• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Appleseed Details

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nekozuki85

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 11:55 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Calling Appleseed "The world's first real-life-CG-anime movie," sorry says, "It should be easier to empathize with the characters due to the more realistic and three-dimensional drawing."
Zeiram

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 12:37 pm Reply with quote
well, i like my characters in 2d style, but if they gonna go all out, i'll watch it ^^ gimme book 5 first though Razz
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Didn't Square say the same thing about Spirits Within...?
Tamakun

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Just from the image alone, I'm interested.

I only saw the Appleseed OVAs recently; I'm intruiged by a full-length movie. Smile
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 2:48 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Didn't Square say the same thing about Spirits Within...?

Spirits Within was never meant to be an anime. It was a 100 million dollar blockbuster aimed at the North American market. It wasn't the 3D CGI that killed it, but simply the fact that the american market isn't interested in non-familly-fare animation.

Appleseed is being made for the anime market in Japan, people who are very interested in this kind of animation. What remains to be seen is how they react to the animation itself.. If I recall correctly, A.LI.CE didn't do so well in Japan.

-t
Proman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Call me old fashioned but I prefer hand drown images to computer generated. This movie lloks cool though and I look forward to seeing it.
Zeiram

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 3:28 pm Reply with quote
i was thinken it was like spirits within (which i enjoyed, not a FF fan really, never played it) before checken the pic, so i'll correct my thinking here. looks awesome! like some revamped gits sac design (both rock, but this is much better, but hey it's a movie)

the ovas were fun, but short x_x sad, i mean i dunno, there's 4 books and the 5th has yet to be made x_X waaaa

haha, solid movie!! as long as it's solid, it'll be more than awesome
eva05

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 5:34 pm Reply with quote
As I recall didn't Shirow get about 1/4 of the way through book 5 before he decided tos top working on it? I think I have something called Appleseed Hypernotes which has about 40-50 pages of an Appleseed story that follows the events of book 4.

As for the 3d look...well it certainly can be done well. It's not traditional anime, but a new subgenre. 3d animation is actually a very interesting media and there is a lot to be done with it.

Koji Morimoto and Studio 4 C have done more than anyone (well maybe other than Oshii and the fellow who directed Voice of a Distant Star, who's new film uses even more 3d in it).

My personal feeling is that anything can be made with a high level of excellence if there's enough money backing the production.

j
king_micah

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Spirits Within also suffered from focusing on the US, but putting in a very Japanese story and theme, that is confusing for many Americans.
SkullKnight

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 6:53 pm Reply with quote
yare yare.... this is like the era of Shirow. Ghost in the Shell: innocence, Gits:SAC TV, and now Appleseed in a cg movie. With the awesome material in Gits 2:MMI there can be plenty more movies and TV to be made, even more still for Gits 1

Indeed I"m not complaining one bit!! Laughing

Not to mention his intron depot compelations, Mini poster book collections running in uppers and the book of princess togi which just came out recently. Shirow is a very very influential man to this world. I don't think I could possibly collect everything he's done, but I can try Wink .
gnollman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 8:13 pm Reply with quote
According to the picture, the film is 'Appleseed: When the fighting is over, I want to become a mother...'

Given that, I must say I'm pretty intrigued as to what the story is going to shape up to be....
cyrax777

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 12:45 am Reply with quote
king_micah wrote:
Spirits Within also suffered from focusing on the US, but putting in a very Japanese story and theme, that is confusing for many Americans.
nah it was just FF8 with 7's characters Twisted Evil and they blew all the budget on all the fancy CGI.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
The Lamb

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 5:16 pm Reply with quote
I notice a lot of Brit trance acts are getting in on the anime soundtrack scene. Paul Oakenfold (yay!) and Basement Jaxx (Boo!) for this Appleseed film, and I see Juno Reactor popping up a lot too.
It's nice to see the home acts getting about!
Zeiram

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Update!! there's a trailer out now! check the website, woo bout 80% downloaded now hehehe

edit - http://www.a-seed.jp/trailer.html
SkullKnight

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 5:36 pm Reply with quote
.........there not lying about the animation, that was incredible. I'm glad to see their still using cel-shading and not trying to make it like final fantasy SW. This is definitely an anticipated acquisition for me. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2