• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Supernatural Anime Promotional Videos Streamed

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:41 am Reply with quote
As a Supernatural fan, I must say this has always sounded like a hilariously bad idea. Though to be fair the actual show is as melodramatic as any anime.

I hope it's campy and entertaining enough that it's worth watching with a bunch of my friends for Snark-Film-Night. Or failing that, an actual engaging show.
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:12 pm Reply with quote
I know it's highly unlikely, but is it even possible that, while the live-action show is in repeats, the anime takes over Supernatural's timeslot on the CW for 11 weeks? It IS still Supernatural, after all...

...nah, this probably will never get a US Cable TV airing, let alone network. But still, it's probably gonna be promoted out the wazoo on the live-action series.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:59 pm Reply with quote
I have to say that there's something "cartoony" with the dub. And while it's nice the actors are reprising their roles, it shows that they're not used to dubbing.

I'm curious. Does anyone know where the dub is being done?
larinon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Right Stuf already sent me my copy...

Previously I had ordered the Japanese "sampler" blu-ray which featured the first two episodes (with dub, too) and only cost $10. They seem to be rehashing their favorite episodes into a shorter format which makes things feel a bit rushed on occasion. The animation style is a bit different from what we normally expect in anime as well, but that wasn't really a problem for me.

Supposedly Jensen will voice the last couple of episodes. During the two episodes I saw, the guy they found to fill in for him sounds pretty good but it's still not the same as what we're used to from Dean's character.

I bought the show because I love the franchise and am interested to see what they do with the animated format. Since it mostly looks like a rehashing of the live action series, people who might be indecisive about purchasing it could possibly give it a pass. But there may also be people who have not seen the live action show and then are inspired to check it out after they've watched this series. Ultimately it's an intriguing idea but I'll need to watch more of it.

Maybe they do indeed want to put it on TV. The artistic approach seems to indicate a bit more neutral style rather than looking like the traditional Japanese anime style we're accustomed to seeing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:11 pm Reply with quote
If they did intend to give this a TV run, where would be the best station and time? Probably not network (CW), though doubling up Friday Nights for 11 weeks in place of the live-action series would be interesting indeed. And probably not TNT, which currently airs reruns from 10 to noon weekday mornings. Maybe [adult swim]? Sure, but I don't want anything taking away from the current action anime line-up.

Now that I think of it, there's always the butt-end of the CW Toonzai block. Between that and Saturday Football would probably be the best choice, or maybe in place of Toonzai if 4Kids license goes to hell!
Jessica Hart

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:15 pm Reply with quote
I hear it's on like it's 6th season now.. geeze... does the anime have an actual ending? I'll check it out if it does, that's why I usually don't bother with American live-action shows; they go on forever with no real story in mind. But if the anime fixes all that stuff, I'll give it a shot.
larinon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:53 am Reply with quote
Looking at the Blu-ray set I just received from Right Stuf, there are actually 8 of the 22 episodes that are original anime stories by the Japanese staff. Another episode is based on the comic, and the remaining 13 are retellings of live-action episodes from seasons 1 and 2. I'm glad to see there's some original stuff here, looking forward to watching them.

As for an actual ending, the final two episodes are based on the final episodes of season 2 of the live-action series. So...not really
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
mo-chan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:08 am Reply with quote
It's strange that it's taking so long for them to release the North American BD/DVDs of this series - the Japanese BD/DVDs of this series included both the English and Japanese soundtracks, which means the English language recording has been done for months, so why the delay in getting it released here?? That's just lame....not that I really care about Supernatural the Anime, but if they have the ability to release in both countries at once they just should already. Especially for an adaptation of a show that was originally an American TV show.

...and they wonder why people here just end up streaming everything - it's because of idiotic delays like this one - like I said, the English recording has been complete for MONTHS, and all the volumes for all 22 eps were finished being released in Japan back in April 2011. Yet it STILL takes them another 3 months to get it properly legally distributed here in America. Stupid, everyone's already seen it by now....
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:59 am Reply with quote
mo-chan wrote:

Stupid, everyone's already seen it by now....

Probably not yet by most fans of Supernatural though. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1