• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 1 Million Inu Yasha DVDs Sold

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Worth noting, while 1 million is a landmark worth celebrating (and writing about), Inu Yasha, while popular, is not the highest selling anime ever, or anywhere near it. VIZ just decided to go public with numbers, something most companies generally don't do.

I know of, but can't name, 6 volume series that have sold 1 million DVDs

-t
biliano*

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Congratulations to VIZ for achieving this milestone with their most well-known franchise, Inu-Yasha. Reaching the million mark in sales is a very difficult feat in this crowded entertainment business. VIZ probably went public with it because Inu-Yasha might be their first licensed property that reached this milestone.

If anyone knows the 6 series that reached the million mark, that would be great.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 2:50 pm Reply with quote
I suspect that Cowboy Bebop and DBZ are probably amongst those that had already reached the mark, but hard numbers are always appreciated.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Proman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Godaistudios wrote:
I suspect that Cowboy Bebop and DBZ are probably amongst those that had already reached the mark, but hard numbers are always appreciated.

I bet Pokemon sold more than 1 million copies (whether it's a good thing or a bad thing you're going to have to decide for yourselfs Wink ).
TiredGamer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 12:06 am Reply with quote
1 million DVDs sold out of 22 DVD releases, a movie, two gift sets, and a boxed set... and Viz is proud? Er, and I'm wondering where the 28 DVDs number comes from... unless they're counting total DVDs packaged in which case it looks like more than 28...?
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 2:11 am Reply with quote
tiredgamer wrote:
1 million DVDs sold out of 22 DVD releases, a movie, two gift sets, and a boxed set... and Viz is proud? Er, and I'm wondering where the 28 DVDs number comes from... unless they're counting total DVDs packaged in which case it looks like more than 28...?

I think they actually meant to say each separate unit sold. (Unit being single DVDs, a boxset, etc.)

There is an error in the statement though, because 23 DVDs have been released. The 23 + the movie + Special Limited Edition Set 1 + Season 1 Box (Limited Edition) + Season 1 DVD Box Set + Anime/Manga Box Set (Graphic Novels 1,2 + DVD 1) = 28.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1