• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dir en Grey to Tour North America in August

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brand

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:25 am Reply with quote
Pretty cool. I saw them a few years ago the TLA in Philadelphia. It was a cool show. I still have my shirt from that concert.

Now if the people who I got tickets for would just pay me back...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Quark

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:20 pm Reply with quote
I'd love to go see them, but the closest they come to my neck of the woods is Seattle. This stinks, because a) I don't have a passport and b) Seattle is majorly expensive to go to for an overnight trip.
Although they are coming to Seattle in Sept, which would be enough time to get a passport...hmmm..
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:24 pm Reply with quote
from their myspace:
Quote:
Dir En Grey is considered the biggest Japanese rock band ever

so X Japan broke up?
Altare

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:54 pm Reply with quote
YES! I missed them last time they were in philadelphia.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:59 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
from their myspace:
Quote:

so X Japan broke up?

is it even their real myspace? either way VK people are usually pretty full of themselves
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:10 pm Reply with quote
They're hitting Boston a week before I move to there. This breaks my heart, so now I must go and cry.
Saturn

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:22 pm Reply with quote
*continues rage and lamentation at the lack of a Texas date*

KOLKOLKOLKOL
Lenks

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:46 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
from their myspace:
Quote:

so X Japan broke up?

Even if X was still broken up, it's "ever," so they're saying of all time, haha.

I don't see how they could be considered the "biggest ever" when they've never had a #1 CD on the Oricon charts. Or single for that matter.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Lenks wrote:
I don't see how they could be considered the "biggest ever" when they've never had a #1 CD on the Oricon charts. Or single for that matter.

Charts don't mean jack to music lovers. One thing Dir en grey has going for it more than X is that they're more internationally reknown in Europe and the USA thanks to people like Korn and Kevin Lyman.
Tomibiki

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:06 pm Reply with quote
These guys catch some heat in the metal community, I'm not too impressed with what they do, but I am with where they're going. Just wish some of the metal acts in Japan got some of the trickle down attention. I must remain patient.
Quark

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:53 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
Lenks wrote:

Charts don't mean jack to music lovers. One thing Dir en grey has going for it more than X is that they're more internationally reknown in Europe and the USA thanks to people like Korn and Kevin Lyman.

Oh man, this is so, so true. One band for example is Iron Maiden - they're HUGE, and have been around for 20+ years. They have fans all over the world (they joked that Japan is the only place where they get mobbed by teen girls) who range from pre-teen, to middle-aged, or over. All this despite never having gotten any real radio attention, or, I believe, placing very high on music charts.
An 'artist' like Lady Gaga for example, who I'm sure sells boatloads of records and does very well according to the charts - well, let's just say that people like her come and go, and are easily replaced.
Music fans, and those who aren't just following the latest trend, don't usually care one bit about what sells, and what doesn't. They care about the music.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Quark wrote:
Oh man, this is so, so true. One band for example is Iron Maiden - they're HUGE, and have been around for 20+ years. They have fans all over the world (they joked that Japan is the only place where they get mobbed by teen girls) who range from pre-teen, to middle-aged, or over. All this despite never having gotten any real radio attention, or, I believe, placing very high on music charts.

An 'artist' like Lady Gaga for example, who I'm sure sells boatloads of records and does very well according to the charts - well, let's just say that people like her come and go, and are easily replaced.
Music fans, and those who aren't just following the latest trend, don't usually care one bit about what sells, and what doesn't. They care about the music.

Oi! Gaga is not replaceable, though other pop acts are trying. I say this while owning several Iron Maiden shirts and a number of their albums. Cool Gaga is the 2nd coming of Ziggy Stardust! All other pop acts are Running to the Hills, or dying in the battleground.

I could go into a Gaga rant, but I'll just say anyone who is in doubt of her talent only need to check out on youtube any of her live, "unplugged/acoustic"editions of her songs to see why respectable musicians everywhere are eating her up. Like her music or not, and as odd as she may be, you'd be hard pressed to to convince anyone that that isn't some form of talent there. She entertains in a way very few musicans can.

Now people like Katy Perry... that's forgetable.
Quark

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:18 am Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
Oi! Gaga is not replaceable, though other pop acts are trying. I say this while owning several Iron Maiden shirts and a number of their albums. Cool Gaga is the 2nd coming of Ziggy Stardust! All other pop acts are Running to the Hills, or dying in the battleground.

I could go into a Gaga rant, but I'll just say anyone who is in doubt of her talent only need to check out on youtube any of her live, "unplugged/acoustic"editions of her songs to see why respectable musicians everywhere are eating her up. Like her music or not, and as odd as she may be, you'd be hard pressed to to convince anyone that that isn't some form of talent there. She entertains in a way very few musicans can.

Now people like Katy Perry... that's forgetable.

Ugh! littlegreenwolf, I was so happy to live in my world where Lady Gaga was a talentless hack, and then you just had to link to that video. The girl can sing, and good on her for actually being able to play an instrument. It is awesome too that she's got the balls to be as bizarre as she is.
I think the problem is I'm an old grump who is happy to listen to stuff like Frank Zappa, or Nick Cave, or Oingo Boingo ad naseum. Modern pop music is a mystery to me, as I find it all to be absolutely mindless - how many songs can a person listen to that are about nothing more than drinking, partying, and sleeping around? I simply lumped Gaga in with the rest of them. I'm still not a fan, but I have to admit I was wrong, she does have talent.
So, let's go back to my original statement, and let's insert 'Justin Bieber' or 'Miley Cyrus' or 'Katy Perry' where Lady Gaga was.
Lenks

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:24 pm Reply with quote
You're right, music lovers don't care about charts. But, when compiling a list, music critics have to look at different factors, not just how much they love a band, because if that were the case, I'd consider Bruce Springsteen as the best artist of all time. Charts, sales, influence, etc, are all factors that make someone considered as the "all time" artist, and saying that those factors aren't is a misguided statement. There's a reason why Michael Jackson was considered the King of Pop. He sold immense amount of albums, singles, sold out venues across the world, and is a common influence in general.

Your Iron Maiden might be popular, but who will be considered the "all time" metal band? Someone like Zeppelin, not Maiden. As individual musicians, you might have a different story. I can easily see Dickinson being considered one of the best.

There are a ton of bands in front of Diru for rock. X, Luna Sea, Buck-Tick, Laruku, B'z, Southern All Stars, just to name a few. In terms of charts, sales, and influence, these bands are greater than Diru (okay, maybe not Laruku in influence).
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Whoa, Dir en Grey AND Apocalyptica on the same stage. This I've got to see. I've seen both live, so I know this'll be awesome.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1