• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan Lifts Partial Ban on Packages Shipped to U.S.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
omnistry

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone know if this included packages sent from CDJapan?
Redlinks

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:54 pm Reply with quote
I'm guessing this is to prevent us from doing anything illegal.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:57 pm Reply with quote
omnistry wrote:

If they have a existing contract with Japan Post they were not affected by this. So if CDJapan has a contract with JP, then they will be alright.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Takeyo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Redlinks wrote:

Such as blowing up airplanes, yes.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:34 pm Reply with quote
I'd imagine any retail business would have a contract as bans like these are designed to target anonymous individuals from sending packages. Just like there is a weight limitation in the U.S. on items mailed with postage stamps. As long as they can trace the origin of the package, shipping bans need not be enforced.
Otaku_X

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Glad it's lifted. about 2 days before the ban I recieved a Kamen Rider belt from an individual in Japan. THough all my orders since the ban have been from places like J-list, so the ban didn't have a chance to really bother me.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Takeyo wrote:
Redlinks wrote:

Such as blowing up airplanes, yes.

Which is sorta ironic due to the fact that the Japanese invented the concept of smashing planes into stationary objects.....
Dumnerd

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:54 pm Reply with quote
omnistry wrote:
Sorry to go off-topic but, did you happen to receive an email from CDJapan asking you to mail/fax them proof of identity, proof of address, card-ownership, etc.? Confused
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:11 pm Reply with quote
People kinda glazed over the fact that this only effected packages without a return address and instantly went into a panic over the restrictions. I can't even imagine why someone would ship a package without a return address, but apparently enough people in Japan do it that they need to put a temp ban on it.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Daemonblue

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
People kinda glazed over the fact that this only effected packages without a return address and instantly went into a panic over the restrictions. I can't even imagine why someone would ship a package without a return address, but apparently enough people in Japan do it that they need to put a temp ban on it.

Emerje

Because the return address can be linked to the type of product that is within the package? I'm pretty sure if it was from a store that only dealt with sexual products then it would be pretty easy to figure out the type of item inside of it.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Yahoo auctions here I come...
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Daemonblue wrote:
Because the return address can be linked to the type of product that is within the package? I'm pretty sure if it was from a store that only dealt with sexual products then it would be pretty easy to figure out the type of item inside of it.

Um, you realize you can put an address on a box without the name of the person or business. Plus a store like that would already be registered with the Japanese PO and wouldn't be effected by this in the first place. Not to mention anything I've imported (which is at least one package a month) they've written the contents right on the box anyway ("collectible figure", "scale model") as well as its price. I doubt they'd write "sex toy" on the box, but they might write "adult item" which is telling enough.

Emerje
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
I doubt they'd write "sex toy" on the box, but they might write "adult item" which is telling enough.

Emerje

And you know this, how?
Sailor S

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
Emerje wrote:
I doubt they'd write "sex toy" on the box, but they might write "adult item" which is telling enough.

Emerje

And you know this, how?

They never said they did know. By saying "I doubt they'd..." it should be pretty obvious that they're speculating.

The ban never affected me, since all packages I've had sent to me from Japan have all been with reputable retailers that were registered with the post office, but the ban was pretty silly anyways. If they can have full body imaging machines at the airport, why can't they just scan packages before they go into planes? Surely they have the technology to detect a bomb in a box by now. I assume that's why they send our luggage through xray machines and such, isn't it?
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

A few months ago I ordered an obitsu (doll) stand from Japan. When it arrived, the customs slip read, "Adult Toy". Embarassed
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2