• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Keanu Reeves: Live-Action Cowboy Bebop Still Uncertain

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kakoishii

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:05 am Reply with quote
come on now, they've been quiet for 3 years now and there next big news about this project is "we're still knocking on doors?" Yeah okay.... Rolling Eyes it's no big deal to me but honestly with all the money hollywood spends on terrible adaptations of either terrible or mediocre original work, I'm not seeing how a bebop movie is suddenly too big a gamble. Perhaps it's due to the domestic failures of other anime turned blockbuster movie like Dragonball Evolution or Speed Racer which arguably wasn't so terrible but received mixed reviews. I guess they're saving their money for another one of those cartoons turned live action with CG because those movies are so much more appealing /sarcasm.

long story short, the haters can rejoice this movie isn't happening.
skygtr

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:17 am Reply with quote
"I believe there's still knocking on that door, but it has not opened."
Alrighty Vincent...
RoverTX

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:25 am Reply with quote
kakoishii wrote:

long story short, the haters can rejoice this movie isn't happening.

Quote:
"They were forced to eat Keanu Reeves horrible project, and there was much rejoicing."

Yaaaaaay.
JLightstar

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:11 am Reply with quote
Have they tried knocking on heaven's door?
Lightning Leo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:31 am Reply with quote
JLightstar wrote:

Beat me to the punchline! Laughing

It seems they're still thinking about the movie, so it can't be completely dead yet. In its death throes, perhaps, but not completely buried, which could be good or bad depending on your point of view.

Guess we'll see. Whatever happens, happens. Cool
Racheldoublemm

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:43 am Reply with quote
Perhaps he's simply speaking in code, what with the very noted "knocking on that door" comment.

Maybe with this much of a wait will manifest a good adaptation? Only time will tell....a lot of time.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:47 am Reply with quote
Quote:

I honestly thought that Keanu's quote was supposed to be a joke on the animated movie's title.

Sooooooooo, what is this movie supposed to do? I've never been truly sure, it keeps changing. A retelling of the original tale or what? Considering the plot to the original series, I don't see that being a huge problem for development; that could fit in a 2 hour time period easily. (Unlike, say, Witch Hunter Robin, and apparently Street Fighter 4 & Dragonball....ugh bad memories)

I really want a Samurai Champloo movie, any continuation of the series really, but I know that a live action SC is impossible. Hollywood wouldn't go to "real actor, real stunts" route of foreign films, and would instead give us its standard action movie fare--CG wire-fu schlock, and we'd get yet another bad anime adaptation.
Animerican14

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:48 am Reply with quote
I hope that his saying "there's still knocking on that door" was a knowing wink to the Cowboy Bebop movie. Even if he didn't think it while saying it, he should at least be able to look back on the conversation and know what reference could be made out of it. Anyway, he just should've done what Mai Yamane did, or at least taken her advice more to heart:

[...]
Gave it all that I got
And started to knock
Shouted for someone
To open the lock
I just gotta get through the door

And the more that I knocked
The hotter I got
The hotter I got
The harder I'd knock
I just gotta break through the door

Gotta knock a little harder
Break through the door
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Echo_City

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:01 am Reply with quote
Wait a second, we don't actually need a Cowboy Bebop movie.

My fatigue-addled subconscious has just reminded me that Fox's Human Target tv show essentially is a non science-fiction version of Cowboy Bebop. It's uncannily similar. "Spike's" backstory is almost 100% the same, "Jet's" backstory pretty much is the same, there's a Faye Valentine who's almost the same (obviously there's no cryogenic freezer), etc etc.
(I still contend that Firefly was nothing like CB--it was better IMO.)

Quote:
Anyway, he just should've done what Mai Yamane did, or at least taken her advice more to heart:

I still think more of the actual Bob Dylan/Guns 'n Roses song with the same title as the movie when it comes to this, I figured it was an obvious homage.
Gamefish

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:22 am Reply with quote
He could go with the Keymaker again...
Animehermit

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:52 am Reply with quote
Animerican14 wrote:
I hope that his saying "there's still knocking on that door" was a knowing wink to the Cowboy Bebop movie. Even if he didn't think it while saying it, he should at least be able to look back on the conversation and know what reference could be made out of it. Anyway, he just should've done what Mai Yamane did, or at least taken her advice more to heart:

oh, I have little doubt thats what he meant, if you watch the video theres an edge of sarcasm that he has, he knows he's making the reference, not sure if the other guy knows though.
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:16 am Reply with quote
Maybe he's waiting for the American Akira attempt to fail big time first? If he's smart, he'll go "maybe we should quit while we're ahead" and if he's stupid he'll go "We can be the FIRST anime to live action-American film to succeed!"
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:21 am Reply with quote
Can Hollywood just get on with it and **** my fandom already?
Leon Evolon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:44 am Reply with quote
I love how everyone is so quick to bash it even before it has not begun production. Hollywood has some really good movies out there, and Cowboy Bebop really plays into the American ballpark in terms of style. You never know... if it actually gets a big budget then it might turn out to be good. Or maybe I'm just being too optimistic *shrug*
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:40 am Reply with quote
Leon Evolon wrote:
I love how everyone is so quick to bash it even before it has not begun production. Hollywood has some really good movies out there, and Cowboy Bebop really plays into the American ballpark in terms of style. You never know... if it actually gets a big budget then it might turn out to be good. Or maybe I'm just being too optimistic *shrug*

Hollywood + Asian anything = The Last Airbender, Akira's Neo Manhattan, a censored version of Kung Fu Hustle, ethnic cleansing for the movie "21", Aeon Flux, Dragon Ball Evolution, censored Jackie Chan Movies, The Lion King controversy.

Sadly quality remakes like A Fist Full of Dollars and the Departed only come once ever few decades.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4