• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Mameshiba, New Novels Listed by Viz's Distributor

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Koji98

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Great that I can finally own the Ico novel. Ever since I read the chapter by chapter synopsis I've been wanting to read it.
Brand

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Sweet Bean dogs! I love the Mameshiba they are so cute! Ever since my roommate brought back the edamame key chain from Japan. The discovery of the commercials only adds to their awesomeness.

Only a less sqeey note both of the sci-fi novels sound awesome. The Cage of Zeus sounds really inserting to me. I love stuff that plays with gender and it's role in a society.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Redlinks

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:35 pm Reply with quote
awesome, will definitely buy! Been a fan of Mameshiba ever since I saw a corner dedicated for it at Kiddy Land when I was in Japan. Ended up buying a super soft plush of the green one! x3
vashthekaizoku

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:48 pm Reply with quote
On the subject of Viz, did they drop Reborn? The last volume came out last summer. I didn't know where else to ask...sorry...
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Wow, never thought the Ico novel would be released here, that's a real surprise. Looks like the release is timed with the HD game remake coming to PS3 this Summer.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Oh wow, ICO novel. I might actually have to get that, given how amazing the game is.

And MAMESHIBAAAAAA <3
Sakurazuka_Reika

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Wow, never thought the Ico novel would be released here, that's a real surprise. Looks like the release is timed with the HD game remake coming to PS3 this Summer.

Emerje

There is going to be a remake?!

<<says the idiot who just bought the game even though she has no where near enough time to play it and the all the other games she's been buying>>
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Sakurazuka_Reika wrote:
Emerje wrote:
... Ico ... HD game remake coming to PS3 this Summer.

Amazon, at least, thinks there will be a release of an Ico & Shadow of the Colossus collection for PS3 this March 31, at about the same price as the PS2 version of Ico is going at used, last I checked.
bahamut623

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:57 pm Reply with quote
vashthekaizoku wrote:
On the subject of Viz, did they drop Reborn? The last volume came out last summer. I didn't know where else to ask...sorry...

I was hoping that with the next big update on Simon and Schuster there would be some sign of it, but there's nothing. Now I'm pretty sure it's been canceled. I just wish they would give a definite answer. I bought every volume and put up with a really week localization (though it was getting better) and a glacial release rate and never read the scanlations and this is the thanks I get? As much as I hate reading off a screen, it looks like I'll eventually be reading it online :\
Faiga_Raisa

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:49 pm Reply with quote
;A;
MAMESHIBA I LOVE YOUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!

I'm so addicted to them, I have so much edamame merch it's not even funny.
Emerje

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:56 am Reply with quote
Sakurazuka_Reika wrote:
Emerje wrote:

Emerje

<<says the idiot who just bought the game even though she has no where near enough time to play it and the all the other games she's been buying>>

Yes, announced at Tokyo Game Show I believe. Since then it's turned up in US and UK web stores including Walmart and GameStop. Technically it's a "Spring" release date, but seeing as how there has been little info since I doubt it'll make the magical March 31 or April 1 release dates, which aren't even proper Tuesday media release dates to begin with and the dates have been removed from most stores.

It's funny, not long ago you could get ICO at any GameStop for $9.99, now it usually goes for $30+ used. With the PS3 release I'm sure that price will come down again. You do get a copy of ICO and Shadow of Colossus for $40 after all so only collectors will hold on to the PS2 release now.

Emerje
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:11 am Reply with quote
I'm having trouble figuring out how in the world you would make an entire graphic novel about Mameshiba Confused
vashthekaizoku

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:

It's funny, not long ago you could get ICO at any GameStop for $9.99, now it usually goes for $30+ used. With the PS3 release I'm sure that price will come down again. You do get a copy of ICO and Shadow of Colossus for $40 after all so only collectors will hold on to the PS2 release now. Emerje

Sometimes Gamestop raises prices when another game in the franchise comes out as well. Before Birth by Sleep came out, a used copy of Kingdom Hearts was around $12. Now it's $19.99, same as part II. They figure "If they're buying one, why not gouge them on the rest of the series?"
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:54 am Reply with quote
I'm a huge ICO fan, and would normally be excited to see anything related released, but... to be honest, an ICO novel sounds like a terrible idea to me. Anyone know if it's actually good? It just doesn't seem like turning something virtually devoid of text, speech, and description into a mass of words would work out well. (?)

Emerje wrote:

It's funny, not long ago you could get ICO at any GameStop for $9.99, now it usually goes for $30+ used. With the PS3 release I'm sure that price will come down again. You do get a copy of ICO and Shadow of Colossus for $40 after all so only collectors will hold on to the PS2 release now. Emerje

The PAL version's been selling for high prices on eBay since shortly after its release (and despite a later reprint). They just didn't produce enough copies.

The same thing seemed to happen with Chrono Trigger DS... the publishers complained that it didn't sell well, but I had a lot of trouble finding anyone who stocked it, and know friends who didn't buy it because it was out of stock whenever they looked.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1