Forum - View topic
NEWS: Next Ghibli Film from Takahata Is Now More 'Definite'


Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Professor Genius



Joined: 09 Jun 2003
Posts: 57
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:34 am Reply with quote
It's good to hear that we'll see some new material from Takahata. As for Goro Miyazaki...I could do without, seeing as how Tales From Earthsea was an abysmal stain upon the Ghibli library.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
kakoishii



Joined: 16 Jul 2008
Posts: 741
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:23 am Reply with quote
I liked Takahata's grave of the fireflies and I have yet to see Goro's Earthsea, but part me wishes Hayo Miyazaki would come out of retirement just long enough to make one more great movie. That would simply make my day.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
hikaru004



Joined: 15 Mar 2004
Posts: 2306
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:23 am Reply with quote
Well, I say rock on Goro. Haven't seen the first movie yet but he still has to keep making films to be better. Rome wasn't built in a day.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MorwenLaicoriel



Joined: 26 Feb 2006
Posts: 1617
Location: Colorado
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:38 am Reply with quote
kakoishii wrote:
I liked Takahata's grave of the fireflies and I have yet to see Goro's Earthsea, but part me wishes Hayo Miyazaki would come out of retirement just long enough to make one more great movie. That would simply make my day.


Miyazaki's working on a movie right now, actually.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
fighterholic



Joined: 28 Sep 2005
Posts: 9193
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:17 am Reply with quote
Have to watch Gedo Senki to see what exactly was up with everybody. But I'm glad they're letting him get into making another one. Looking forward to the upcoming projects.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Jetto



Joined: 23 Aug 2004
Posts: 49
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:46 am Reply with quote
Come on, guys. Earthsea wasn't THAT bad...compared to the sci-fi channel one it was a masterpiece. Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Zin5ki



Joined: 06 Jan 2008
Posts: 6680
Location: London, UK
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:26 pm Reply with quote
If he give us another Pom Poko I shall not be pleased. From what I've heard another Grave of the Fireflies would be more to my tastes.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dargonxtc



Joined: 13 Apr 2006
Posts: 4463
Location: Nc5xd7+ スターダストの海洋
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:31 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
Have to watch Gedo Senki to see what exactly was up with everybody. But I'm glad they're letting him get into making another one. Looking forward to the upcoming projects.


Well it wasn't like Gedo Senki was a complete failure in Japan right? I mean it did make a good amount of money for them even if it wasn't up to Ghibli expectations.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cosplaybunny



Joined: 10 Apr 2007
Posts: 224
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:58 pm Reply with quote
I'm super happy to hear this . Takahata has made some of my favorite Ghibli movies (Pom Poko is one of my favorite Ghibli movies!) I want Only Yesterday so badly, the only version I have is my recording of TCM when they aired it. I can't wait to see what he does Anime smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
GATSU



Joined: 03 Jan 2002
Posts: 14630
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:31 pm Reply with quote
hikaru:
Quote:
Rome wasn't built in a day.


Perhaps, but nepotism's what destroyed it. Rolling Eyes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
fighterholic



Joined: 28 Sep 2005
Posts: 9193
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
Well it wasn't like Gedo Senki was a complete failure in Japan right? I mean it did make a good amount of money for them even if it wasn't up to Ghibli expectations.

See, that's what I can't understand about what people have been saying about the movie. I am obviously not going to say anything about the movie until I actually watch, that way I can give my opinion about it whether it was great or disappointing. Which is why I need to hurry up and watch it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
hara



Joined: 10 Nov 2006
Posts: 208
Location: EU
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:12 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
Well, I say rock on Goro. Haven't seen the first movie yet but he still has to keep making films to be better. Rome wasn't built in a day.

I object. There are plenty of good artists out there so Ghibli shouldn't waste money on Goro anymore. Although I don't appreciate Ghibli that much I still recognize that the studio was able to keep a certain level of quality since its launch that Goro couldn't live up to. I don't understand why they still let Daddy's boy toy around with a feature film.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Proman



Joined: 19 Nov 2003
Posts: 947
Location: USA
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:23 pm Reply with quote
I'm very excited to see another film from Takahata.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Romuska
Subscriber



Joined: 02 Mar 2004
Posts: 695
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
fighterholic wrote:
Have to watch Gedo Senki to see what exactly was up with everybody. But I'm glad they're letting him get into making another one. Looking forward to the upcoming projects.


Well it wasn't like Gedo Senki was a complete failure in Japan right? I mean it did make a good amount of money for them even if it wasn't up to Ghibli expectations.


Yep. Critically it was Studio Ghibli's worst movie. Some early Ghibli films did not initially see success at the box office but have since become classics. I don't think that's going to be the case with Earthsea. I've seen the movie several times. It's pretty bad.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
enurtsol



Joined: 01 May 2007
Posts: 14199
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Wasn't the original author Le Guin disappointed in Gedo Senki?

Depending on how much one values "creator's intents," how much her opinion matters.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group