• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
You're getting deposited on a remote island............

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
step

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2002 11:18 am Reply with quote
and with you all you get for entertainment is the following:
1.) A small nuclear reactor which will power your "entertainment" device for your life time....
2.)A DVD player
3.)A 32 inch plasma TV

Now for the interesting part.........
You get one anime movie and one anime series to take with you! Not 10 but only 1 of each which will have to appease your lust for all things anime until either a. you die (probably from radiation sickness!) or b. you poke your eyes out with the corner of the dvd box.
So what individual series and movie could you not live without, or more precisely could you live with for eternity......
To get the ball rolling here's mine:
Movie: Princess Mononoke
Series: Cowboy Bebop

Remember try to think of it in terms of what anime has meant the most to you not because of flashy animations or high production values but where the characters and strory really speak to you......for me its the end of Bebop which sets it apart as it always evokes emotions which it stirs to the surface and makes you think about not just the series but yourself as well, mostly your past.........but thats just me.
What are you taking with you and why?
Cassandra

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2002 11:26 am Reply with quote
Hmmm....

Series: Sailor Moon (the uncut subbed stuff)
Movie: Ghost In The Shell
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
JETBLACK87

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2002 11:41 am Reply with quote
Series: Cowboy Bebop
Movie: Cowboy Bebop
Saxton

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2002 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Personally I would rip open the nuclear reactor housing then get as far away from it as I could so one of the myriad of military satellites would pick up the heat bloom and they would come investigate and rescue me…but that’s a little off subject I suppose.

I would have to say my preferred series would be The Slayers simply because there is a ton of episodes and it’s tolerable for the most part.

My movie of choice would probably be The Wings of Honneamise. It’s a good movie and over two hours in length. Again, more is better since I’m going to be there for a while.

Now, my current FAVORITES (and the real answers you are looking for I suppose) are different than these choices. Cowboy Bebop is my favorite series and I’d say Grave of the Fireflies is my favorite movie…but I’m sure even the longer stuff would get old after years on that island so I wouldn’t pick these shorter DVD’s.

Let me know when it’s safe to get around the reactor again.

Message Ends,

Saxton
Ataru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2002 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Series: Urusei Yatsura
Manga: Inu Yasha
Game: Final Fantasys (1-10 with each system)

That'll keep me busy until I get off. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Cgoten

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2002 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Anime: Ranma ½
Manga: Dragon Ball
Movie: Princess Mononoke

I don't think we're supposed to put down a manga but Ataru did it so I am too. Ranma ½ and Dragon Ball are both very long and will keep me busy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
TheAngstyKiller

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2002 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Movie: Slayers Excellent
Series: Inuyasha (it's broken 80 and has no signs of stopping yet Very Happy )
nick

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2002 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Series:Noir
Manga:Salior moon
Movie: Ah! My Goddess

This will keep me busy for a long time
Judau

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2002 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Hehe, well, considering the longevity of this...

Series: I have to say DBZ, even though I do not watch it much anymore, its freaken 293 episodes long. C'mon. By the time you finish with the last Saga, you don't mind watching the first again. Hehe. Plus, it was the first series I got into, so it has a special place in my heart... *tear* Wink

Movie: Akira, simple. I could watch it a couple of million times.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
step

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2002 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Don't forget that i'm funding the reactor so expect some "budget" radiation shielding. Don't worry though at least you'll get to see some funky colours before your retena's are burnt out :D Maybe it's for the best.......after a couple of years and you'll probably be trying to suffocate yourself to death with a cheese sandwich (you'll be blind and won't know any better) or be a slave to a race of radioactive albino super chimps! Either is good.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2002 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Ahhh..

I'd probably take Doraemon. It's over 600 episodes long so far (and still running) and I haven't seen any of it so every episode would be new to me. (I know enough about the plot to suspect that I would like it).

Now, for a movie it would have to be something I could watch many, many times and still enjoy. There are many good movies out there, but something I could watch many times? Right now I can't think of one...
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2002 8:33 am Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:

Ahhh..

I'd probably take Doraemon. It's over 600 episodes long so far (and still running) and I haven't seen any of it so every episode would be new to me. (I know enough about the plot to suspect that I would like it).

I'd probably take Doraemon too.. not merely because I'm interested in watching it (which I am) but if you can make a water-resistant glue, there'll be enough cases there to build a boat and escape.. You wouldn't even need to use a sail -- a bit of applied EE and you've got a nuclear-powered escape vehicle.. the DVDs could probably be used as a sail or a paddle or something. :)

Though... I thought Doraemon was 1500ish? Or is that counting each of the individual 10-minute segments? (~30 years @ 52 eps/yr = 1560ish eps, right?)

Failing that, I'd choose Sazae-san, Crayon Shin-chan, Digimon or Pokemon (in that order). The sheer number of episodes is a definate plus. (Pokemon's up to something like 270 episodes now... and Digimon, with 52 eps/season, is gonna pass 200 within the next year [assuming season 4 is 52 eps as well]...)

As for Movie... I'm really really looking forward to Spirited Away. I hope it's as worthwhile as I think it's gonna be. :)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hotaru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2002 1:30 pm Reply with quote
series: cowboy bebop
movie: sen to chihiro

hopefully i can get that ending song, and i can sing it all day long!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gai Super Napalm

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2002 6:15 pm Reply with quote
movie: patlabor 1
series: one piece

No movie that I decide to bring will ever keep me satisfied more than any other one, so I might as well bring my favorite one. As for the series, One Piece is long, entertaining, hasn't stopped yet, and I haven't seen much of it yet (although i've read most of the manga)..

plus maybe one piece would give me the courage to go sailing and get off the island.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2002 6:36 pm Reply with quote
All I'd need is a copy of the Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring. It'd be nice to have Two Towers and Return of the King, too, but assuming this happened tomorrow, all I'd have would be Fellowship.

Yeah, I know it isn't anime, but that's what I'd take with me.

-Zac
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2