• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Makoto Shinkai's Hoshi o Ou Kodomo Film Teaser Posted

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:08 pm Reply with quote
this looks awesome. for once it looks like action/fantasy. gonna be bad ass
suna_suna

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:12 pm Reply with quote
looks to be fantastic

and I'll be in Japan when it comes out too
swienke

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Maybe it's just the character designs and the fantasy-ish setting, but this one seems almost Ghibli-esque.

Shinkai + Ghibli-style = awesome sauce!!!

I'm excited already.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:52 pm Reply with quote
While it's hard to draw any conclusions from a brief trailer, it also gives me every reason to expect the same quality that I've come to enjoy from Makoto Shinkai, so I'm looking forwards to this.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:28 pm Reply with quote
About time. Here's hoping for a future license so I can see Shinkai's next beautiful film.
lostinagoodbook

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Can't wait!!
grooven

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:49 pm Reply with quote
This looks simply outstanding the colors and movements are just beyond amazing!
Ghstmtrx

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:12 am Reply with quote
Splended. I am looking forward to this movie more than anything right now.

I am hoping when it does come over here it gets a huge theatrical release an Oscar nod and everything else. I want the world to know of Shinkai's brilliance!

Not that I know that this movie will be Oscar worthy but if it is anything like his past work it will certainly be great.
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:26 am Reply with quote
swienke wrote:
Maybe it's just the character designs and the fantasy-ish setting, but this one seems almost Ghibli-esque.

Shinkai + Ghibli-style = awesome sauce!!!

I'm excited already.

My thoughts exactly. Shinkai's fantasy style really does resemble Miyazaki's works. He's treading on sacred ground there, but if anyone can pull it off it's him. This might prove that Shinkai is the successor to Miyazaki that Japan has been hoping for. The movie looks awesome so far and certainly sounds very promising. Can't wait!

Seeing this I wonder just how good Crunchyroll's relationship with Shinkai really is. They've been celebrating Shinkai day for the last two years and they're releasing 5cm/s on DVD, maybe they've got what it takes to license this as well.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
hikaru004

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:56 am Reply with quote
I hope that it gets released in the US on blu-ray.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:14 am Reply with quote
Another "can't friggin' wait for this!" type checking in. Probably too much to hope for, but I would love to see this on the big screen (and no, I ain't just talking about a 65" inch plasma TV, either).

Last edited by Blood- on Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Kuchibiru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:16 am Reply with quote
For those wondering, the girl in the beginning says:

"I want to hear that person's voice one more time."

This looks pretty awesome, and I shall be super stoked for when it comes out.
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:18 am Reply with quote
All I can say is - WOW Anime exclamation
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:27 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
This might prove that Shinkai is the successor to Miyazaki that Japan has been hoping for.

The ADV release of 5 Centimetres per Second boldly proclaims this to be the case already. (I hold Shinkai in a higher regard than I do Miyazaki, though I acknowledge that most people do not.)

I was initially unsure about the brass-laden orchestral accompaniment, though the subsequent bars of a pronounced and uncomplicated piano melody compensated for this. A similar scepticism can be expressed of Shinkai's exploration of the fantasy genre, as distinct from the domain of science fiction in which he has worked wonders. One hopes that this film retains a firm emphasis on sentimental compositions and primarily emotive character interactions, instead of attempting any sort of world-building that requires narrative complexity.

Not being partial to the most acclaimed Ghibli works, I do not echo the enthusiasm expressed over this latest film's stylistic similarities with said studio's output. This isn't to say that I disapprove of Shinkai's project, but rather to convey the hope that it caters to the many fans of his films instead of a broader audience.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:38 am Reply with quote
This looks awesome. It's interesting to see Shinkai's visual style paired up with a more light hearted action-adventure story. Looking back over his output I think this is probably a smart move, as The Place Promised in Our Early Days really got bogged down in it's attempt to portray mature political themes.

As far as the "Shinkai is the next Miyazaki" stuff goes, I think the comparison isn't valid. Shinkai is great at creating visuals and coming up with interesting concepts, but he doesn't yet have the skill to turn them into longer stories in anywhere near the same fashion as Miyazaki. If anyone deserves the title of the "next Miyazaki" it's probably Mamoru Hosoda.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3