for your time

Christian
cookie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 3:39 am Reply with quote
We've said our piece. This topic merits no further public discussion, and has been locked.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1