• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Manga Entertainment Streams Dubbed First Squad Trailer

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Totally forgot this existed...been waiting years to see it. Not sure why they went with a crappy facebook stream for the trailer though..youtube does HD incase they don't know >.<
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:43 pm Reply with quote
They should insert cute girls doing cute nothings in the battle - and it will sell like hotcakes! Laughing
(Just stay away from toilet humor.)
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:04 pm Reply with quote
I've been waiting for this for, it seems like years.

This film had a marvelous conceit of being done as a documentary: with talking-heads describing the battles and reminiscing about their old commanding officer, or historians who had uncovered the secret, occult history of WWII. If you've seen Alexander Nevsky you have an idea of what all those Teutonic knights in the trailer are about.

I thought it was well done, and would love a chance to buy a copy.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:11 pm Reply with quote
I thought it was underwhelming and extremely monotonous. To anyone looking forward to it who hasn't seen it yet, drop any and all positive expectations.
Greboruri

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:12 pm Reply with quote
dm wrote:
This film had a marvelous conceit of being done as a documentary: with talking-heads describing the battles and reminiscing about their old commanding officer, or historians who had uncovered the secret, occult history of WWII.
The version released in Hong Kong and Taiwan released by Sony doesn't have the live action doco bits as I discovered. Looking at the runtime for the Japanese DVD/BD versions it doesn't seem to have them either. It's odd because at least in Sony's HK/TW version the end titles have the live action cast and crew credited. Somehow I doubt Manga’s version will have the live action doco bits. Does any video version have these segments?
GhostShell

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:34 pm Reply with quote
This title has been on my watch list for a while now. I'm looking forward to Manga Entertainment's BD release, though I haven't seen a release date for it yet.
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:28 pm Reply with quote
I understand Russian so I watch it in Russian dub and it was pretty good. But, form the first 10 seconds of hearing the dub voices it seems the English dub is not far behind in not right on the Russian dubs tail.
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Nazi's are always the bad guys. Why can't they be a good guy in an anime for once. Confused

...like a harem anime...and the male lead will be Orimura Ichika being his idiot self where he mistakes all the Nazis for militant buddhists. Laughing

LagannImpact

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:01 am Reply with quote
Wow, we're actually seeing some life out of Manga Entertainment for the first time since Monster? Too bad they lost their timeslot on the Syfy network!
configspace

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:57 am Reply with quote
It was alright. The trailer is most definitely giving people false expectations though.

enurtsol wrote:
They should insert cute girls doing cute nothings in the battle - and it will sell like hotcakes! Laughing
(Just stay away from toilet humor.)

Well, they inserted lots of old guys--as in the 3D kind--doing old folk nothings (talking, reminiscing) in the middle of everything, so maybe they're on to something

Speaking of which, people should give the Russian track a shot first
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:49 pm Reply with quote
The animation of this was quite good, the story and actual execution of the film was really so-so. If they cut out the constant switch between interviews and the movie then maybe this would still be a real worthy buy ASAP. I found it a novelty to watch an anime in Russian so hoping they would keep the Russian audio with English subs. Even as a Dub Guy this would be one I would stick to subs with.
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Good god I hope the retail release looks better than this trailer Shocked .
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1