• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Satoshi Kon in New York Times

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sailor_titan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 6:08 pm Reply with quote
For those who want to see this article and don't subscribe to NYTimes, it was also posted online:

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/01/11/movies/11KEHR.html

The article somewhat looks down on other anime TV shows/movies, which is a bit annoying, since while a lot of anime draw on mass-appeal marketing strategies (such as Steel Angel Kurumi) others, such as Escaflowne, are excellent works of art in their own right.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
jmays
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Hm, I think it's safe to say Kon's works are a cut above most of the anime that's out there. It's a good article and a worthwhile read for anybody who didn't get to hear him at BAAF.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 7:15 pm Reply with quote
This article was also featured on the front page of the Montreal Gazette's Sunday Arts and Entertainment section, with a huge version of the picture used the New York Times article. I guess it got prominent treatment because of Kon's special connection to Montreal, where he premiered both Perfect Blue and Millenium Actress.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Antaeus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 3:46 pm Reply with quote
I'm very interested to get this NT article but the link above seems non functionnal...
Does anyone got a good link of this Satoshi KON interview ?
thanks !
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:01 pm Reply with quote
The link is working for me... you have to be a subscriber to the site to see the article, but it's free to sign-up (and you can give false information except for the e-mail address).

I did a Google News Search, and got a cluster of articles, but the only page that has that specific article is the New York Times site. There's also a review in the Village Voice by J. Hoberman and the article from this very site about the New York Times
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1