• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Funimation Full-Series Streams Expiring

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crisha

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:44 pm Reply with quote
If this was announced on any day other than today, I'd believe it. But for now, I'm going to wait until tomorrow to see if this is still the case. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:55 pm Reply with quote
'tis no joke. ANN doesn't celebrate April Fools.
lheiskell
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Our shows have online streaming schedules like NBC, Comedy Central and FX. Our shows are not always on.

We take them down for a couple of months. They'll be back up, but in say in about 4 months from now. (don't quote me on the exact time length) They are not gone, gone.

If you really want full 24/7 access to the shows, you can always buy the box set DVD/Blu-ray from Right Stuf, Anime Corner Store or other retailers selling anime, or get the show through iTunes, xBox, Amazon or Playstation for digital episodes for purchase.

We still have all the licensing rights to the shows, but we are giving these shows a break from streaming the full series. You can still watch the first couple of shows to try a series out.

Lance Heiskell
Your Friendly Neighborhood FUNimation Marketing Director Guy
@lheiskell (if you are on the twitters)
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:08 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:

Neither does Chuck Norris.
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:15 pm Reply with quote
I noticed that they took down all but the first four episodes of Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood over a week ago. ANN still has links from the video page and episode listing to many of the episodes, but if you click the links you will find that they are gone. I actually emailed Funimation to ask about them taking down most of the Brotherhood episodes, but got no reply.

I find it kind of surprising that they are stopping streaming most episodes of many of their titles. I personally won't ususally watch something streaming if it isn't all available, and won't normally buy something unless I've watched it and know I like it. So taking down all but the first few episodes of their series significantly decreases the chances of me watching or buying their titles. Have they given any explanation for why they are taking the episodes down?

Edit: I see as I was typing this that lheiskell has given an explanation. That basically answered exactly what I was asking about when I emailed them (assuming that also applies to Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood).
kanjineogeo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Awwwww, so I really need to watch dub only on netflix. I hope netflix brings Japanese audio with engish subtitles.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:41 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:

To which I am extremely happy about. April Fools is okay for your average Joe, but whenever I see a established business do it, I shake my head.

For example, I can only imagine how awesome it would be to see Arakawa Under The Bridge receive a third season. Only to then realize, it is was a April Fool's day joke. For a few seconds, it would be being on a runner's high. But then the let down would occur and counter act said positive feeling.

But on topic, out of every Funimation show I've watched here, I've only watched Tower of Druaga. The other Funimation shows I watched were either on their website or on a DVD. But the commentary on how they are about to expire is at times very hilarious or just fun to read. Probably both.
SonicRenegade84

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:42 pm Reply with quote
kanjineogeo wrote:
Awwwww, so I really need to watch dub only on netflix. I hope netflix brings Japanese audio with engish subtitles.

Stop complaining. You're lucky Netflix has any anime at all.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:49 pm Reply with quote
SonicRenegade84 wrote:
kanjineogeo wrote:

I agree. Netflix could easily stop adding anime and instead focus on other movies. The fact Netflix streams and carries any anime at all is a privilege, not a set in stone requirement.

Something is always better than nothing at all.
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
SonicRenegade84 wrote:
kanjineogeo wrote:

I agree. Netflix could easily stop adding anime and instead focus on other movies. The fact Netflix streams and carries any anime at all is a privilege, not a set in stone requirement.

That attitude makes no sense to me. Netflix is trying to move to streaming titles because it is cheaper for them than shipping DVDs. I currently watch anime from Netflix, but because I want to watch subtitled anime, I rarely watch their streaming anime. If they offered the streaming anime subtitled, I would watch more of the anime I get from them streaming. This would lower their costs and let me get the anime sooner (i.e. I wouldn't have to wait for the DVDs to arrive). So offering subtitled anime streaming would be benefitial for both parties.

Furthermore, as their paying customer, I certainly have a right to ask them to offer services I would prefer over what they currently offer. Asking someone to start offering a service when you are going to pay them for it isn't complaining, but instead providing a company with feedback on how you would like to spend your money.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:01 pm Reply with quote
SonicRenegade84 wrote:
kanjineogeo wrote:

You're absolutely right. A sub fan has no business getting upset over how their preferred viewing method isn't available to them. He should totally shut his mouth and settle for something he doesn't want. He should also count his blessings that the Oh Great and Mighty Netflix God is gracious enough to even consider putting anime on it's sacred site. Way to put him in his place. [/sarcasm]
Ryojen

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
jsevakis wrote:

To which I am extremely happy about. April Fools is okay for your average Joe, but whenever I see a established business do it, I shake my head.

What's wrong with a harmless and well-intentioned joke? For example, today the Urban Dictionary has revamped their site to look like Wikipedia and Google released this hilarious video. You don't need to play a malevolent or deceptive prank to celebrate April Fools.

Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
SonicRenegade84 wrote:

Seriously? We're doing this again?

I remember back when the licensing companies would release grainy DVDs with slapped-on dubtitles, people who complained about the quality would be bombarded by the same excuse. "You're lucky to be getting any anime at all! Stop complaining!" Fact is, anyone who pays for DVDs or Netflix is a consumer. They have every right to complain if the quality isn't to their liking, and the company in question has an obligation to consider if that complaint has any merit. Saying "something is better than nothing" accomplishes exactly that... NOTHING.
SonicRenegade84

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:07 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
SonicRenegade84 wrote:
kanjineogeo wrote:

You're absolutely right. A sub fan has no business getting upset over how their preferred viewing method isn't available to them. He should totally shut his mouth and settle for something he doesn't want. He should also count his blessings that the Oh Great and Mighty Netflix God is gracious enough to even consider putting anime on it's sacred site. Way to put him in his place. [/sarcasm]

Rolling Eyes Actually, you're right. Who am I to complain? I watch mostly dubs to begin with and Netflix has what I want, so who am I to be getting into yours or his/her's problems? [sarcasm]You're right. Forgive me. [/sarcasm]
Richard J.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Can we not fight about language preferences? The proper response to this situation if for Netflix to carry streams in both English and Japanese where available! If they have both, then both groups of fans can be satisfied. We should work together to benefit not just ourselves but all anime fans. By buying anime and watching legal streams, we make it economically possible for our own personal preferences to be catered to as well as the preferences of others.

If it were economically reasonable, I'd call for dubs and subs in all languages. (I'd abolish the silly state-based licensing too and go with language based licensing but the Japanese will probably never accept that one.)

And on the issue of April Fool's Day: I think if ANN did some kind of special thing for Nina or some other kind of comic, that would be a great way to celebrate without the fake news crap some groups pull. (I for one appreciate ANN's no fake news policy. There's always someone who believes the lies and there's always a real story that is confused for a fake one.)
fstony

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Although I've seen what I'm going to, I appreciate the warning. Keep up the good work.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3