In This Corner of the World Live-Action Series Reveals Additional Cast Members
posted on by Rafael Antonio Pineda
The official website for the live-action television series adaptation of Fumiyo Kouno's In This Corner of the World (Kono Sekai no Katasumi ni) manga revealed additional cast members for the series on Monday.
The additional cast includes (clockwise from upper left in image above):
- Fumi Nikaidō as Rin Shiroki, a woman from the red light district whom Suzu befriends
- Nobuko Miyamoto as Ito Morita, Suzu's grandmother
- Nijirō Murakami as Tetsu Mizuhara, Suzu's childhood friend and first love
- Doronzu Ishimoto as Jūrō Urano, Suzu's father
- Sansei Shiomi as Yasujirō Dōmoto, a grandfather from a family in the Hojo family's neighborhood
- Nobuko Sendō as Kiseno Urano, Suzu's mother
- Hana Kino as Taki Kariya, a neighbor of the Hojo family, and the de facto leader of the Housewives' Association
Other new cast members include:
- Miu Arai as Suzu (as a child)
- Kurumi Inagaki as Harumi, Keiko's daughter
Previously announced cast members include:
- Sairi Itō as original character Sachiko Kariya
- Kaho Tsuchimura as Shino Dōmoto, a housewife whose husband is at the front
- Sayu Kubota as Suzu's younger sister Sumi
- Machiko Ono as Shūsaku's older sister Keiko Kuromura
- Tomorowo Taguchi as Shūsaku's father Entarō Hōjō
- Ran Itō as Shūsaku's mother San Hōjō
Nobuhiro Doi (Jūhan Shuttai!, Season of the Sun) is directing the series, and Yoshikazu Otada (Hyokko) is writing the script. Joe Hisaishi (Studio Ghibli films) is composing the music. Filming started in early May, and will continue until early September. The series will premiere in July and will air on Sundays at 9:00 p.m.
Sunao Katabuchi (Black Lagoon, Mai Mai Miracle) previously wrote and directed an award-winning anime film of the manga produced by GENCO and MAPPA. The anime premiered in Japan in November 2016. Shout! Factory and Funimation Films screened the film in the United States and Canada last August. Funimation describes the story:
The award-winning story of IN THIS CORNER OF THE WORLD follows a young lady named Suzu Urano, who in 1944 moves to the small town of Kure in Hiroshima to live with her husband's family. Suzu's life is thrown into chaos when her town is bombed during World War II. Her perseverance and courage underpin this heart-warming and inspirational tale of the everyday challenges faced by the Japanese in the midst of a violent, war-torn country. This beautiful yet poignant tale shows that even in the face of adversity and loss, people can come together and rebuild their lives.
Town of Evening Calm, Country of Cherry Blossoms (Yūnagi no Machi, Sakura no Kuni), another Kouno manga that similarly centers on wartime events in Hiroshima, is also inspiring a live-action series adaptation this summer. The manga previously inspired a live-action film in 2007.