• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Haruhi Film BD Sells 77,000+ Copies to Top Weekly Chart

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TopGunman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:52 pm Reply with quote
I love Haruhi! (not that way but a lot)
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:33 pm Reply with quote
The Gintama movie sold more copies than the Haruhi movie?

Now that is really surprising.
TheGameNinja

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:35 pm Reply with quote
And still no word on the dub's release, theatrical or on disc. Confused
TopGunman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:38 pm Reply with quote
TheGameNinja wrote:
And still no word on the dub's release, theatrical or on disc. Confused

It's confirmed that a dub is gonna be made. Theatrical or straight to dvd, idc as long as I get to see it in English.
SonicRenegade84

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Well, at least it sold copies.

Though this movie better have something happen. 2 and 1/2 hours? My ass.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bayoab

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

Gintama movie includes 6 days of sales. Haruhi is only 3.
Gintama has 2 DVD versions, both of which charted. Haruhi has 2 DVD and 2 BD, only the LEs are announced so far.
Manwards

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:11 pm Reply with quote
SonicRenegade84 wrote:

Oh, it does.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:32 pm Reply with quote
SonicRenegade84 wrote:

I can remember thinking the same thing when I saw the length and going, "they're trying to adapt a short length light novel into an almost 3 hour movie....this can't end well". Some parts something happens, but the movie meanders like you wouldn't believe during other parts. If you can make it through the first hour without tapping out then you should be okay, but yeah.....wow does the movie take it's sweet time getting started. Shocked Some people will argue it's too build mood and atmosphere, I would argue it could easily, EASILY have accomplished this feat in about 30-40 less minutes...possibly even more.

This isn't like Lawrence of Arabia's epic 3 hours and 50 minutes or the Das Boot uncut edition (almost 5 hours) either where they're trying to convey an epic that takes place over the course of months and even years (in LoA's case) either, the Haruhi movie takes place over the course of a few days so there's really no reason for it to be anywhere near as long as it was.

Megiddo wrote:

Why? It's a popular hit Shonen Jump series (these always do well) and a popular anime series in it's own right and the movie was highly anticipated by fans in Japan if I recall.
egoist

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:
Why? It's a popular hit Shonen Jump series (these always do well) and a popular anime series in it's own right and the movie was highly anticipated by fans in Japan if I recall.

I've seen people throwing this around for a while, but Gintama isn't your usual Shonen anime. It does have its shonen arcs (which are minimum).
It's a quality, long-running, comedy series, and I'm not surprised that a film featuring the most popular characters would sell this well. And yep, it's a retelling of an already existent arc, opposed to Haruhi's all original (animated, at least).

Haruhi's rabid fanbase definitely makes this inutile race a fair one, so I don't know what are all these excuses for when both are playing on fair grounds.
TJR

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Gintama also enjoys a rabid fujoshi fanbase, who're an increasingly prominent part of the DVD buying market (Hakuouki, Durarara!!, Kuroshitsuji, Hetalia). In the past, it was believed that female otaku had little interest in home video, but major inroads are being made, at least where BL appeal is concerned.

It helps when a title appeals to many segments of the market instead of one niche.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:45 pm Reply with quote
bayoab wrote:
Megiddo wrote:

Gintama movie includes 6 days of sales. Haruhi is only 3.
Gintama has 2 DVD versions, both of which charted. Haruhi has 2 DVD and 2 BD, only the LEs are announced so far.

I think we both know that the majority of sales take place in the first 3 days (heck, the first two) anyway. And the reason that the copies sold of the regular editions of Haruhi are unknown are because they didn't even chart (either top 30 or top 100), meaning practically negligible sales.

Haruhi really undersold. Either that or I grossly overestimated its amount of fans. If you would have told me that the Gintama movie sold more copies than Haruhi (especially with Gintama's release being DVD-only!), I would have never believed you.

This is... really surprising. As I said. I wonder why either a) so few copies of Haruhi were sold or b) so many copies of Gintama were sold.
Panon

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:08 pm Reply with quote
If you think nearly 100,000 copies is "under selling" you have no idea what you're talking about.
Likewise

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:
SonicRenegade84 wrote:

I can remember thinking the same thing when I saw the length and going, "they're trying to adapt a short length light novel into an almost 3 hour movie....this can't end well". Some parts something happens, but the movie meanders like you wouldn't believe during other parts. If you can make it through the first hour without tapping out then you should be okay, but yeah.....wow does the movie take it's sweet time getting started. Shocked Some people will argue it's too build mood and atmosphere, I would argue it could easily, EASILY have accomplished this feat in about 30-40 less minutes...possibly even more.

This isn't like Lawrence of Arabia's epic 3 hours and 50 minutes or the Das Boot uncut edition (almost 5 hours) either where they're trying to convey an epic that takes place over the course of months and even years (in LoA's case) either, the Haruhi movie takes place over the course of a few days so there's really no reason for it to be anywhere near as long as it was.

I'd love to hear you point out what scenes they could've either shortened or left out.

Having read both the novel and the movie, this feels about right.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Well now it out in japan it will soon be out here to maybe
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:27 pm Reply with quote
If they wanted to cut the movie shorter, they could have had the spoiler[random friend show up and tell Kyon which high school that Haruhi went to before the 30 minute moping section. Since Kyon was obviously too stupid to look up the phonebook or even social media sites to see where Haruhi was and instead did nothing but mope for 30 minutes straight, that could easily be cut. The whole trying-to-find-clues-left-by-Other-Yuki can be cut too, since, once again, they were of absolutely no use whatsoever to the story.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3