• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Candy Boy (ONA).

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 4:07 pm Reply with quote

Candy Boy (ONA)

Genres: comedy, romance, slice of life
Themes: school, yuri

Plot Summary: Yukino and Kanade Sakurai live together as high school students enjoying their daily life; until one day Sakuya Kamiyama confess her love for Kanade to Yukino, asking for her support. This makes Yukino to release her true feelings for her sister.
----------------------------------

The ONA series Candy Boy which doesn't involved candies nor boys and instead involves twin sisters which made yuri fans all over the internet go completely nuts over! Cool

And then comes Episode 1 which pretty much continues off from the last broadcasted episode.

I have to say that the dialouge in this episode proves that the twin sisters Kanade and Yukino are SO lesbian to each other! I mean the first scene has these:

spoiler[Kana: Yuki-chan, wake up! If you don't wake up, then I have to kiss you.

Yuki: *mumbling* Kana-chan, I want you to come to me. If you say so, Kana-chan......
Kana: Geez, what kind of dream are you having? Shocked Embarassed]

And then we have our requisite lesbian stalker, Sakuya.... spoiler[....who went nuts over Kanade's long hair and glasses! And she got new hawt, sexy pics of Kanade in exchange of giving Yukino dessert coupons.]

On the most part, this episode dealt with.... spoiler[....Kanade reminiscing how she enjoyed being under the umbrella with her sister during a rain pour. So to a certain extent, she planned out her day so she can take her under her umbrella at the next rainfall. But unfortunately, Kanade forgot to bring hers. Luckily near the end of the day, Yukino brought out hers, and the two sisters went home under the same umbrella. ]

Man, isn't this a bit better than your lame-brain genderbending plots or your everyday all-girl Catholic school settings?
Bluebeard

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 7:54 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
The ONA series Candy Boy which doesn't involved candies nor boys and instead involves twin sisters which made yuri fans all over the internet go completely nuts over!

*goes nuts* Buuut... I checked the term "ONA" in the Lexicon which gave me a brief idea what it is, but could someone perhaps explain it further? For instance- Where do I go to watch it, do these sorts of things ever get released on DVD, and is it already available subtitled or do we have to wait for an English-friendly version to be released.

<---- n00b Wink
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Bluebeard wrote:
I checked the term "ONA" in the Lexicon which gave me a brief idea what it is, but could someone perhaps explain it further?

I'm not sure you'd want the original unless you read/speak Japanese (there is a link in this article), but I just find a subs where you'd normally find them. Wink I'm not sure how it normally works with ONAs, but apparently this one was released on DVD with a CD. Doubt it'll be licensed, though.

Anyway, I watched the original 10-min. ONA that was mentioned in the very first line in this thread. It was pretty good, considering I'm not a fan of yuri. I'll definitely keep up with it when I get the chance.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jetz

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 12:57 am Reply with quote
A new episode has been released already? I've been waiting for this. When I first watched the original I immediately thought that it would be better if it had more episodes. Is it also 10 minutes long or did they make it into a regular sized episode?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Westlo

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 1:02 am Reply with quote
Was just as good as the original ONA was, the start sequence was lolz.. looking forward to more.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Westlo wrote:
Was just as good as the original ONA was ....

Agreed. I loved this new episode just as much as the original. I nearly had a cuteness overload while watching it. Good stuff, this new Candy Boy is. Anime smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
trelantana

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 1:28 am Reply with quote
Westlo wrote:
Was just as good as the original ONA was, the start sequence was lolz.. looking forward to more.

Actually, I thought the original was just a smidge better, as the premise for this newest one seemed a little more trivial than the first.

Ah, well, it was still cuter than anything else I've seen lately.

I seriously can't wait for the next episode to be released Anime hyper
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 10:02 am Reply with quote
I've been pleasantly surprised with this anime, having grabbed the ONA on a whim.

I think it's really well done, from a direction point of view there are very few wasted shots, and the colour just seems to fit. The relationship between the two is the cutest thing i've ever seen, and i've caught myself grinning at various nuances and traits the girls possess.

I'm definitely looking forward to seeing this one through til the end.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:46 am Reply with quote
There's an update on the website. Episode 2 will premiere on June 21st! Whew, I was getting worried about when the next episode will be out! Laughing

Interestingly enough, that date is the twins' birthday. Hmmm, I wonder if that is what the episode is going to be about. Wink
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2 is SO....... Anime catgrin

spoiler[Interestingly enough, this episode is set during the Christmas season. Basically, Yukino and Kanade wanted to buy Christmas gifts for each other, but they realized that if each of the go off on their own, they would end buying worthless crap for themselves. So Kanade decided that they should buy their gifts together. They came across a pair of earrings which has their birthstone on it. They were unfortunately expensive so Kanade used up their flight tickets money to buy it; they need those tickets to go back to visit their parents.

At the park Kanade admits towards Yukino that she wanted matching gifts as they used when they're kids. Yukino didn't want that because she wanted to be different. They then put their earrings on each other's ear in which Yukino ended up nibbling on her sister's ear! Embarassed

And as for Sakuya, her dad is building a new dorm building which in her mind ended being a "dream house" for Kanade. And also, she gave them as a gift three airline tickets. Looks like she's coming along! Laughing]

Man, those two are obviously lovers especially that event in the park and this!

Now the painful wait for episode 3! Crying or Very sad
DFBTG

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:19 pm Reply with quote
When I first saw the whole 10 minutes thing in the ANN encyclepedia I was sort like...meh, not really worth it. Then I came across the two already released 'episodes' (I think one was episode 1 and the other was...?) and I got hooked. Yet to be able to find 2, but I shall at some point before I die. If it continues the way it has so far, I would really love for this to be licensed and released stateside. Are my hopes high? No, but a kid can dream, right?
Bluebeard

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Is it just me, or is Media Blasters the only company I can see doing this? My hope lies in them, and not only that but they would be my company of choice to release it. It would fit right in with their Yuri Fan titles and could be released on a single DVD the same way they're releasing Dokuro-Chan with a MSRP of a mere $24.99- $5 less than the MSRP of 4 episode mainstream dvd titles. If Dokuro-Chan does well it will only improve the slim odds of a Candy Boy R1 release here, despite the unrelated sub-genres. Candy Boy screams Media Blasters, and hopefully they listen.

</speculation>
DFBTG

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:16 pm Reply with quote
You know, now that you mention, I think that there's some decent odds that Media Blasters will license this. Grand odds, certainly not, good, not quite either, but passable. Of course, I could just be trying to talk myself into this. But based on some of the other titles they've licensed and their Yuri line (which admittedly only has Simoun at the moment, unless I missed one) would go well with this. And one of the sub-genres shouldn't be much of a problem, Koi Kaze had the same thing. Well, not 'same', but in a broad stroke (dangerous...yes, I know).
Bluebeard

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Actually, you missed 2 Very Happy Strawberry Panic & Kashimashi: Girl Meets Girl are both part of Media Blasters' "Yuri Fan" line. So with 3 titles, unless I missed one as well, it's quite established as far as light shojo-ai styled yuri titles go. So like I said, here's hoping!
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:54 am Reply with quote
They also have Otome wa Boku ni Koishiteru, which is shoujo-ai + trap.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3