• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Next Forum Tournament - Voting Results

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
*marie-antoinette: While I think L and Light would be a contender, it's far from a forgone conclusion that they would be a front-runner, as there are several other strong options out there. I will also insist on being very particular about whether it's an L/Light rivalry or a Kira/Light rivalry, as both are distinct AFAIC.

Yes, I agree that they won't be the only strong option there but when I think rivals, they are the pair that comes immediately to mind above any others that I've seen, so I have no doubt that they will go far, no matter whether it's L & Light or L & Kira.

The point was that I think Best Rivals will have a lot of characters we've seen come back, more so than say the Love Triangle one would, as Dorcas_Aurelia confirmed. I would generally assume that great heroes, such as those in the Heroic tournament, have great villains to go up against (though this definitely isn't always the case and it's not the only type of rivalry either). And so I think that voting for the Rival tournament because it will bring new characters to the table may be a bit misleading, though of course we can't be sure of that until nominations start.
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
TatsuGero23 wrote:
I like the Rival/Adversary but I think these 2 categories will offer the freshest roster and change of pace compared to the rival tournament.

Um, we have never had a "rival tournament" and duos based on rivalries generally died quickly in the Best Duos tournament.

Well I was thinking more alongs the line that most of the rivlaries will be based on a level of coolness in moments between the two so I thought a good number of match ups might ring close to the last tournament. Obviously there is more to the match ups then just cools fights and whatnot but I thought there be overlap. In comparisions to the other suggestions, those two ideas seem to offer the best change of pace from the last tourney. But I didn't really keep up with the last tourney so I could be wrong on that assumption.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:01 pm Reply with quote
4 points: Best Rivals At the moment, I'm leaning towards the narrow definition of that if it ends up being the choice.

2 Points: Best sensei/mentor/teacher/whatever the heck you want to call it.
The Naked Beast

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:35 am Reply with quote
3 points: Best Rivals
I would prefer Best Adversaries if possible.

3 points: Best Sensei/Mentor
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:40 pm Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
The point was that I think Best Rivals will have a lot of characters we've seen come back, more so than say the Love Triangle one would, as Dorcas_Aurelia confirmed. I would generally assume that great heroes, such as those in the Heroic tournament, have great villains to go up against (though this definitely isn't always the case and it's not the only type of rivalry either).

I did a quick look through of the Heroes tournament, and very few of them have obvious rivals. There were a number of characters like Allison Whittington or Ai Tanabe who were who's primary goals were to help others, or Shu Maritani who fought against an evil and oppressive government but didn't really have an individual to be rivaled against. Being incredibly generous with what I'd consider a rival, I came up with maybe a dozen overlaps, and of the shows I'm not familiar with, maybe a half-dozen more.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Tournament Proposal voting is now closed.

The final results, with 26 people registering votes:

Best Rivals/Adversaries: 63 points *WINNER*
Best Sensei/Mentor: 58 points
Best Love Triangle: 29 points

BR/A edged BS/M in every analysis - most points, most first place votes, highest percentage voting for it to some degree - albeit only barely. That strongly suggests that Best Sensei/Mentor's turn will come up next time, as Best Adversaries was a competitive runner-up last time.

Looking back at the voting, support for the broader interpretation of the winner (Best Adversaries) vs. the narrower interpretation (Best Rivals) was about even. Although my intent was for Adversaries to include Rivals, some did note that Rivals aren't necessarily a subset of Adversaries. I am forced to agree, as friendly rivalries are not inherently adversarial and there are certainly cases where adversarial rivalries become non-adversarial over time (Ichigo and Renji in Bleach comes to mind). There are also cases out there where defining whether or not an adversarial relationship is truly a rivalry - such as Princess Tutu and Princess Krahe in Princess Tutu - is tricky. For that reason I am inclined to make Best Rivals/Adversaries the official name for the category so we don't have to mess with the distinction, but I will ponder this further before making an official posting and still am open to feedback on the issue.

Expect a new thread starting the participant nominations process sometime in the next 6-8 hours.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Aylinn

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:08 pm Reply with quote
I have been thinking, would best opponents be broad enough?
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:44 pm Reply with quote
The Proposal that I was favoring the least out of the 3 got picked, but it still seems interesting and I look forward to it starting. I'm going to be doing quite a bit of travelling this summer so I may not have a chance to participate much anyway.
Tris8

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:51 pm Reply with quote
This wasn't my first choice, but I'm still excited for this tournament to be underway! There are a lot of good rivals out there. Also, Best Rivals/Adversaries is a good choice for titling so there's no confusion.

Also, can't wait for people to hate me for nominating Sasuke and Naruto Twisted Evil
mow123

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Will rival nominations be limited to two individuals or would an individual and an organization also be valid? I was thinking about nominating Ash and Team Rocket. Also, is okay to nominate the same person in multiple rivalries? For example, you could have Light and L as well as Light and Near. Lelouch would also have a number of rivalries. If multiples are allowed, I would limit it to three.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:53 pm Reply with quote
mow123, some of your questions have been answered previously. (Yes, individuals vs. groups and groups vs. groups will be allowed.)

Yes, the "three per franchise" rule will be strictly enforced. (And before you go too gung-ho on CG, consider very carefully which rivalries/adversarial relationships are both enduring and actual two-way conflicts rather than just someone who hates someone else.)

Yes, the same person can appear in more than one rivalry, again, with the 3-per-franchise limit.

All of this will be clearly delineated when I make the set-up post, probably in another hour or so.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Hm, I was looking at different possible nominations, some are pretty straight forward... Some not (Trigun: Would you set up Vash vs Knives although he turns up only in the last few episodes, Vash vs Legato, Vash vs Gung ho Guns?), so I am looking forwards to see the guidelines.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7