• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: The World God Only Knows Blu-Ray

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:10 am Reply with quote
Theron wrote:
Some will doubtless look at this as a clever application of one medium to another, but it's really a cop-out because it avoids taking the more challenging and potentially even more interesting course: showing an otaku actually learning to step beyond his games and deal with people in a normal manner.

In other words, you want Keima to reject his own identity and what makes him happy.

That's the problem I have with Train Man, which has the message that Otaku can only find happiness by giving up their hobbies and drastically changing themselves. I just don't like it.

I actually think it is more interesting that Keima is unashamedly a proud and fiercely devoted Otaku. He doesn't change himself to fit in, he thinks he's fine and that the world should just accept him the way he is. And what's the harm with that?
KentaMaeba

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:24 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
In other words, you want Keima to reject his own identity and what makes him happy.

That's the problem I have with Train Man, which has the message that Otaku can only find happiness by giving up their hobbies and drastically changing themselves. I just don't like it.

I actually think it is more interesting that Keima is unashamedly a proud and fiercely devoted Otaku. He doesn't change himself to fit in, he thinks he's fine and that the world should just accept him the way he is. And what's the harm with that?

Totally agree. But all in all, this review was pretty spot-on. Although Carlo Santos' review was better.
AilisKnil

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:38 am Reply with quote
The biggest problem with this show was the direction: it's far too serious compared to the manga, which made it all seem sort of hamfisted. The manga knew it was ridiculous, but the anime approach seemed like it was trying too hard to legitimize a story that was obviously very silly from the start. A lot of scenes lingered for far too long, and the music was overly dramatic. All the Kanon filler was kind of grating too. A huge letdown.

I'll probably buy this anyway though because I love TWGOK so much.
greensoulreaper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:26 am Reply with quote
lol sometimes I feel like it's done on purpose - Luci Christian and Chris Patton co-starring...
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:00 am Reply with quote
review wrote:
Some will doubtless look at this as a clever application of one medium to another, but it's really a cop-out because it avoids taking the more challenging and potentially even more interesting course: showing an otaku actually learning to step beyond his games and deal with people in a normal manner. The producers cannot be faulted too much for this, because they clearly understand that they are pandering to exactly the kind of audience that Keima represents and giving them exactly what they want to see, but wasting such a golden opportunity to make something more of an anime title is disappointing to see.

This is exactly why I dropped it after 2 or 3 episodes. See, I had the idea that the show was going to be about a guy who was complete obsessed with galge and ends up learning just how different girls are to their idealistic video game counterparts. Instead what I got was a guy using the same techniques from video games to win the heart of the girl. I can see why some would like such a thing, but it's not my thing. I would have been much more interested if it were social criticism, but to see something that not only tolerates playing games all day but actually portrays it to be useful in terms of romance is just not something I can get behind.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:49 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Theron wrote:
Some will doubtless look at this as a clever application of one medium to another, but it's really a cop-out because it avoids taking the more challenging and potentially even more interesting course: showing an otaku actually learning to step beyond his games and deal with people in a normal manner.

If treating real people like the stereotypes in VNs is part of his identity than it's a literally insane identity.
OniTasku

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:14 am Reply with quote
I think you may have looked into the premise too deeply, as TWGOK in itself is a parody/satire of modern-day anime culture and fandom.

And did you really find the voice-work (Japanese) so bothersome? I, personally, found the delivery top notch work and was rather impressed with how well Shimono Hiro played Keima and all his awkwardness and glory.

Christ Patton just couldn't do the character justice, IMO. It's not so much the low score of one or the other that bothers me, but that fact they were given the same score? Seems somewhat skewed, but that's just my opinion.

Also, "not moe enough"... really? Was this supposed to be tongue-in-cheek? Do you honestly believe that TWGOK lacked moe?
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:13 am Reply with quote
Moe? Really? Confused
So your complaining that the series isn't moe and when your not enjoying and the seeing the bigger picture of an awkward, geek who at first refuses to accept the real world for the game world but slowly starts to change after helping and knowing the girls? And it's also parodying otaku culture?

And about the anime not getting the interesting course: That's is justified since it's still the beginning as the 1st season is based on the first two volumes of the manga. And if you want to see change, wait for the 2nd season or read the manga cause spoiler[Keima gets a character development and becomes a little nicer person (by his friends standards) after meeting more girls and caring about them and starts to accept the real world. In fact, in one story arc, he meets a girl who hates the real world cause it's not perfect but he defends it, telling her the real world has flaws, but it's perfect for him since there is some good in it like love. Furthermore, he start to care about the girls he helped and wants what's bets for them.]
Ryu Shoji

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:19 am Reply with quote
The World God Only Knows was actually the first Region A-only blu-ray I bought. I loved the English dub. In regards to Shiori, I felt her voice was a good match to the original Japanese.

It took me a while to get used to Chris Patton as Keima. Personally, I prefer Shimono Hiro's peformance better, but he does an okay performance.

One thing I do find curious about this DVD is the disc art - disc 2 features Kanon, yet all of Kanon's conquest episodes are on the first disc (Ayumi is on disc 1; she is the first conquest after all). Still, the disc art is very pretty.

Also, I found this image a while ago that I just have to share xD.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:05 am Reply with quote
It's not mean or cruel enough for what it is. I've said it before, this story only works if the visual novel king is trolled and mocked relentlessly.
nhat

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:28 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Theron wrote:

This pretty much. I would like to think we as a society have grown past what other's peoples interest are and see for what the person is really is. Unfortunately its more socially acceptable to be an alcoholic than enjoying a hobby.... wtf lol
merr

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:40 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Theron wrote:

How would learning to treat others like actual human beings be "rejecting his own identity"? It's perfectly possible to enjoy VNs and be an otaku while still acting like a normal person and having social skills. If, on the other hand, someone bases their identity on being socially dysfunctional, they probably should try to change that rather than just using obsessive hobbying as a coping mechanism.

In fact, the message of Train Man (at least the drama) was that you don't have to give up your hobbies to be happy. One of the critical moments in that show comes when the lead realizes his love interest doesn't care what his hobbies are. Earlier, he lies to get out of a second date by saying he has to work when really he just wants to go to a manga convention. The love interest gets upset, and the main character thinks she's mad because he's an otaku. The big lesson comes when he realizes it's not about his hobbies, just the fact that he can't be honest with her.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:10 am Reply with quote
OniTasku wrote:
And did you really find the voice-work (Japanese) so bothersome? I, personally, found the delivery top notch work and was rather impressed with how well Shimono Hiro played Keima and all his awkwardness and glory.

What in the review could possibly make you think that I found the original Japanese performances "bothersome?" Being positive about the English dub does not, in any way, imply that I think less of the Japanese dub; in fact, the only comment I made specifically about the Japanese dub was a positive one (i.e. that it did a far better job with Shiori).

Quote:
Christ Patton just couldn't do the character justice, IMO. It's not so much the low score of one or the other that bothers me, but that fact they were given the same score? Seems somewhat skewed, but that's just my opinion.

The Japanese dub isn't fantastically better overall and the English dub does nothing to harm the viewing experience. Thus I see no reason to assign it a lower Overall (dub) grade - and yes, I do default to the Japanese and English dubs being equal unless I see a compelling reason to mark one up or down. Too many other fans automatically assume that the English dub is going to be worse as a baseline and must be extraordinary just to equal the Japanese dub, and I hate that.

Quote:
Also, "not moe enough"... really? Was this supposed to be tongue-in-cheek? Do you honestly believe that TWGOK lacked moe?

Yes. With titles like Kanon and K-On! out there, this feels like a half-assed moe effort. (Hell, PMMM is far more moe than this one, and it's not seriously trying.)

MrTerrorist wrote:
So your complaining that the series isn't moe and when your not enjoying and the seeing the bigger picture of an awkward, geek who at first refuses to accept the real world for the game world but slowly starts to change after helping and knowing the girls?

In what way does the first season (and remember, this review is only based on the first season) show that? I saw nothing in these twelve episodes which showed Keima's resolve to reject reality and real girls wavering in the slightest, and I was looking for it.

Oh, and dtm42: I knew someone was going to make that kind of response when I wrote that part, and I'm not at all surprised that it was you. And I'll just leave it at that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kohii

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:54 am Reply with quote
Meh. I watched both seasons on Crunchyroll and wasn't really blown away. Not enough to merit a purchase or feel the need to rewatch it. Pass

Last edited by Kohii on Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:54 am Reply with quote
I have so many problems with this review, I'm not even sure where to begin. The funny part is, it's not the final rating which I think is too lenient. A basic list:

The main problem the reviewer has with the show is that it's an adaptation of a parodic shounen rather than a biting social commentary seinen like Welcome to the NHK or My Father is an Otaku. I won't state the obvious here...
The idea that the reviewer thinks that the show is a dramatic comedy even though the very premise is that Keima will complete these captures on orders from Hell or else his head will explode. Certainly, some of the girls have problems but nothing on the level of the melodramatic Key heroines as it's not meant to be taken that seriously.
The show is both pandering to its audience but also not moe enough? Does that really mean the show is both moe but not moe enough? Or is the problem that the real girls of the show aren't as moe as their game counterparts? But that can't be a problem because that's the point...
The Dub gets the same rating as the Sub even though Sentai reuses an actress as one of the heroines? How is that not a fatal flaw?
And the reviewer thinks the male uniform is pretentious? Well, I can answer that one with a "Yeah, baby" but still. The guy references Kanon in the review and he doesn't even get the point about the uniforms. I guess what is moe for girls is pretentious for boys.

To be honest, I've only seen about five dubbed episodes on the Anime Channel but I am familiar with the manga. I didn't really start to like it until about chapter 50 but the anime has made me reassess the earlier manga chapters. Still, it's a B adaptation of D material which is a C in my book. However, the dub is a drag on the rating since it's worse than Loup-Garou's, if such a thing is possible so that's a D. The review says Patton and Christian are good. You now, that is informative as I wouldn't have known that from God only knows how many Texas dubs from the past ten years. It's true, they can carry the show. On the other hand, they can carry any show and with Sentai and their use of Christian, it's almost every show. I guess the dub's fine as long as you don't pay attention to the rest of the cast.

One last thing: A parodic show with metaficitional aspects about fictional characters can be taken seriously by people who don't understand the idea that a guy, a teenager, who is obsessed by girl games {but not 2-D girls. If you don't understand the difference then please see Genshiken} over actual girls for whatever reason, is not an audience surrogate for the type of adult otaku who are obsessed by 2-D girls over real women.

In short, it's just a comedy. If you're reading too much into it, take a step back.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3