• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Section23 Adds Asylum Session Anime Film

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TopGunman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Sub-only release?! Wow, that's totally a kick in a face and so not worth it.

Last edited by TopGunman on Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Wow, look at the encyclopedia. Nobody has rated it.

That's amazing. Looking forward to it since I have enjoyed other Comix Wave productions.
Hiyugi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:50 pm Reply with quote
TopGunman wrote:
Sub-only release?! F[beep]K YOU SECTION23!! I'm really sick of hearing an anime being licensed only to find out it's subbed-only.

Give them a break man and that's totally uncalled for. Mad
RestLessone

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Seems interesting. Okay, Section23, I'll bite.
Reibooi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Hiyugi wrote:
TopGunman wrote:
Sub-only release?! F[beep]K YOU SECTION23!! I'm really sick of hearing an anime being licensed only to find out it's subbed-only.

Give them a break man and that's totally uncalled for. Mad

While my reaction isn't nearly as hostile I do have to agree with the sentiment. It's a movie for crying out loud it cannot possibly cost that much to dub. It's not like there is a series worth of dialog in it or something. I have been supporting section23 and Sentai filmworks and will continue to do so but I really do wish they would start dubbing more. Even more so after hearing the(in my opinion) INCREDIBLE Canaan dub which I really wasn't expecting.
pantsmca

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Just when I was thinking nothing of this caliber would be brought out here, this little surprise brightens up my day!

-deletes copy and waits for this-
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:40 pm Reply with quote
TopGunman wrote:
Sub-only release?! THIS MAKES ME UNHAPPY AND I AM USING ALL CAPS TO REGISTER SAID FEELINGS! I'M IN A GLASS CAGE OF EMOTION! I'm really sick of hearing an anime being licensed only to find out it's subbed-only.

Admin note: screaming swear words because of a DVD release is not something we do here.

Its anti sub crybabies like you that give anime fans a bad name.
Ghidra999

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:58 pm Reply with quote
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:
TopGunman wrote:
Sub-only release?! THIS MAKES ME UNHAPPY AND I AM USING ALL CAPS TO REGISTER SAID FEELINGS! I'M IN A GLASS CAGE OF EMOTION! I'm really sick of hearing an anime being licensed only to find out it's subbed-only.

Admin note: screaming swear words because of a DVD release is not something we do here.

Funny, I thought it was anti dub crybabies.

I do agree that this not being dubbed is ridiculous. If Media Blasters can go back and redub some of their sub only releases, ADV can start dubbing some things again. I'd give a pass to a company like Rightstuf for oldschool titles, but this is ridiculous. Either get back in the game or don't. As is, they're going to become like a third wheel. They may license a lot of stuff, but I won't be buying it. If you can't license anything that isn't economical feasible for you to dub let alone stand alone films, that is a sad state of affairs.

Last edited by Ghidra999 on Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Huh, sounds interesting and if it's just a movie then it wouldn't take long to watch then. Hope Netflix picks it up soon!
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Quite note: director Tact Aoki is a disciple of Romanov Higa, of Catblue Dynamite and Tank S.W.A.T. fame. Asylum Session is animated in a similar CG cel-shaded style.
PseudoFiction

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:08 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
Quite note: director Tact Aoki is a disciple of Romanov Higa, of Catblue Dynamite and Tank S.W.A.T. fame. Asylum Session is animated in a similar CG cel-shaded style.

I remember you saying just how bad those two anime are.
Paploo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Not sure if I'll check it out, but I'm all for 19.99 subbed single disc OVA's/movies, Sentai, if you're listening. Lots of really random stuff still out there you could put into this range.

For those who want dubbed stuff, it looks like both Needless and the Clannad movies will have dubs alongside this sub-only release. Sentai does things on a case by case basis, which is fine by me.
Excel Generations

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Ghidra999 wrote:
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:
TopGunman wrote:

I do agree that this not being dubbed is ridiculous. If Media Blasters can go back and redub some of their sub only releases, ADV can start dubbing some things again. I'd give a pass to a company like Rightstuf for oldschool titles, but this is ridiculous. Either get back in the game or don't. As is, they're going to become like a third wheel. They may license a lot of stuff, but I won't be buying it. If you can't license anything that isn't economical feasible for you to dub let alone stand alone films, that is a sad state of affairs.

Yeah I would have to agree. It was always people crying about how "bad" dubs were so they would bash and not buy, but you always get the Japanese Tracks. So it never made sense really... I always remember those types at my schools and even at my college. Fansub this fansub that. Buy the damn product!!! I know not all sub fans are like that but it's those damn sub elite people that just make you hate!
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Ghidra999 wrote:
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:
TopGunman wrote:

Umm, what are you talking about? I've never heard such a thing. Name one instance on this forum where a bunch of people complained about something being dubbed.

I'm afraid you're trying to make apples out of applesauce, buddy. There's no such thing as a large group of anti dub fans. Please stop trying to defend the irate and immature behavior of anti sub morons.

You don't have to buy the title and your entitled to your opinion. But don't defend childish hyperpole.

There are mainstream titles and niche titles,every single one of Section23's sub only releases are niche.
Ghidra999

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:33 pm Reply with quote
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:
Ghidra999 wrote:
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:
TopGunman wrote:

Umm, what are you talking about? I've never heard such a thing. Name one instance on this forum where a bunch of people complained about something being dubbed.

I'm afraid you're trying to make apples out of applesauce, buddy. There's no such thing as a large group of anti dub fans. Please stop trying to defend the irate and immature behavior of anti sub morons.

You don't have to buy the title and your entitled to your opinion. But don't defend childish hyperpole.

There are mainstream titles and niche titles,every single one of Section23's sub only releases are niche.

The bias against dubs by elitist sub fans in anime fandom is not really something I need to elaborate on. It's just there. Many people think dubs are some atrocity committed against the "original versions." If you haven't noticed it, you are either a really new fan or haven't had much contact with the rest of the fandom.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4