• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ms. Answerman: World Police

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkhunter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 2:19 am Reply with quote
I think Vagabond would make an excellent tv series but I rather not have it turn in anime form. It almost defeat the purpose of buying the book itself if it's just going to be animated. Books that arn't made into anime, I see them exclusive to the manga reader. Something like Hot Gimmick or XXXholic can only be enjoy by manga fan.

Also The fact that when most violent series that turn into anime, are tone down a little bit (GANTZ & Berserk for example).

But I would to see a short movie on Blade of the Immortal or Vagabond that doesn't follow any story of the manga but create a new one that compliment the books.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 2:53 am Reply with quote
I definitally think that Vagabond would lose alot of its quality if it was turned into an anime. It has violence, but its rather realistic, and would be toned down since the animation couldn't capture the detail of Inoue's art, and the nudity could easily be removed. If anything, I see it becoming a live action drama (I think it already is a play).
But interesting about Samura not letting an anime be made. I think I heard it somewhere before, but I never knew for certain. Unless they put a crapload of cash into it, the look of the manga could never be captured. Plus they would have to tone down the violence alot. I don't care that much about it, but it is kind of key to some Hyakurin's character development in volume 11, and some of Shira's rants would have to be censored. It would seem that Kohta Hirano, Hellsings manga-ka, was so dipleased with how Gonzo handled the anime that he would not let them make a second season (at least until he has enough of a new storyline done that they have something to follow).
As for the question about the setting of mangas, how often do you think another country is accurately portrayed? I'm pretty sure what I've seen in Monster looks like central Europe, but Gunsmith Cat's Chicago looks a bit too much like a Japanese city in my opinion. I've also heard that FAKE's New York is fairly Japanese as well.
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:01 am Reply with quote
Another manga/anime set in America is Chrono Crusade. I'm not a historian on 1920s New York, but I think the city is accurately portrayed.

Kagemusha wrote:
but Gunsmith Cat's Chicago looks a bit too much like a Japanese city in my opinion. I've also heard that FAKE's New York is fairly Japanese as well.

I don't know what you mean, really. If you can tell that it's Chicago or New York...then the artist has pretty much done their job. If the city looks "Japanese," as ignorant as this may sound, well, the comic is drawn in that Japanese manga style. I think there are certain characteristics distinctive of the "manga style". I would imagine (as I am not an avid American comic reader), that if an American comic depicted an Asian city, that it would probably retain a strong "American" feel to it as well.
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 5:19 am Reply with quote
With Gunsmith Cats, the creator did an extensive ammount of research to attain accuracy. On the OAV DVD, they give credit to the ATF, the Cook County DA's office, the Chicago PD, and a few other folks that I can't remember. Other than the right-handed drive system in the comics, it was pretty accurate.
biliano*

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 7:29 am Reply with quote
The Sailor Stars are MEN that transform into WOMEN, not the other way around.
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 7:57 am Reply with quote
biliano wrote:

*PPPPFFFFTTTTT!!!!!!* Their Men?!?

Gives a whole new meaning to the word "Transvestite."
Cassandra

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 8:48 am Reply with quote
biliano wrote:

To be honest, their senshi forms are their true forms. So they are women who are hiding on earth as men. Then they transform back into their female forms to fight.

So...they are women who tranform into men who tranform into women. Anime smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
biliano*

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 8:59 am Reply with quote
Cassandra wrote:
biliano wrote:

To be honest, their senshi forms are their true forms. So they are women who are hiding on earth as men. Then they transform back into their female forms to fight.

So...they are women who tranform into men who tranform into women. Anime smile

You're right; and that's the main - correction, ONLY - reason why Sailor Stars will not be licensed in America.
michelle

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Ironic if that's the only reason, since the author disliked the change that the anime made on that point. Turned out to be a really bad marketing decision on Toei's part, as it's been a cause for some pretty imaginative censoring in many of the non-Asian countries it was adapted. Could English speaking audiences handle women cross-dressing as men 'in disguise' better? Girls in suits are cute! Hm, probably not.
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Two words: Sailor Bubba.
aisasami

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 6:52 pm Reply with quote
xDDDD

I think "Sailor Stars" are suppose to be the Sailor Starlights. >>;
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 7:22 pm Reply with quote
No, I'm pretty sure it's just Sailor Stars. Those three outer senshi are named the Starlights.

anime#795
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 7:47 pm Reply with quote
lianncoop wrote:
Those three outer senshi are named the Starlights.

I believe that is what aisasami is referring to as opposed to the name of the series. The three are known as the Sailor Starlights. Individually known as Sailor Star Fighter, Sailor Star Maker, and Sailor Star Healer.

Last edited by Kazuki-san on Fri Oct 15, 2004 8:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Ooooh. Ooops. It was kinda hard to find out what post they were referring to since they didn't quote.
RabbitRevolution

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:50 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't call Sailor Stars any bloodier than the rest of extremely tame Sailor Moon series. Sure, all the senshi get killed off, spoiler[but they all get revived/reincarnated in the end anyway]- like you couldn't predict that, right? Wink Almost the exact same situation happened at the end of season one. I don't recall any increased violence in the TV version of Stars. The Stars manga might seem a little more violent, but that's because the SM manga was generally more violent than the anime. I think the person who sent in the question will probably end up disappointed if he watches/reads Stars just to see a "bloody" Sailor Moon. I adore the whole SM series of course, but I wouldn't reccomend it to someone just for the very few instances of violence/death found in Stars and the other seasons. Then again, that guy might grow to like SM anyway, so luring him with promised violence might not be such a bad thing, IMHO Anime catgrin
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2