• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Quote Guessing Game -- RESULTS! Come view them! ^_^

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:37 pm Reply with quote
RULES:

1. Quote to be guessed must be in bold.

Ex: "The balls are inert."

You cannot bold a short dialogue. If a short dialogue is needed to give your quote meaning, you may use it, but bold only one character's part, as you can only have one character in a guess, to be fair.

Ex:
"What does the scouter say about his power level?!"
"It's over NINE THOUSAAAAAAND!"

(Yeah, two internet memes in one rule. Reaching new lows here.)

2. Whoever guesses the quote (anyone can guess!) must use spoiler tags, and name the character, the show, and either

...who the quote was aimed at,

Ex: spoiler[Piccolo from Dragon Ball Z, to Gohan and friends]

...or a little blurb giving the context of the quote,

spoiler[Piccolo from Dragon Ball Z, complaining about starting at square one without Dende.]

...or both! (If you wanna show off, or whatever.)

spoiler[Piccolo from Dragon Ball Z, to Gohan, complaining about starting at square one without Dende.]

Why the extra little context? To prevent this from becoming a google-fest, that's why. Laughing

If a guesser does NOT enter the context, even if they are right, their guess cannot be counted until they edit it in. So, even if they have it right, someone could post right after them with the same answer, in context, and get it right.

THE #3 RULES ARE THE MOST IMPORTANT, SO PAY SPECIAL ATTENTION HERE.

3a. The quote must be very distinctive, and unmistakably from one show.

It doesn't have to be a "well-known" quote. (Although that would make the game go faster, which I think is more fun...) It could be an obvious line from an obscure anime, but it couldn't be something like, "Screw you, I make my own rules!" or "Thank you, nii-san! You are just my type!" It has to be something very profound or very funny that would be clear to anyone that had seen the show in question, no matter how obscure that show is.

If it is something more generic, some identifier like a location or character name must be in the quote: "Shigure, you pervert, pervert, pervert!" would be fine, but it wouldn't be without the name in the quote there...

3b. Do not post quotes that are direct spoilers for a series. Honestly, this is kinda hard to do, but if you are goofy enough to do this, chances are very good that this game will get shut down, and that would suck and I would stare at you like this every day: Evil or Very Mad

However, this raises an interesting dilemma with the "context" part of the official guess. If the context for a quote is something of a spoiler...

Ex: "...Bang."

...but the not the quote itself, this is how you answer: Just put who the quote is addressed to and leave context out of it.

If you find this impossible or, heaven forbid, the audience to a quote is a spoiler, reply with two spoiler tags seperated by a double line break, just like this:

spoiler[Spike Spiegal from Cowboy Bebop]

spoiler[to his stunned audience as he smiles, points, and falls over dead.]

This unique kind of answer will let those who haven't seen the show in the first spoiler NOT to read the second, while allowing others, namely the judge, to check it at their leisure.

If you haven't seen the show and read it anyway, it's your own darn fault. I don't know what else I can do for you. Laughing

3c. PLEASE NOTE: While it may be possible to find the answer to a quotation question through the skillful use of Google or other search engines, this defeats the purpose of the game. If you can't answer, then by all means try googling the answer -- but don't submit it as your answer. Feel free to PM the poster of the question with your answer, to show how cleverly you have prevailed on the internet to think for you. But don't claim it as your own knowledge.

3d. IF you make it horribly obvious that you have cheated via search engine, the ball will return to the poster's court. They may be nice and let you go next OR simply post a different quote themselves. This is only if there is heavy evidence that you have not seen the show and just googled it, and therefore pissed people off or something. It's just not kind, so don't do it unless: see rule #3c.

4. To avoid sludgy banter over whether something is too ambiguous or not, at least three posters must respond in the thread with a negation, in bold, to the quote, as in giving examples of where it shows up in two or more anime easily. That would look like this:

Poster A -- "I'm gonna send you straight to hell!"

Poster B -- I have to negate that one, dude. You can easily hear that from
Yusuke in Yu Yu Hakusho
Edward Elric in Fullmetal Alchemist
Ichigo in Bleach
Renton in Eureka Seven
...and so on, so no.

(If Posters C & D follow up on this, the quote is negated and the next quote is up for grabs to the quickest! Seriously, though, this rule is honors system. Don't BS this quick fix or the number of people will have to be raised.)

5. This should be avoided, but if by chance the quote in question is only heard in the Japanese or the English and isn't translated fairly closely, put "SUB:" or "DUB:" before the quote to be guessed. Again, TRY to avoid this, but with liberally translated or old anime, it happens, I know.

Ex: SUB: "Dattebayo!"

Ex: DUB: "Believe it!"

6. That leads me to another point. Unless it's honorific-related or can't be translated DIRECTLY, like the above example, quote in English...sillies...Razz

7. Clues are optional and they must be related directly to the character or situation surrounding the quote. Clues can be given at any time, and participants can also ask for clues, but make sure it doesn't exceed the limit (2 clues/day) Clues must be in spoiler tags.

8. If the quote used is one that is repeated in the same series by a different character than the poster had in mind, as in verbatim parroted, because this happens, that answer must be accepted, and either character must be considered correct.

9. A quotation being offered must come from a different source (i.e. anime series or group/franchise of anime series) than the preceding four quotations, or it becomes invalid and the "baton" passes to the first person thereafter to pose a new quotation.

10. Obviously, the person to guess correctly gets to put up the next quote. Each person gets only one guess per quote. Guess wisely!

11. If no one gets it right after 10 guesses (or if no one gets it right for 2 days, regardless of the number of guesses), ANYONE can post a quote but it’s first come, first serve. This rule shall also be observed if there is no new quote in 2 days.

12. If there is an outstanding guess (made within the time limit) that has not yet been confirmed, please be patient and wait for confirmation. If there is no confirmation in 24 hours, rule 10 will take effect.

13. No off topic comments or chat room speak. None. Uh-uh. Don't do it. I will smite you.

(I love copy and paste, don't you, jetz? Wink )

Hopefully, this game will move quickly enough that no mini-game will be needed, because I can't imagine what kind of mini-game you could make out of a game this simplistic! Laughing

This game was created to be a more useful and interactive kind of quote dump and also to allow any random person an opportunity at playing, as the pic game is, by nature, going to be ruled by the most hardcore otaku. You could try to be all hardcore here...but no one will think your quote is memorable or cool. Wink

That being said, I hope that the difficulty will spike and dip as we play, with some more unusual quotes being mixed in with classics. All the same, they need be memorable.

GO CRAZY!!!

Last edited by JacobC on Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:12 pm; edited 9 times in total
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Wouldn't this be rather prone to spoilers for people who haven't seen the anime in question?

Also, different people may have seen different translations of an anime, so it would make it hard to guess based on just one sentence. A picture may not always be worth exactly a thousand words, but it often does contain a lot more info than just a handful of words.

I agree with you that another guessing game where people who haven't seen hundreds of anime can also participate with some chance of guessing right would be nice. I was thinking of having two picture guessing games going at the same time (in different threads), one with easier pics and one with difficult ones like we have now. People who guess right more than a set number of times on the 'easy' thread would have to graduate to the 'hard' thread.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Kimiko_0 wrote:
Wouldn't this be rather prone to spoilers for people who haven't seen the anime in question?

Confused

I never thought about that, but now that I have, I really don't see that as an issue. I can't think of many lines...really, next to none...that are spoilers for some plot event all by themselves. I think you'd have to try pretty hard to spoil someone for an anime with one quote, just as hard as you would with a picture. (Cause you can totally do it with a picture too, but most people aren't that wicked.) Besides, people answer in spoiler tags.

As for the several different translations issue, if it's something pretty clear and bell-ringing with the anime in question, it shouldn't come to that. There shouldn't be an instance where people are bickering over how something is worded, especially if the "SUB: DUB:" rule is followed whenever the poster is the least bit iffy.

Another thing I should add is that if people are unsure whether a quote is too ambiguous, they can always lengthen it, meaning further that one-liner into maybe the two or three lines that character spoke at that time. That makes it even more distinctive and hard to get confused about "translation issues," if something is so firmly in context.

I guess I'm just counting on people being good sports in general and not "trying to make it hard." Trying to make it hard is fertile ground in the picture game. This should be a "first thing that pops into your head" kind of game, not about showing off your anime repertoire, but more like a fun stroll down memory lane for a few laughs or profound "ooh, deep shtuff" moments.

EDIT: I mean, I got the idea from a present I received yesterday--"The Cult Movie Quote Book." The quotes are arranged along the left hand pages and their origins along the right-hand pages so you can guess them before you look at the movie, and it's really clever because it allows this movie buff to drink in all the old moments instead of scrolling through a big dump. Same concept. And all those quotes are really distinctive because distinctive ones should be chosen that remind you of THAT movie, or in this case, THAT anime series.
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:40 pm Reply with quote
I think the Mods want to keep it to the tournament and one game. Besides, text is too easily googled.

Edit: Must fix typo from 3 weeks ago...

Last edited by DerekTheRed on Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, yes, there's that too. Anything memorable could most likely be found online somewhere.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Sure, but again, who said this was supposed to be difficult? It's like a quote dump thread, but interactive, goes somewhere, and only good quotes end up showing up. It's fun, not a big competition.

Besides, I have in mind several quotes that, with one hint or less, could easily be guessed only by those who have seen the show. And yeah, they're one-liners. One-liners are hard to google. Laughing

Ex:

"...Bang."

(Technically, that could be several things, but the answer, being so iconic, should be obvious, and one hint would clear it up. Therein lies the trick of guessing correctly. Do you try to think of every action series where someone might make a random gun noise, or do you just know?)
Oh Jam!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Should be fun and nip along more quickly and easily than the picture game, I'm up for it (although I'll probably get as many as in the picture thread i.e. none).

spoiler[I'm guessing Spike from Cowboy Bebop, but then again the game hasn't started yet.]
daxomni

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:16 pm Reply with quote
I don't see any problem with it personally. I can rarely guess the photo thread so maybe it would be a nice change of pace?
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Oh Jam! wrote:
Should be fun and nip along more quickly and easily than the picture game, I'm up for it (although I'll probably get as many as in the picture thread i.e. none).

spoiler[I'm guessing Spike from Cowboy Bebop, but then again the game hasn't started yet.]

Case in point. Not hard, was it? That's right. Wink

But yeah, no game yet. I totally wasted a juicy one. I promise I won't do that again. Laughing

One addendum...if there are even more cries of "too easy!" here's another possibility: a "fill-in-the-blank" style quote game where you would have to complete the quote and say who/where it's from. Personally, I think that's too hard and really would have translation problems for picky judges, but it's an alternate idea if this one isn't "game" enough yet.
Elfen12

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:13 pm Reply with quote
daxomni wrote:
I don't see any problem with it personally. I can rarely guess the photo thread so maybe it would be a nice change of pace?

My sentiments exaclty, i always keep track of the picture guessing game, and there have only been like 3 of them that i can get, for some raosn they're all animes, that i've not seen. This would be a good change of pace, becuase we'll be able to not use our visual rememberance system (yes it now exists), but our listening remembarnce system (yes, it also now exists). I like the idea quite frankly. And the googled thing, if people feel that the only way for them to win is to cheat, well then shame on them... but thiking about it, woudln't it be obvious if the same person was getting such a wide array of guesses.... i mean if like lets go out on a limb here and made it so the participants in this thread had to make their lists public like with Have seen and Seen some of lists... making them public, it would mean that if someone suspects a cheater, you go see there lists, and if many of the ones they've been getting or a couple of the ones they've been guessing correct are ones that they havn't even seen or aren't even in there want to see list, then one can determine that they are cheating. But i think this thread can run on the honor system policy, if people feel the need to cheat, let it weigh down on their conscience and untill they get caught, they'll just damage themselves. I personally think it's an efficient enough policy.

Edit: i just re-thunked my policy idea, nevermind it, it's kinda too much, but i'll leave it in there for others to see

-Elfen12- sorry for my atrocious spelling, you see i just broke my wrist, so typing isn't a walk in the park anymore
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:28 pm Reply with quote
No, no, please don't make it harder than it already is. The whole point of having a new guessing game is that the current picture guessing game is too hard.
Elfen12

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Kimiko_0 wrote:
No, no, please don't make it harder than it already is. The whole point of having a new guessing game is that the current picture guessing game is too hard.

Yeah i thought about it too hard, and so I failed to realize this point. But i still think , to put this in much simpler terms, that this game should be ran on the honor system, otherwise there isnt' a solution to that problem, if it can be considered a problem. I'm sure we could just not think about this issue, and it'd be fine but still...

-Elfen12-
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Elfen12 wrote:
Kimiko_0 wrote:

Yeah i thought about it too hard, and so I failed to realize this point. But i still think , to put this in much simpler terms, that this game should be ran on the honor system, otherwise there isnt' a solution to that problem, if it can be considered a problem. I'm sure we could just not think about this issue, and it'd be fine but still...

-Elfen12-

Eh. Whatev. Like we haven't had issues in the other game. We'll have issues in this one, but it's not a big deal. If people Google, people Google, but you know googling takes even LONGER than someone who just knows it...and they'll enjoy getting it more.
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:09 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
If people Google, people Google, but you know googling takes even LONGER than someone who just knows it...and they'll enjoy getting it more.

Only if everyone were to see it at the same time. Google is pretty fast and I see this being a who can google it the fastest contest which doesn't seem fun at all.
Sure, I'd like to think that wouldn't happen, but I don't.
Cow-Boy_Be-Bop

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Another thing to point out is if different characters say the same line. Spike from cowboybebop wasn't the only character who ever said "bang"
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 151