• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Archie going Manga?

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dejiko

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 10:19 am Reply with quote
Wasn't going to be done by one of the 'Rising Starts' runner-ups? Thought someone mentioned it earlier.

Edit: i thought so, Aaron White posted it before Smile
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 2:37 am Reply with quote
oh dear god. i love anime and mangas, but why do this classic american comics? this japanese invasion stuff is getting a tad out of hand
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 11:20 am Reply with quote
I remember seeing some really rawnchy hentai Archie's back in me uni days. They were obviously doujinshi like but drawn as the original. Can't see the point really after seeing the originals in colour.

Last edited by Mohawk52 on Tue Jan 13, 2004 2:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 2:09 pm Reply with quote
ugh... just ugh...

It'll be intresting if they finally give Aunt Hilda and Zelda a makeover for it though. Never got how in the tv renditions there were all... not witchy warty looking.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 2:47 pm Reply with quote
I don't know if anyone remembers this, but, back in the late 1970s/early 1980s, Archie Comics did a spin-off line of comics with younger versions of their characters, with the most famous being Li'l Archie. There was also a kiddy version of Sabrina the Teenage Witch, which, I guess, was called Li'l Sabrina. (I don't remember if that was the exact title; it's been two decades since I've read Archie, not counting the crappy Sunday newspaper strips.)

If I think about it now, the way Li'l Sabrina was drawn actually vaguely resembled the way your typical anime "magical girl" heroine is drawn, at least with the face (she didn't have an elaborate costume), though, considering they wouldn't export anything in the way of "magical girl" anime to North America for another decade-and-a-half or so, this would have been purely coincidental, due to American and Japanese artists independently using the same cartoon conventions as to how to draw stylized children's faces.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1