• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best deaths or killings in anime.

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:02 pm Reply with quote
[EDIT: Since character deaths are almost always significant moments in series, be sure to use spoiler tags, or you may find your post deleted if we mods don't feel like adding them in ~Zalis]

There are a lot of memorable deaths or killing in anime that are worth talking about. Im not sure if this boarders on the disturbing scenes in anime thread or not but I think this topic it worth a thread.

Also some things might be spoilers to some people so please use the spoiler tags.

One of the best effed up deaths I seen are in the anime Eureka Seven, Shadow Star Narutaru and Fullmetal Alchemist.

In FMA everyone should know by now about the spoiler[Maes Huges murder] But it has a bit of significance in the overall story. Things started to get a bit darker afterthat and gave Cheska the library girl a mission. Plus it made me cry. The first scene in anime that made me do that.

In Eureka Seven's second season we see spoiler[The deaths of Charles and Raye. ] A great battle in I think episode 27 or 28. The scenes of Rayespoiler[ after charles death with her humming was macbre. Plus when she was reaching for her OWN hand!] It did have an effect on Renton which kinda made his love for Eureka strong and vice versa in my opinion.

Oh mans. Shadow Star Narutaru. I mentioned this is that thread too. spoiler[In episode 11 or 12 the leader of the girl bullies got what see deserves. the victim using her dragons child got vengence buy killing her brother in front of her first and then doing simliar torture back to the leader until gutting her!] Cruel unusual death on a scale of 10 is 25.
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Goku. All 9000+ times! Laughing

Anyways, Final Fantasy 7's spoiler[death of Aerith]. Nothing within anime has made a bigger impact than that. Therefore, any other shall be compared to that. spoiler[Why did she have to die? Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad]

Other deaths in comparison:
spoiler[Spike Spiegel]

Hmm. Crap. I can't remember any others. Laughing Hmm, to used to them not dying, I suppose.

WARNING: Use proper spoiler tags, or else. -- abunai
ElementSun

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:42 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[Kamina's death] in Gurren Lagann spoiler[was pretty shocking, because no one expected such an important character to be killed off so early.]

spoiler[Teresa's death] in Claymore was a huge shocker too. spoiler[She died in such an unfair way too, without even releasing 10% of her power =/. Priscilla is a prick]

jetz

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Viga_of_stars wrote:
In Eureka Seven's second season we see spoiler[The deaths of Charles and Raye. ] A great battle in I think episode 27 or 28. The scenes of Rayespoiler[ after charles death with her humming was macbre. Plus when she was reaching for her OWN hand!] It did have an effect on Renton which kinda made his love for Eureka strong and vice versa in my opinion.

I agree. I was already at the edge of my seat during the spoiler[fight between Charles and Holland, but the way Charles died was just terrible. Plus his death really affected Ray - I guess she must've felt abandoned because for a while Ray, Charles and Renton were almost a family.]

And of course - Death Note. spoiler[First was the death of L, ]which was the turning point in the anime. After his death it wasn't as fun and interesting to watch, but spoiler[Near and Mello's combination was almost equivalent to L's presence]. Also, the death of spoiler[Light's dad ]was really memorable. I can't believe spoiler[Light didn't even feel sorry for his dad, and his reaction was just so fake.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
vylo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:45 pm Reply with quote
In Narutaru, I think spoiler[ the death of the last girl is actually worse. First she has to come to school knowing 2 of her friends have been brutually murdered. Then she matches as a gigantic monstrosity confirms her fears and drops the 3rd girl from several stories up. You see her close her eyes and grit her teeth completely helpless to the torture she is about to receive. First it knocks the air out of her. Then once she almost regains her composure it punches her lower leg off. It then pauses while she sits there mumbling in shock. After she starts repeating how sorry she is, the thing grabs her and slowly crushes the life out her. ]
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Kyuu, Element, please use the spoiler tags. Although a LOT of people seen cowboy bebop and play FF7 some are still watching and playing to this day ya know.

Plus I was going to start Gurren Laggan! Dag it!

vylo wrote:
In Narutaru, I think spoiler[ the death of the last girl is actually worse. First she has to come to school knowing 2 of her friends have been brutually murdered. Then she matches as a gigantic monstrosity confirms her fears and drops the 3rd girl from several stories up. You see her close her eyes and grit her teeth completely helpless to the torture she is about to receive. First it knocks the air out of her. Then once she almost regains her composure it punches her lower leg off. It then pauses while she sits there mumbling in shock. After she starts repeating how sorry she is, the thing grabs her and slowly crushes the life out her. ]

That is true. Maybe I like the other death because it was a just desserts type of thing. Plus the character was high on my hate list in anime.

Last edited by Viga_of_stars on Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Eruanna

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:56 pm Reply with quote
You know, the best death, (besides the already mentioned spoiler[Major Hughes ] from FMA which, I will agree, was one of the best and most emotionaly gripping) that I can think of off of the top of my little head, is the death of spoiler[Daimon Suguru] from Digimon Savers.
EXCEPT that they went and ruined it spoiler[in the last episodes by having him resurected by the Digimon god at the last minute in order to create a perfect "happy ending".]

(Series title moved outside tags ~Zalis)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Eruanna wrote:
You know, the best death, (besides the already mentioned spoiler[Major Hughes from FMA] which, I will agree, was one of the best and most emotionaly gripping) that I can think of off of the top of my little head, is the death of spoiler[Daimon Suguru] from Digimon Savers.
EXCEPT that they went and ruined it spoiler[in the last episodes by having him resurected by the Digimon god at the last minute in order to create a perfect "happy ending".]

Kinda dues ex machina eh?
Westlo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:15 pm Reply with quote
The April anime season contained two of the best in spoiler[Kamina] from Gurren Lagann and spoiler[Teresa] from Claymore.
Oronae

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Mine would have to be spoiler[Dio Brando and Kakyoin] at the end of the Stardust Crusaders arc of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. I loved how spoiler[Kakyoin never really saw it coming but still managed to figure out Dio's power and communicate it to the others before he died. Dio's death was awesome just because it seemed so appropriate for him to be defeated by a copy of his own ability.]
Key

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Yes, people, PLEASE used spoiler tags for the characters' names and circumstances.

We had a long-running thread about this last year that some may want to consult for additional examples.

Of all the death scenes I've seen in anime, there are three that will always stick with me, but for different reasons. One is the death of spoiler[Akemi] in Saikano episode 9, which has to be one of the more gut-wrenching death scenes ever to watch. The only other scene I've seen which equals or exceeds it in the sense of being difficult to watch (due to the sheer raw power and disturbing nature) is the death of spoiler[Gen's Father, sister, and brother] in Barefoot Gen. Both titles have many other good examples, too, but these are the best.

The other one I always point to - and I think a lot of others would, too - is the deaths of spoiler[Rosette and Chrono] in episode 25 of Chrono Crusade. Despite how completely peaceful an incident it was, that scene threw fans for a loop like few others ever have.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
eazydoseit

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm for me, deaths that really just got me are the spoiler[School Days ONA deaths]........a sad one are the Higurashi deaths....i find them sad for some reason....oh and spoiler[ the end of chrono crusade also really made me sad....][/spoiler]

SethMajormi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:17 pm Reply with quote
jetz wrote:
And of course - Death Note. spoiler[First was the death of L, ]which was the turning point in the anime. After his death it wasn't as fun and interesting to watch, but spoiler[Near and Mello's combination was almost equivalent to L's presence]. Also, the death of spoiler[Light's dad ]was really memorable. I can't believe spoiler[Light didn't even feel sorry for his dad, and his reaction was just so fake.]

I've got to agree with all of this and also in Death Note spoiler[ Light's Death just had a HUGE impact on me. He dies begging for help in the manga and in the anime it's just so haunting. After all absloute power corrupts absloutely. ]

Last edited by SethMajormi on Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:28 pm Reply with quote
I've had to edit several posts in this thread to properly cover up spoilers with spoiler tags. Let me be clear about this:

The forum rules REQUIRE you to use spoiler tags where applicable. If you haven't understood that, then you have no business posting anything here. Get a clue, and use the spoiler tags the way you're supposed to.

This warning applies to everyone, but especially to KyuuA4, ElementSun and eazydoseit. You three, consider yourselves cautioned.

- abunai
Char_Aznable

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Not necessarily disturbing (well ... maybe a little), but definitely memorable for me was from Ninja Scroll: spoiler[Tessai (big rock guy) getting owned by his own sword].

I was also very saddened when spoiler[Yazan Gable killed both Reccoa and Emma] from Zeta Gundam.

Last edited by Char_Aznable on Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8