• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Coolest Character Tournament: Nominations-Minigame

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Unicorn_Blade wrote:
For future reference, since Scar made it through (hooraaayyyy!), so how do we treat his character- since he is quite different in FMA and Brotherhood (specially his awesome combat skills are more apparent in Brotherhood, and he manages to make up for his crimes- at least to an extent much higher than in FMA1). ?

That's a very good question, and I'm open to opinions on that. I have only seen the first half of Brotherhood so far, so I am probably not the best judge on that point:

Is Scar's portrayal between the two series enough to warrant a focus more on one than the other?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
nbahn wrote:
VOTE AGAINST:
Ryoko Balta, Tench Muyo GXP Sorry folks, but all things being equal, I will NOT support anyone/thing that is associated with a harem COMEDY!!!
Key wrote:
[*]Gorobei Katayama, Priss Asagiri, and Ryoko are out because they got Votes Against.
I won't make much about this, as she had another vote against, but technically nbahn was voting against someone who wasn't nominated. Ryoko Balta was a separate character who named herself after the other Ryoko when she became a pirate herself. ... [W]hen she met the real Ryoko she melted into adoration and reverence, which I thought further proved Ryoko's cool factor. Yet, nbahn's bias against characters in harem comedies, apparently even ones heavy on action, stands.

Does this mean that if a "Most Clueless" competition were to be held right now, then that I would win it hands down? Confused Anime dazed

key wrote:
Is Scar's portrayal between the two series enough to warrant a focus more on one than the other?

Considering exactly how Scar's relationship with Roy Mustang, uh, evolves in "Brotherhood"; then I would say, "Hell, YEAH!"
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:03 pm Reply with quote
nbahn wrote:
Does this mean that if a "Most Clueless" competition were to be held right now, then that I would win it hands down? Confused Anime dazed

I second this nomination. Wink

Is anyone willing to rewrite Shiki's entry guide? Go ahead, mine was so weak that I can't even remember what I wrote.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:19 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
nbahn wrote:

I second this nomination. Wink

You are too cruel! Crying or Very sad Anime cry
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:21 pm Reply with quote
In anticipation of Key posting the completed bracket, I'm posting the rules for the mini-game now so people can get started as soon as the bracket goes up.
Edit: With the delayed tournament start, I feel there is no longer a need to offer extensions on submissions. Don't wait until the last minute, though, in case unexpected issues arise.

Rules for ANN's Coolest Character Tournament Mini-game
Submissions:
To enter the mini-game, fill out and send me a completed bracket. Brackets can be emailed to me at Sean_A_Rooney [at] yahoo [dot] com. Submissions may be submitted up until the tournament starts.

Detailed Instructions
1. Download the spreadsheet file that Key [posted].
2. Copy the names of the characters you expect to win into the respective fields.
3. Rename and save the spreadsheet with your username in the file name.
4. Email the completed spreadsheet as an attachment to me, preferably including "minigame" in the email topic.
5. ???
6. Profit!

Scoring:
First round - each correct guess is worth 1 point.
Second round - each correct guess is worth 2 points.
Third round - each correct guess is worth 3 points.
Fourth round - each correct guess is worth 4 points.
Fifth round - each correct guess is worth 6 points.
Semifinal round - each correct guess is worth 8 points.
Final round - a correct guess is worth 10 points.

Prizes:
First place will receive $150 worth of anime, manga, and/or related products of their choice.
Second place will receive $100 worth of anime, manga, and/or related products of their choice.
Third place will receive $50 worth of anime, manga, and/or related products of their choice.
In the event of a tie, the prizes will be split evenly (e.g. if the results produce a first place winner and a tie for second, first place receives $150, the two in second receive $75 each).

Eligibility:
Anyone may enter. In order to receive the full prize, you must be able to provide a U.S. mailing address the prize can be delivered to (Canadian addresses are acceptable for many retail sites, too). Winners outside the U.S. may still participate, but prize values will be halved to cover shipping costs.

Miscellaneous: If you're having trouble getting November 11's name to not convert to a numerical date in your spreadsheet program, you can try the following: Go to "Format Cell", then change the category in the numbers tab to "text" (it's probably at the bottom of the list).

Last edited by Dorcas_Aurelia on Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:58 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Unicorn_Blade wrote:
For future reference, since Scar made it through (hooraaayyyy!), so how do we treat his character- since he is quite different in FMA and Brotherhood (specially his awesome combat skills are more apparent in Brotherhood, and he manages to make up for his crimes- at least to an extent much higher than in FMA1). ?

That's a very good question, and I'm open to opinions on that. I have only seen the first half of Brotherhood so far, so I am probably not the best judge on that point:

I personally think the two are different enought to make a distinction. I personally would go with Brotherhood- as I said, it focuses more on his metamorphosis (where at one point Scar starts cooperating with Ed and co in order to save Armestris), and his fighting technique is so much more developped than in the first anime, as well as overal attitute of other characters towards him. I dont know what other people think, but since we already had someone vote against Scar based on his action in the first series, which does not give justice to the character as a whole, I thought it might complicate the case later on when it comes to voting.
RapidEyeMovement

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:53 am Reply with quote
Vote for:

Dr. Black Jack (from Black Jack)

Balsa the Spearwielder (Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit)

Arsene Lupin III (Lupin III)

Utena Tenjou (Revolutionary Girl Utena)
ClownFREAK

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:43 pm Reply with quote
I have to vote for my man Guts-Berserk I mean the guy has pretty much the worst things possible happen to him but he's still fighting like a crazy S.O.B.

I also would like to vote for Kenpachi Zaraki, Bleach
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Nominations are closed. Please read the first post for more info. We appreciate your enthusiasm, hopefully we will see you two at the tournament.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:55 am Reply with quote
The bracket has now been set for the tournament. An Excel spreadsheet version of it can be found below, which can be used for the Mini-Game.

I did things a little differently than what I had originally intended. Group A is an All-Bad-Ass group. Group C is an All-General-Cool group. Groups B and D are a mix of both with all of the Either-rated characters thrown in, too. Like last time, I generally tried to avoid characters from the same series and those which had 9+ votes from being too close together and also tried to avoid powerhouse early matches. I wasn't entirely successful at this, though, as what I consider to be a fluke of the voting has resulted in a rather evil D-12 pairing. (In fact, I generally think that D is the strongest Group, the way things turned out.)

And concerning the start time for the tournament? It is going to get pushed back to the 10th of January. I got an unexpected rush job on reviewing a 29-episode boxed set earlier this week, which will make it impossible for me to get all of the Guide files done on time for the 3rd. (And speaking of that rush job, how in the hell did we get through the nomination phase without anyone from Read or Die getting nominated?)

And please do note that a new, stickied thread will be start once the tournament actually starts.

Tourney Bracket

Mini-Game Rules
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:13 am Reply with quote
Saeko could get a new picture. I saw an action sequence on YouTube (the one where the sniper round, er - ahem - went between her flailing breasts), and my word that was impressive. She deserves a better image than that. Maybe instead of a still image she could have a .gif showing that sequence? I bet she'd get lots of votes then.

He may or may not be a douche (YMMV), but that's no reason to spell Lelouch's name wrong. I already had this discussion with JesuOtaku in the Most Clever/Intelligent Tournament.

A-20 looks interesting. Assuming Guts and Simon both advance to the next round (and I would be shocked if they didn't), that's one tough matchup. I have done most of the Minigame picks but I'm still stuck on that one. I will endeavour to get my picks sent within the next 24 hours as of this post's timestamp.

On another note, this tournament is gonna be interesting from the perspective of new characters versus old. Will Yuhei take down Reinhard? I could see it going either way, as Reinhard adeptly leads fleets and an empire but has some seriously uncool moments. Shichika versus Mugen is a battle between two swordsmen with very different fighting styles and personalities. And of course two well-received shows from this year - Durarara!! and Shiki - both have characters entered.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:25 am Reply with quote
Yikes. Two of the first round square-offs are between my nominees: Izumi Curtis / Mireille Bouquet and Lady Eboshi / Sophie Forrester. Guess that comes from nominating 12 characters.
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:54 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
And speaking of that rush job, how in the hell did we get through the nomination phase without anyone from Read or Die getting nominated?

I did consider it, but decided not to. Papermanipulation powers are pretty cool, but let's face it, you can't really say that Yomiko or any of the Paper Sisters have the characteristics to be considered 'Bad Ass' or even 'General Cool'. Drake or Miss Deep might have qualified, but even so I wouldn't consider them to be particularly strong candidates.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:12 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

On another note, this tournament is gonna be interesting from the perspective of new characters versus old. Will Yuhei take down Reinhard?

Do you really think that Yuhei will take down Reihard? I don’t try to insinuate that Yuhei is uncool, he is a reserved person, I have nothing against it, but he comes across as a stiff person, not a cool one, and he lacks charisma and personal charm that Reinhard has in spades.

I have difficulty in deciding how far Captain Harlock can get. He is the very epitome of badassness, he has all the required requirements in abundance, with attitude bigger than Light\Kira’s enormous ego, but he is from an old franchise, which means lower popularity and this may present an obstacle.

Last edited by Aylinn on Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Key

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:06 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Saeko could get a new picture. I saw an action sequence on YouTube (the one where the sniper round, er - ahem - went between her flailing breasts), and my word that was impressive. She deserves a better image than that. Maybe instead of a still image she could have a .gif showing that sequence? I bet she'd get lots of votes then.

Remember, the pic for her nomination was just a place-holder, as I do specifically want one of her all bloodied up. Of the 35 or so Guide files I currently have done, I have already replaced nomination pictures on a handful of others, too. I dearly hope she makes it to the third round (and I think she will), as video clips of her should be smokin'.

And speaking of that, I just noticed how ugly any probable D-22 match-up looks, too. However far Dark Schneider gets in this tournament, it won't have been against patsies. Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 18 of 21