• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Gundam: Battle Operation Game's 3rd Promo Streamed

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The American Average

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:19 am Reply with quote
god this game looks awesome! also that pink hearted Zaku was killa
Banken

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:26 am Reply with quote
Yaaay, another Gundam game with Gundam game physics instead of physics based on the anime...

Because I've always loved playing games where suits are invincible after being knocked down, take multiple hits to kill, and where the only real tactic is "shoot them right after they land."

*sarcasm off*

I'm hoping they'll eventually make something that actually feels like you're in a mobile suit, and not just playing another Gundam game.

And a game that actually has space combat that gets it right (compared to the anime at least). Considering 60% or more in the UC series is in space, 90% of Gundam games are land only. A colony battle level that lets you fight inside and outside of colonies (including blowing holes in the side of them) would be beyond awesome.
taco123

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:43 am Reply with quote
Banken wrote:
Yaaay, another Gundam game with Gundam game physics instead of physics based on the anime...

Because I've always loved playing games where suits are invincible after being knocked down, take multiple hits to kill, and where the only real tactic is "shoot them right after they land."

*sarcasm off*

I'm hoping they'll eventually make something that actually feels like you're in a mobile suit, and not just playing another Gundam game.

And a game that actually has space combat that gets it right (compared to the anime at least). Considering 60% or more in the UC series is in space, 90% of Gundam games are land only. A colony battle level that lets you fight inside and outside of colonies (including blowing holes in the side of them) would be beyond awesome.
I completely agree with you. While the game looks realistic and the physics look pretty neat, it's not really reminiscent of Gundam. I like the whole "step out of the mobile suit"-mode in this game but the problem is that it's a selling point for the game and that never really was something I wanted to see in a Gundam game. Combat system outside of a mobile suit is just like call of duty and it's ridiculous.

I hope Bandai's next Gundam game focuses on a single anime and stays faithful to the mechanics. Also, they shouldn't push this "hyperrealism" thing so hard on the environment. The models actually look great but the environment is just a little too much for me.

Anyways, I'll probably pick it up when it hits NA but like other gundam games, I'm probably not going to be 100% satisfied.
Banken

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:18 am Reply with quote
Gundam games will never be great until you feel like you're in a 70-ton 60-foot robot, instead of a just person running around in a miniaturized town...

If there's infantry combat, they need to make it feel like MS Igloo... fighting against MS should feel like... death incarnate.
LaSean

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Banken wrote:

*sarcasm off*

So you wanna play a online Multiplayer game where it only takes one shot to die like in the anime? That's stupid as so as you spawn you would die. No one would last 5seconds if they made a game like that.

taco123 wrote:
I completely agree with you. While the game looks realistic and the physics look pretty neat, it's not really reminiscent of Gundam. I like the whole "step out of the mobile suit"-mode in this game but the problem is that it's a selling point for the game and that never really was something I wanted to see in a Gundam game. Combat system outside of a mobile suit is just like call of duty and it's ridiculous.

I hope Bandai's next Gundam game focuses on a single anime and stays faithful to the mechanics. Also, they shouldn't push this "hyperrealism" thing so hard on the environment. The models actually look great but the environment is just a little too much for me.

Anyways, I'll probably pick it up when it hits NA but like other gundam games, I'm probably not going to be 100% satisfied.

1. Its a free to play PSN only game, meaning its you can't pick it up.

2. Its not coming NA like most Gundam games.

3. "Environments hyper realistic" lol Nothing about the graphics are special they look nowhere near realistic. The graphics look just a cheap licensed game would look. Crysis doesn't even have "Hyper realistic graphics"

4. Gundam games need to have better graphics instead of the cheap 720p Playstation2.5 graphics that they have now with cheap presentation. Variety is good. The graphics they have now & cell shaded are fine but they need some games that look great graphically and not only that but have great gameplay. Most anime games are just ok and are only decent because we are fans of said series.

5. Duh of course outside of the Gundam is gonna play like "COD" because there are guns and most gundam pilots are trained soilders.

6. The are plenty of games that just focus on a single anime. Are you new to Gundam games? They just had one on PS3 based only on Gundam Unicorn.

Banken wrote:
Gundam games will never be great until you feel like you're in a 70-ton 60-foot robot, instead of a just person running around in a miniaturized town...

If there's infantry combat, they need to make it feel like MS Igloo... fighting against MS should feel like... death incarnate.
Exactly!
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Banken wrote:

Operation Troy?

Not Gundam but Robot Alchemic Drive for the PS2?

There's been a few games like that with the whole miniaturized town.
Banken

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Every Gundam game feels like human-scale suits in miniature scale sets.

They need to use some sort of depth perception tricks and 'heavy' physics to make it feel like you're actually piloting a suit.

And it needs to be first person shooter like the Gundam arcade game, which looks cool, but sucks for all the reasons that all Gundam games inherently suck... which is that it feels like a Gundam game, not a Gundam.

Also, there are many, many modern shooters where you die almost instantly when hit in the head, and no one seems to mind.

In a Gundam game, hitting a suit that isn't a V-Project weapon with a beam weapon or explosive round in the chest or backpack should kill it. Hitting legs, heads, and arms should blow parts off, causing various problems when this happens.

Of course, suits have sensors that detect heat signatures, so you are given a fair warning when someone fires a beam rifle at you... Dodging and manuevering is more important than cover, although it helps (unless someone shoots a beam rifle through the windows of a high-rise you're behind).

Being able to play a Gundam game where the targeting system is isn't based on a cycling lock system would be so refreshing...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1