• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New York Times Manga Best Seller List, January 24-30 [2011-02-04]

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anime Remix

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:16 am Reply with quote
*Has a heart attack from seeing to much Black Butler* Shocked

If it wasn't already annoying enough to see Hetalia on the list like crazy... Now were have 4 volumes of Black Butler on the list... Shocked
InuNaruPokeAlchemist

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:20 am Reply with quote
Still happy FMA is still on the list Smile
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:01 am Reply with quote
Anime Remix wrote:

If it wasn't already annoying enough to see Hetalia on the list like crazy... Now were have 4 volumes of Black Butler on the list... Shocked

Look at it this way, with the success of Black Butler Yen Press can continue to produce other books such as Bunny Drops, With the Light, and the Bride's Stories (was going to add Kobato but with the name CLAMP attached to it it practically sells itself).
But I hear ya. It would be nice to see a little more variety on these charts. But if stuff like Naruto, Hetalia, and Black Butler allows these companies to produce Children of the Sea, Gogo Monster, Pluto, the titles I mentioned above and a continuous feed of Natsume Ono then I guess we'll just have to suck it up and deal with it. Razz
Anime Remix

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:05 am Reply with quote
The Mad Manga Massacre wrote:
Anime Remix wrote:

Look at it this way, with the success of Black Butler Yen Press can continue to produce other books such as Bunny Drops, With the Light, and the Bride's Stories (was going to add Kobato but with the name CLAMP attached to it it practically sells itself).
But I hear ya. It would be nice to see a little more variety on these charts. But if stuff like Naruto, Hetalia, and Black Butler allows these companies to produce Children of the Sea, Gogo Monster, Pluto, the titles I mentioned above and a continuous feed of Natsume Ono then I guess we'll just have to suck it up and deal with it. Razz
Is Pluto a good manga series to read? I been hearing about it but... yeah... Embarassed

Yeah, your right... Confused
AyumiHamasaki

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:42 am Reply with quote
Just as I predicted in last week's thread, Hetalia took down everything, even Black Butler. But I'm surprised Black Butler's DEBUT week didn't beat Hetalia's FIFTH week.

Hetalia is seriously outselling every manga in the US (except Naruto). Tokyopop has hit jackpot with this.

And that is a big drop for FMA.

Last edited by AyumiHamasaki on Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:06 am Reply with quote
Fujoshi are extremely loyal and are willing to purchase manga in droves, hence why there's 8 fujoshi-targeted manga in the top 10.

Not surprising in the least. I certainly tip my hat to the fujoshi crowd for their buying power.
Kohii

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:21 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Fujoshi are extremely loyal and are willing to purchase manga in droves, hence why there's 8 fujoshi-targeted manga in the top 10.

Not surprising in the least. I certainly tip my hat to the fujoshi crowd for their buying power.

Since some don't like the title "fujoshi", let's just say this is a very bishounen and shoujo-heavy list.

I'm indifferent towards Tokyopop to say the least. But good for Yen Press. I love the works they put out there (own all Yotsuba&!, S&W novels + manga, Haruhi novels + manga, Sundome). *sigh* I need a new, bigger, bookcase. Need more room for addictive Oreimo figures that I'll be getting.
Saturn

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:22 am Reply with quote
fangirls represent! My two favourite series currently being released are dominating the list (Hetalia and Kuroshitsuji, of course). How cool xD
Jaymie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:24 am Reply with quote
It's because fangirls actually care about buying manga. Fanboys pirate their Naruto and Bleach every week without blinking.
FMAvatard

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:49 am Reply with quote
This list...made my week. Anime hyper Black Butler represent! Also, I'm actually very surprised Hetalia shut out volume 4 (still need to buy that one myself). I love Hetalia, but wow...impressive! Very Happy
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Jaymie wrote:
It's because fangirls actually care about buying manga. Fanboys pirate their Naruto and Bleach every week without blinking.

I've been slammed for saying such stuff.
I do see more guys find excuses not to replace their downloaded files with the official releases while I see more gals promise to buy titles they like.

Black Butler is a very worthy title. It almost seems as though a lot of people hate it for some of the fans(Hetalia also), but that is really, really stupid-cutting one's nose off to spite one's face stupid. If the fans bother one, stay away from them & read it in the privacy of one's home. Both volumes of Hetalia had little historical bits I never knew (always verify weird facts when I come across them). Black Butler is an interesting mystery piece, less formulaic than Case Closed (anime. never really got into the Case Closed manga), but of course when something is as fricken long as Case Closed, it IS hard to stay fresh.
vashthekaizoku

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:29 pm Reply with quote
I continue to be impressed with Yen Press' success. Between Black Butler, Soul Eater, and Yotsuba, as well as rescuing Azumanga Daioh, they're getting access to a large chunk of my discretionary cash...Two licenses they (or ANYONE) should grab that have disappeared, are Cromartie High School (which ADV cancelled the same time as Yotsuba) and the Kingdom Hearts manga, which runs in the same magazine as Soul Eater and the late great Fullmetal Alchemist! They've proven they have the mojo to publish great series! I wish them the best!
Saturn

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:31 am Reply with quote
vashthekaizoku wrote:
I continue to be impressed with Yen Press' success. Between Black Butler, Soul Eater, and Yotsuba, as well as rescuing Azumanga Daioh, they're getting access to a large chunk of my discretionary cash...Two licenses they (or ANYONE) should grab that have disappeared, are Cromartie High School (which ADV cancelled the same time as Yotsuba) and the Kingdom Hearts manga, which runs in the same magazine as Soul Eater and the late great Fullmetal Alchemist! They've proven they have the mojo to publish great series! I wish them the best!

It doesn't hurt that they do a GREAT job with their releases-- at least with Black Butler. It's crisp, beautiful, well-translated, and all in all worth every penny.
Every time I think about that, I think about my volume of Paradise Kiss, as written by Al Yazawa -_-
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1