• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Ghost Slayers Ayashi GN 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:39 am Reply with quote
Wow, really? 'cause when I watched the first episode of the anime, I considered this quite possibly the most idiotic, grasping-at-straws-for-originality concept I'd ever seen in my life.

Besides, kanji aren't pictograms, they're logograms. There's a difference.

Anyway, maybe I'll reconsider it given this review, but I still think the idea's dumb as heck.
maaya

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:17 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:

It's not that simple. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_character_classification
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:33 pm Reply with quote
maaya wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:

It's not that simple. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_character_classification

Right, there are pictographic and idographic logograms, bu the point is they represent words. And most of the attempts at explaining the pictographic origin of characters are highly speculative, or even ridiculous. When they started explaining that the character for "father" (父) represents two strong arms etc., the exact same useless mnemonic device I'd gotten in first-year Japanese, I deleted the episode right then and there.

Which may not have been fair of me; you should try to give things more than one episode to prove themselves (unless they are truly abominable). Maybe when I have time, I'll give this one another try.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1