• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Rosario + Vampire/Capu2 (TV).

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mighty Midgit

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 2:28 am Reply with quote
I did a search for another topic about this and it is either buried, doesn't exist, or it's topic title doesn't say the series name in it. It is also not in the series discussion index sticky. Anyway, due to the fact that the second season is ending, I though that there should be a topic for discussing the anime.

Warning! Spoilers!
Due to the fact that I, and possibly others, will be saying a lot about this series in this topic, I don't really want posts to be filled with the black spoiler links. If you are to read this, be warned as there will be A TON of spoilers for those who have not seen too much of this series.

This post is long but you don't have to read it all. Everything below is my opinions and you can choose not to read it if you don't want to. I am mainly curious what everyone else thinks. If you want to know what I think, go ahead and read it all.

For those who don't know much about the series. It is about a human Boy, Tsukune, who acidently goes to a Demon Academy. He meats up with 2 vampires (Moka and Kokoa), a succubus (Kurumu), 2 witches (Yukari and Ruby), and a Snow woman (Mizore). It is basically a School comedy, harem, romance, supernatural story. The plot basically surrounds Tsukune's difficulties being the only Human in a school full of demons but expands a lot when he gains abilities of his own.

The 2nd season is ending this month and the manga is currently on its second series. This topic is mainly dedicated to the anime as it is in the anime forum. You can, however, refer to the manga whenever you like, as I will a lot.

Just state what you liked or didn't like, you opinions, thoughts and questions. This is a general discussion thread after all.

My opinions:

I was bored when forced into a hotel due to the freak arctic storm that's been going on and picked up reading Rosario + Vampire. I was completely pulled into it. It had a compelling storyline though a few things got a little repetitive. I finished reading it up to this December's issue so I decided to download the anime. I was excited with the fact that it had 2 seasons meaning that it should cover the First manga series. I downloaded it and started watching.

I am very opinionated so I will be writing A LOT. Read it if you want or just post you opinions/questions about the anime. Oh, and in some parts it may sound like I'm ranting a little but I'm not. Anime smile

First Season

What I thought was good:
It followed relatively close to the first arc of the manga. Some scenes and fights were removed but that is understandable when fitting the manga into a 13 episode anime.

The added content was done well for the most part but could have been replaced by content that was in the manga. Most notably would have to be the 3 girl's fan club episode. It was done well and fit with the feel of things. It played off of Tsukune's slight inferiority complex due to being the only human in a demon school. It could have easily been replaced by the story of the Medusa art teacher, Hitomi Ishigami, who was turning beautiful girls into stone as she plays many key roles later on in the story, mainly her work with the student police and the Lilith Mirror incident which is the climax of the first manga series.

The bat narrator for the series was a nice added touch. I knew instantly that it was the same bat that belonged to Moka's younger sister, Kokoa, as the personality was the same and it is the only bat in the series that can talk. He did get a little annoying at times but added a lot of comical insight such as noting how long fights lasted, its annoyance with the fact the Tsukune and Moka stare at each other too much, and his occasional interferences with characters such as being hit out of the way by Ruby in the Witch's Ranch part of the story.

I was pretty sure that the first season would end with the student police incident as the outcome is a major turning point in the story. The way that this part of the story played out was well done. I think even better than the manga did it. Everything, from the rival newspaper club, student police scandals, the human accusations, the interrogation (which was done extremely well), Tsukune's execution scene, and the final battle with the head of the Student Police. The only thing I hated was how it ended which I will go into later.

Not so good:
Ok, to start out, I was a little annoyed with the fact that the plot time-line was a little messed up but it didn't effect anything too much. A few things I noted were that Ruby's entrance to he school happened WAY too early, the fact that the story when from some time no that long after summer to right to the end of the school year skipping a lot of time. The major thing out of whack with the story though is the fact that, in the manga, the entire first series takes place in their first year of school. The incident with student police being the first semester and the trouble with Anti-Theses being the second. In the anime, the incident with the student police take the entire year leaving major gaps in time. It also wreaks havoc on the story line as the things that happened in the second semester in the manga would have to be pushed till later on messing up the time line even more.

Ruby's personality and actions in the anime annoyed the hell out of me. I lover her character in the manga as she was smart and cool headed. In the anime she is way to scatterbrained and the whole "A lot of things have happened" thing was over used so badly that I hated it whenever she showed up.

In this season they did not play up the bus driver to the extent that they should have. He is a side character but he knows more than he puts on. He was supposed to be the one keeping an eye on Tsukune as he knew that he was human. He also knew about the events at the Witch's Ranch before they even happened and about the Lilith mirror in the second season. I would place money on the fact that later on in the manga he is going to play a MUCH bigger role than he has so far

I touched on this above but I hated the fact that they completely cut out the Medusa art teacher who is one of the key antagonists in the first series of the manga. She was the one that got closest to defeating Moka (until the student police debut) and she was the one that told the Student police about the fact that Tsukune could possibly be human, basically manipulating things from the background. She also plays an important role later on meaning that they would have to add her in later or change who brings the Lilith mirror into play (which they ended up doing)

The final thing I am mentioning is how the first season ended. As mentioned above I loved how the anime played out the school police. It was done very well up until the end of the battle with Kuyou, the head of the police. In the anime Tsukune got mortally wounded like he was supposed to which forced the real Moka to give him some of her blood to heal him. Everything was going right. Tsukune healed and became part vampire. This is where it goes wrong. It's such small thing but it makes such a huge impact. All Tsukkune does is get Moka out of the way of an attack with a very short spurt of vampiric power, then Moka goes and defeats Kuyou. In the manga, Tsukune was empowered by the vampire blood and ends up defeating Kuyou himsef as Moka didn't have the energy to. A human turning vampire and defeating one of the strongest s-class demons is the catalyst for a lot of what happens in the entire second half of the first series.

Overal:
I liked the first season. It was done well. The only problem is that too much was changed/left out to make the second season do the manga any justice.

Second Season

Ok, where to start with this one... I am not going to do a good/bad thing like I did with season 1 because, IMO, there is soooooo much wrong with this season.

The only positives that I can think of are that they integrated the narrator bat back to being Kokoa's servant well which added a little more comedy to his character. The episode based of him was also done well except for the end when there was singing and a lot of other things that made it rather cheesy. Also when they did episodes based on actual chapters in the manga, they were done well, for the most part.

Now the ugly stuff.

For one. This anime had more pantie shots than anything I have ever seen. Half of this season was shown from an angle lower than the hip. It annoyed the hell out of me. And depending on what station you wated it on, it was sensored continually by stupid bats and bears that covered more than just inapropriate views but also some things in the background that needed to be seen. The spisoode based on a buch of little shorts had one where Ruby was cracking down on how much underwear was showing and that was comical but I still think it is over used. They should have kept it the way the manga had it and had the skirts covering it even if it goes against physics.

Secondly forget time-lines because this season has none. It felt like a bunch of random episodes pasted together in random order. nothing happened chronologically and no episodes lead to the next. It felt like another lame, plotless American show like spongebob. No plot, rime, or reason to any episode.

Speaking of plot, This season has none. hardly anything that was supposed to happen in the second half of the first manga series even happened. The only things that happened were Tsukune's cousin finding out about the academy and the demons, the Lilith mirror causing the school to go crazy, and the barrier breaking down, and even these things happened in the wrong order. Everything else was just random nonsense that never happened in the manga. It felt like the creators wanted to make their own school life anime and just tack in the characters and basic theme.

When it comes to what they cut out that was supposed to happen the list would be too big to write, and I don't think anyone who has read this far would want to read too much more.

Here is the condensed version (yes, condensed). I am putting this as a spoiler because I don't know if they were saving this for season 3 or not (I sure as hell hope so).

spoiler[Basically what really happened was that after the incident with Kuyou, Tsukune gets scared of what Moka did to him causes troubles, people challenge him, Moka gives him more blood here and there. He gets use to the vampire in him and defeats them.

The Blood starts causing troubles as a new enemy faction shows up (Anti-Theses) made up of mixed breed demons that want to show their superiority over purebreds. Moka gets captured by them and Tsukune tries to rescue her. He gets plastered and Moka used blood again causing his body to go overboard. He goes berserk, defeats everyone but doesn't stop and starts attacking his friends. The real Moka nearly kills him as an act of sympathy but is interrupted by Ruby as she and the Headmaster place a sealing bracelet on him to keep his powers at bay. (Yes, this is the time that Ruby was supposed to make her first appearance at the school)

As the School festival approaches and Anti-Thesis still at large, the headmaster places Tsukune on the planning committee to weed out an unknown member of the evil faction in the committee. He does so but the committee head is actually part of the faction too and he ends up stealing the charm from the headmaster that breaks the barrier. This is what actually causes the barrier to break apart where in the anime it just happens out of nowhere. Tsukune and Moka defeat him and fix things and get ready for a relaxing school festival.

At the festival he meats the parents of a few of the girls instead of at a parent teacher day. His cousin shows up at the festival with the Lilith Mirror secretly given to her by the banished art teacher in order to steal Tsukune's soul and cause as much havoc as possible in the school. His cousin finds out about the school's secret, helps fix ithe problems caused bu the mirror, and Moka defeats the ex-art teacher.

The school gets closed down due to damage and all students have to go back home and do personal studies until the new school year. The girls show up at Tsukunes home, meets the parents, causes problems in the human world, and gets all demons forced back to the dorms in the demon realm except Tsukune who gets to spend the break at home. That is actually when the girls were supposed to meet his family. The first series then ends there with the new school year being the start of the second series. Kokoa was supposed to be introduced then and play a bigger role than just pestering her sister as she does all this season.]

Overall I hated the second season. It was random and had little to no connection with what was supposed to happen. I had high hopes because this site rated it higher than the first season but it turned to become a mojor let down. I am hoping for a good third season based on everything left out. If they just drop connection with the manga and continue with their own plotless story than I will probably stop watching it and just read it month by month. What they have for the second series of the monga is quite good and looks like it is going to get rather intense so I have high hopes for it.

-----------------

Now that that brick is done, I am curious about what others have to say about this series. Their likes and dis-likes. And no, you don't need to write nearly as much as I did.

Thanks for reading and happy posting!

Last edited by Mighty Midgit on Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:50 pm; edited 3 times in total
Mistypearl

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Yay wall of text! Personally, I thought the first season was a bit bad with the fanservice, but near the end I thought they did a pretty good job, and well... the second season was laughable. It was indeed like spongebob! Though I am a fan of the early years spongebob...

But overall, any anime that has a panty shot BEFORE EVEN 30 SECONDS IN THE BEGINNING OF THE SHOW... (that really amazed me/ticked me off/left me dumbfounded, if you will) isn't my cup of tea. Haha.
Mighty Midgit

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Yah, it's sad. It had a lot of promise because the manga was great but it left me disapointed.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Too long, read some. The first season was fun at points, but it was otaku pandering fanservice. Second season is awful, but it's the best animated fanservice as of late, so I basically watch it for that.

They're both shitty shows and don't deserve any attention, but this is all GONZO will be doing from now on. This and Strike Witches.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 8:03 pm Reply with quote
I'm about 7 or 8 episodes into the first season right now. It's interesting because of the fanservice and the comedy but it's just not one of those series I really feel a sense of urgency to see the next episode of, so I'm just slowly cruising through it.

Quote:
But overall, any anime that has a panty shot BEFORE EVEN 30 SECONDS IN THE BEGINNING OF THE SHOW... (that really amazed me/ticked me off/left me dumbfounded, if you will) isn't my cup of tea. Haha.

Well, I commend the show there for comming right out and showing what the show will be about right away. That way if somebody really has a problem with the stuff they can know that the show is not for them. Laughing
Mighty Midgit

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
I'm about 7 or 8 episodes into the first season right now. It's interesting because of the fanservice and the comedy but it's just not one of those series I really feel a sense of urgency to see the next episode of, so I'm just slowly cruising through it.

Quote:

Well, I commend the show there for comming right out and showing what the show will be about right away. That way if somebody really has a problem with the stuff they can know that the show is not for them. Laughing

I'm curious, have you read the manga? If not, I suggest you do. While to first season is great and it does make you want to see the next episode, the manga gives even more of that feeling.

And if you though that the panty shots were bad in the first season, wait till the second
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 3:35 pm Reply with quote
I'm more of anime person actually, pictures are better when they move and have sound. I only read a handful of manga titles, (7) most of which are from anime I was really into where the manga was radically different or continued on past where the anime left off to justify a purchase.

Also I have no problem with fanservice personally, as long as it doesn't become disturbing like say....Eiken was.
Mighty Midgit

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
I'm more of anime person actually, pictures are better when they move and have sound. I only read a handful of manga titles, (7) most of which are from anime I was really into where the manga was radically different or continued on past where the anime left off to justify a purchase.

Also I have no problem with fanservice personally, as long as it doesn't become disturbing like say....Eiken was.

Lol, Eiken was a joke.

Anyway, I would highly suggest reading the manga even if you don't like reading them all that much as it a much better except for the end of season 1 of the anime spoiler[as the way they built up to Tsukune's execution is better]. If you don't want to buy it you can easily find it online. There is a huge difference between the anime and manga almost making them separate stories by the end of the second season on the anime so it is worth picking up to see how it was meant to be.
twister1993

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Iv'e read the mangas and yaah the story line is better.
BUT you guys forget one thing each scene there is in the anime is over 100 pictures drawn just to make them move a little ^^ and to make that whole story would take a long time and make it from 13 episodes to at least 30 episodes.
(and i don't mean that they cant make it that long i would be happy if they dide =D, but when you now it's only 13 episodes what dide you guys expect?) And the voices of the characters is perfect no complaining about that at all!

And in the end i thought it was great<3 but i still need a Season 3 at least. (and they could make a season 1-2 but longer so that the whole story from the manga is in it)
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:29 pm Reply with quote
I saw both anime series first, I actualy quite liked them, though I am usually not much of a manga person I decided to try the. And I enjoyed the manga even more, and I realised where the anime went wrong and what people's complaints are.

Even if you are not a manga person, but you enjoyed the anime, I ecnourage to read the manga aswell. Personally I have bought and thus read the first 9 vollumes, which have been released here in Australia, except for vollume 8 which I had to look online as for some strange reason Borders is not distributing, and I could find no reason why.

I might say that I enjoyed the anime, until read the manga and it is probably best to see it in that order.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Well, it's two years later, and a bit more of a manga person at 16 series, but fanservice titles like Rosario + Vampire aren't really my first pick when it comes to things to read. I'm more into stuff like Black Lagoon, Claymore, Dogs: Bullets and Carnage, Hellsing, and Gunslinger Girl. I might read it eventually though.
Asadorn

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Has anyone else noticed we Americans care more about Japanese shows than they do? Anyway my question is can Gonzo PLEASE make another season (preferably many MANY more seasons) of Rosario + Vampire? It is an AMAZING way to escape reality and to be painfully honest I'm more addicted to it than someone addicted to drugs I'm borderline obsessed with it. With that being said does anyone know where to buy contacts that give you Moka Vamp's eyes? Or the Rosario seal trinity cross?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Welcome to the forums Asadorn, I too would like to see more Rosario Vampire, I got very into it for some reason when I watched the anime. But even better was how I have found the manga, which sadlly makes the anime look rather poor in comparison.

Lately I was happy to find both seasons being sold at the shops, been really um-ing and ah-ing over getting it, but I already collect the manga and have 17 volumes of.
nero0222

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Asking for realising date of Season 3.... dont say no more =(( Please.......
Rukiia

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:47 pm Reply with quote
nero0222 wrote:
Asking for realising date of Season 3.... don't say no more =(( Please.......

There is no more nor has there been any announcements of a third season being made. Sorry but you gotta accept it. Best you can do is check for updates on the site, but that is really all. Posting on a forum begging for more is not helping.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2