• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Hoshi o Ou Kodomo BD/DVD to Have English Subs

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
configspace

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:57 pm Reply with quote
To those who've seen this at Otakon, how was it?
einhorn303

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I'll probably be pre-ordering this.
FaytLein

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:24 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
To those who've seen this at Otakon, how was it?

A pretty darn good movie, with some fairly liberal sprinkling of Ghibli-esque visuals throughout the flick. If you are a Shinkai fan, I recommend it.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:32 pm Reply with quote
70+ dollars + whatever the shipping will be kinda kills it for me...guess I'll wait for Sentai or whoever to license this and sell it overpriced as well...but still less.
Animerican14

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Ooh, the first Japanese BD release w/English subs that I'm genuinely curious about. How competent are the English subtitles on these releases? It's not too much wishful thinking to hope that they're as good as a BD released in the American home video market, is it?

Ugh, but I can never get over those hella expensive BD prices. If I'm to import it, then I'll probably wait for the price to come down some... though by the time a significant drop hits, hopefully a U.S. release will already be confirmed... right? >_> ;; Hopefully Bandai will be in the mood to pick it up; they did a great-as-expected job on 5 Centimeters per Second.

Edit: WOOT 250TH POST.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
einhorn303

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Animerican14 wrote:
Ooh, the first Japanese BD release w/English subs that I'm genuinely curious about. How competent are the English subtitles on these releases? It's not too much wishful thinking to hope that they're as good as a BD released in the American home video market, is it?

Ugh, but I can never get over those hella expensive BD prices. If I'm to import it, then I'll probably wait for the price to come down some... though by the time a significant drop hits, hopefully a U.S. release will already be confirmed... right? >_> ;; Hopefully Bandai will be in the mood to pick it up; they did a great-as-expected job on 5 Centimeters per Second.

The price won't drop. If anything, you'll just lose the ability to get the LE.

On all the Eng-subtitled JP releases I own, the subtitles are perfectly professional (Black Rock Shooter, Nanoha movie, Time of Eve*). This depends purely on the studio and the translators they hire, though; it can't be generalized across the entire JP industry. I believe this is the first time Comix Wave is releasing a JP release with English subtitles.

* The only release I have where they're kind of iffy is the Hong Kong BD of Evangelion 2.22, and it's still perfectly watcheable, just with some odd grammar in places. And that's Hong Kong, not Japan.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:49 am Reply with quote
Animerican14 wrote:

I did the subtitles and they are flawless. Smile

Although I'm not sure how media factory will handle the typesetting.
mudduck454

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:08 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:

I did the subtitles and they are flawless. Smile

Although I'm not sure how media factory will handle the typesetting.

if what you say is true, then you have opened yourself up to being judged, because now I can guarantee someone will go through your work, line for line, and look for the smallest error, and if and when they find it, they will make sure you eat your words about them being flawless.

but personally, I don't mind and error or two, so I wont say a word if I find one.. Razz
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:18 am Reply with quote
Preorder it from Amazon.jp. It's "only" $55 there.

Other than a Black Friday/Xmas splurge, I don't have much to purchase in the last 3 months of this year, so I think I'm just gonna crack and get this. If I was more confident that Comix Wave would allow a BD outside of Japan *cough*MangaUK5cm/s*cough*, then I'd be more than willing for Funi or Sentai to release it here. But a BD probably wont be happening, and this is supposedly full 1080p, so it'd be a crime to watch it otherwise.

Lets just hope the Dollar to Yen doesn't plummet further these next few months Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:44 pm Reply with quote
I'll most likely be getting this. Shinkai movies are fragglin' awesome.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1