• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Next Ghibli Film from Takahata Is Now More 'Definite'

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Professor Genius

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:34 am Reply with quote
It's good to hear that we'll see some new material from Takahata. As for Goro Miyazaki...I could do without, seeing as how Tales From Earthsea was an abysmal stain upon the Ghibli library.
kakoishii

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:23 am Reply with quote
I liked Takahata's grave of the fireflies and I have yet to see Goro's Earthsea, but part me wishes Hayo Miyazaki would come out of retirement just long enough to make one more great movie. That would simply make my day.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:23 am Reply with quote
Well, I say rock on Goro. Haven't seen the first movie yet but he still has to keep making films to be better. Rome wasn't built in a day.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:38 am Reply with quote
kakoishii wrote:
I liked Takahata's grave of the fireflies and I have yet to see Goro's Earthsea, but part me wishes Hayo Miyazaki would come out of retirement just long enough to make one more great movie. That would simply make my day.

Miyazaki's working on a movie right now, actually.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:17 am Reply with quote
Have to watch Gedo Senki to see what exactly was up with everybody. But I'm glad they're letting him get into making another one. Looking forward to the upcoming projects.
Jetto

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:46 am Reply with quote
Come on, guys. Earthsea wasn't THAT bad...compared to the sci-fi channel one it was a masterpiece. Wink
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:26 pm Reply with quote
If he give us another Pom Poko I shall not be pleased. From what I've heard another Grave of the Fireflies would be more to my tastes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:31 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
Have to watch Gedo Senki to see what exactly was up with everybody. But I'm glad they're letting him get into making another one. Looking forward to the upcoming projects.

Well it wasn't like Gedo Senki was a complete failure in Japan right? I mean it did make a good amount of money for them even if it wasn't up to Ghibli expectations.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cosplaybunny

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:58 pm Reply with quote
I'm super happy to hear this . Takahata has made some of my favorite Ghibli movies (Pom Poko is one of my favorite Ghibli movies!) I want Only Yesterday so badly, the only version I have is my recording of TCM when they aired it. I can't wait to see what he does Anime smile
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:31 pm Reply with quote
hikaru:
Quote:
Rome wasn't built in a day.

Perhaps, but nepotism's what destroyed it. Rolling Eyes
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
Well it wasn't like Gedo Senki was a complete failure in Japan right? I mean it did make a good amount of money for them even if it wasn't up to Ghibli expectations.

See, that's what I can't understand about what people have been saying about the movie. I am obviously not going to say anything about the movie until I actually watch, that way I can give my opinion about it whether it was great or disappointing. Which is why I need to hurry up and watch it.
hara

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:12 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
Well, I say rock on Goro. Haven't seen the first movie yet but he still has to keep making films to be better. Rome wasn't built in a day.

I object. There are plenty of good artists out there so Ghibli shouldn't waste money on Goro anymore. Although I don't appreciate Ghibli that much I still recognize that the studio was able to keep a certain level of quality since its launch that Goro couldn't live up to. I don't understand why they still let Daddy's boy toy around with a feature film.
Proman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:23 pm Reply with quote
I'm very excited to see another film from Takahata.
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
fighterholic wrote:

Yep. Critically it was Studio Ghibli's worst movie. Some early Ghibli films did not initially see success at the box office but have since become classics. I don't think that's going to be the case with Earthsea. I've seen the movie several times. It's pretty bad.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Wasn't the original author Le Guin disappointed in Gedo Senki?

Depending on how much one values "creator's intents," how much her opinion matters.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2